PDA

View Full Version : Lake Placid

skimore
08-09-2009, 07:26 PM
What's up with the LP police? I was up their this weekend and they seem to be a little over top with pulling people over and such. One evening when heading for dinner walking off the main drag this police car came screaming in between us and a few other people that were walking toward us. The officer jumps out of the car and goes at her like she just robbed a bank. It was because she had some kind of open container. Before she said a word, he yells at her " do you want to get locked up tonight". Then another police car comes in with lights and sirens. None of them appeared drunk or were being belligerent. The girl wasn't rude or disrespectful at all. More than one time he yelled and stated he was going to lock her up. Granted it's the law, but it really was unbelievable how they were threatening her. Seems that maybe a warning and a little friendlier attitude to the tourists would have been more appropriate. Anytime we went anywhere we saw them pulling cars over and writing tickets. I've never seen anything like it. Kind of makes returning not so enticing.

Spongeworthy
08-09-2009, 08:34 PM
Just another frustrated Barney Fife who couldn't make it as a State Trooper :lol:

Snowballs
08-09-2009, 09:40 PM
Just another frustrated Barney Fife who couldn't make it as a State Trooper :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Still, Skimore is right. even a little bit of that vengeful behavoir could be a real wet blanket on the Placid scene.

skimore
08-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Is that typical up there in the summer that they are pulling people over left and right?

NPN
08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Is that typical up there in the summer that they are pulling people over left and right?

Nope, it's an all year round thing.

Brilliant tourista marketing ain't it?

Snowballs
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM

that surprises me. i would have guessed the other ways. i have friends who are having a large wedding up there next year. i'll have to tell them to keep their " Woo Hoo " -ing down to a minimum. Me too.

NPN
08-10-2009, 09:02 PM

that surprises me. i would have guessed the other ways. i have friends who are having a large wedding up there next year. i'll have to tell them to keep their " Woo Hoo " -ing down to a minimum. Me too.

Listen, it is what it is.

Do I find it stupid, you already know.

But, are you going to let it get in the way of enjoying this incredibly amazing area?

I hope not.

Pretty easy: check your tail/brake/indicator/whatever lights before cruisin' throught town.

Find a designated driver ( and pay him big bucks ) to let you all enjoy that UBU ( I prefer Frostbite ) plus four ( he deserves it ).

Take a deep breath, and let the annoyance of the local Federalai spill off like the unwanted chic off a Loon's back.

Hope to see you all on the 'Face soon!

skimore
08-10-2009, 09:10 PM
When I was coming into town Friday evening I was doing 35 in a 30. Police car does a uie and rides my (.) all the way to the hotel. I thought I was going to get pulled over.

I:)skiing
08-19-2009, 08:36 PM
That that everyone knows the deal.....be aware.

The story is repeated like history. Ski town, bar town, you name it kind of town that may not be "that" popular but is more popular by tourits and the like. Its a fun place. So fun that people (tourists) decide they want to stay or buy second homes. Bla, bla, bla....taxes go up. Taxes go way up.....those young families, turn into older folks whose idea changes as to why they purchased there....soon...they see their tax bill and decide to attend a local meeting. PS..these are the same people who vote in local elections. What am I getting for my $20,000 in property taxes beside a lake view? Crap rolls down hill and the local guys got to please the boss....start writing tickets.

I can name 7 such towns at the tip of my tounge. 5 yrs ago one could walk around a certain beach with an open container and have keggers in the offseason. Now get ready to spend $175 per open beer. Property taxes tripled in at that beach in the last 7 yrs. 'we want to live in this party town...but we dont want the partiers to lower our property values'

It is what it is.

tjf67
08-20-2009, 07:53 AM
I have been living in LP for close to 4 years now and have not had any negative interaction with the police. My girl got a ticket for going through a stoip sign. Guess what she went through the stop sign.

I learned a long time ago if you OBEY THE LAW the probability of getting in trouble goes way down.

08-23-2009, 08:34 PM
TJ67...I agree...but think most of the conversation surrounds folks who are tourists...or have out of state plates. Easy money....very low probability of fighting tickets.

Also..locals vote and can speak up at town council meetings.

snowman
08-24-2009, 07:27 AM
NPN is right...small village, small village police force, large trooper barracks near by. There are lots of police around. Don't be stupid.

They seem to watch teenagers more then adults. I have seen them yelling at groups of kids. It is the same way in the small village I grew up in. Watch out, especially on hot weekend nights.

That said, I have seen the police let things go by.
Last week, there was a wedding party having a good time outside the Northwoods Inn. It was a hot night, there were lots of open containers, harmless yelling at passers-by. The couple of times I went by, the police seemed to be ignoring it.

Snowballs
09-03-2009, 07:46 PM
:shock: another scenario.........

http://www.rr.com/news/news/article/rr/1110/8819728/Fire_chief_shot_by_cop_in_Ark_court_over_tickets

nyspnypd
09-03-2009, 08:46 PM
I will tell you now that small town police do not get as many calls so they get bored and find something to do that is the problem with local police force when the populations is small. Where I am they get plenty of calls and don't get bored. I will say this when an officer is to approach someone they are never suppose to be nice they are suppose to be forceful and loud that is how it is taught now from what I read you said the person got mouthy so of course the officer would get louder and scream at them he also can arrest them so it isn't over the top. It may seem like a small thing but an open container can lead to many things that person can get in their car with that and drive or just get drunk and be all over the place. small things can always turn into something large. Now there is nothing wrong with being a local cop but a trooper will get more action because he has a broader area.

*Disclaimer* I am only a police Explorer not and officer that is how I know this I learn exactly what and officer learns and gets to go out and see it in real life.

09-04-2009, 12:54 AM
The news article from Ark was the scariest, saddest and funniest I have read in a long time. 145 likely retirees with no businesses in town, being policed by 7 officers... while a Sheriffs office likely runs the county...of what 1000? The congressman who got this town their PORK in the 90s with that grant....effectively raised taxes on the same people they were allegedly trying to help with their grant.

This is what I think of....I am hungry, I'll eat my arm. Now I am more hungry....my leg... other leg, other arm...etc.

This town has been taxing these folks, writing them tickets, and now I will bet there are retirements and pensions to pay....for no force.

ComeBackMudPuddles
09-04-2009, 03:23 AM
skimore is right....LP police are a bit too power happy. it's a tourist town....except for after 10 p.m., when there's more of a risk of drunk driving, the LP police should stop acting like it's their private kingdom and calm down.

skimore
09-04-2009, 07:51 AM
I will tell you now that small town police do not get as many calls so they get bored and find something to do that is the problem with local police force when the populations is small. Where I am they get plenty of calls and don't get bored. I will say this when an officer is to approach someone they are never suppose to be nice they are suppose to be forceful and loud that is how it is taught now from what I read you said the person got mouthy so of course the officer would get louder and scream at them he also can arrest them so it isn't over the top. It may seem like a small thing but an open container can lead to many things that person can get in their car with that and drive or just get drunk and be all over the place. small things can always turn into something large. Now there is nothing wrong with being a local cop but a trooper will get more action because he has a broader area.

*Disclaimer* I am only a police Explorer not and officer that is how I know this I learn exactly what and officer learns and gets to go out and see it in real life.

Not sure what you are reading..........but I never stated anything to the fact of the person getting mouthy.......they didn't have a chance to speak

nyspnypd
09-04-2009, 09:08 AM

Not sure what you are reading..........but I never stated anything to the fact of the person getting mouthy.......they didn't have a chance to speak

Alright then I misread but everything there except the part of them getting mouthy is correct. Sorry not sure where I read that then lol

skimore
09-04-2009, 09:25 AM

Alright then I misread but everything there except the part of them getting mouthy is correct. Sorry not sure where I read that then lol

your hypothesizing......gimmie a break

tjf67
09-04-2009, 10:04 AM

And you are playing the he said she said game. :roll:

skimore
09-04-2009, 11:26 AM

And you are playing the he said she said game. :roll:

yeah....I made it all up...I watched and heard the whole thing go down as I was a few feet away

Snowballs
09-04-2009, 12:08 PM
skimore is right....LP police are a bit too power happy. it's a tourist town....except for after 10 p.m., when there's more of a risk of drunk driving, the LP police should stop acting like it's their private kingdom and calm down.

there is the line. CBMP states it well. when it ceases to be a keep the peace situtation and turns into a power/ego trip in any aspect then it tends to get out of control and the darker side of human nature prevails-never a good thing.. not saying that's how it is in Placid as i have no first hand experience. none the less i think tourists should be able to expect a cordial PD in those tourist towns.

in the years i spent in Tae Kwon Do there were many Police, FBI and CIA come thru Master Kong's school. You could read these people like a book. the ones with bad attitudes almost always acted up, bullying the weak, and generally were easier to defeat due to their punk attitude. it would seem they want to be a Mike Tyson but equally true is they are serving a darker side that's easy to measure with the Golden Rule, Life's best yardstick.

nyspnypd
09-04-2009, 04:08 PM
Hate to tell you the police are there to enforce laws not make sure the tourist numbers stay up that is for the local govt. to take care of. Police pulling people over for speeding and having open containers is an safety matter. For the person who said the officer followed him because he was going 5 mph over I wouldn't complain because the officer could have wrote you a ticket a bit excessive yes wrong no.