PDA

View Full Version : Mountain Biking....

I:)skiing
08-13-2009, 09:53 PM
Anyone interested in this? Has there been biking before, what trails will they use. Looks like WF trails are awesome--cannot think Gore will compete (or will want to) for some time.

I personally can't wait....I used to MB on trails around here but got too beat up and quit. Never was able to bike down ski trails---I have been doing it lately at Gore with my then 3, now 4 yo son. We hike up areas around the snow bowl and then bike down.

Having been to Wistler a few times in the summer...I drolled over the idea of doing this some day. Soon it will come.

GORE---PLEASE have some easy stuff for the kids or even less adventursome adults. I know many adults who would just love to ride the gondi---and bike down Sunway a few times and call it a day, at the Tannery.

Skiers/boarders-----or 1/2 cup empty type folks.....any negatives to MB on ski trails?

I can only think of positives. This will surely help the town too! At least one bike shop. I would guess the Tannery would not be open (yet) so folks would drive or ride into town for a cold one. If they open the whole thing up...it would be one sweet ride from the top of the gondi all the way down to NC.

Also poll question...will you MB at Gore?

Snowballs
08-13-2009, 10:50 PM
ya know, i truly have to commend your enthusiasm, it is great! you have labored thru the entire SEIS,(no smalll chore) hiked and posted alot on the interconnect and looks like you'll continue your trend. bravo!!! no matter what the cause, there is nothing,absolutely nothing in this world that trumps enthusiasm. some call it positive attitude. when it's cranked up to the nth degree, we in Tae Kwon Do call it Indomitable Spirit. All take heed - there are few better things one can teach their children, save righteousness, than Indomitable Spirit. it is the soul of the Tae Kwon Do.

you are correct. there used to be downhill biking at Gore. you are also correct that some attention need to be paid to "easier" trails. i've been told it was challenging and not a walk in the park - but fun!. having walked the blues/greens down, i would agree. a friend of mine said they used to get only two or so runs out of a pair of conventional brake shoes. disc brakes of course will do much better. the ski trails are not what one would think when there's no snow on them. large holes and large rocks are everywhere and without good brakes/suspension, it would be work to say the least.

i also gotta give Kudos/Atta boys to Gore for seeing the success of Face's bike business and having the, well i'll say insight, to reach out and attempt to gain new business. like others, i've never been impressed with their insight. this could be a good thing for the mtn if it is run properly. but do they really have what it takes? do they have a " down hill Mike "? that man has spirit and is no doubt a key player in Face's national bike success. one man with spirit, is a majority.

that whole area lacks spunk,IMO. the businesses downtown didn't even have the gumption/smarts to erect signs informing the public of their existance until i wrote about it and Voila! suddenly a pick up truck with a sign in it's bed for a downtown business appearred by Cunningham's. don't give me crap on this, i've discussed it with local media Bosses and they agreed.

i always wanted to rip Gore on my quad. i have found new, large and legal areas to ride in the mtns. Jimmer, are you reading this? pm me.

GO STEELERS!!!

tjf67
08-14-2009, 08:18 AM
Anyone interested in this? Has there been biking before, what trails will they use. Looks like WF trails are awesome--cannot think Gore will compete (or will want to) for some time.

I personally can't wait....I used to MB on trails around here but got too beat up and quit. Never was able to bike down ski trails---I have been doing it lately at Gore with my then 3, now 4 yo son. We hike up areas around the snow bowl and then bike down.

Having been to Wistler a few times in the summer...I drolled over the idea of doing this some day. Soon it will come.

GORE---PLEASE have some easy stuff for the kids or even less adventursome adults. I know many adults who would just love to ride the gondi---and bike down Sunway a few times and call it a day, at the Tannery.

Skiers/boarders-----or 1/2 cup empty type folks.....any negatives to MB on ski trails?

I can only think of positives. This will surely help the town too! At least one bike shop. I would guess the Tannery would not be open (yet) so folks would drive or ride into town for a cold one. If they open the whole thing up...it would be one sweet ride from the top of the gondi all the way down to NC.

Also poll question...will you MB at Gore?

Yo skiing,

Are there any sigle track around town? I live in LP but come down to NC on wed and was looking for some riding. Could not find any and I workwith a bunch of girls who are no help with my question.

08-14-2009, 04:04 PM
TJF67----I rode Garnet Hill Lodge X-country trails last week with my 4yo....too hard. We rode the easist, grass was 12-14 inches tall and it was uphill 50% of the time, easy trail was a loop. Not good for him. That said....there sure looked like some good trails out there. I would say not well ridden, but I bet you can find a good time.

Could not beat the price---$5.00 for the day. Their map may be on line...bet you could call or write and they would give you one. But for 5 bucks....ride it and see. Might want to comment here.

Don't know of anything else--I am a newby.

rossi
08-15-2009, 05:51 PM
i cannot wait. ive emailed them a few times in the past about biking there and they always responded saying soon they will open again for biking. ill be there opening day hopefully riding a scott gambler.

08-27-2009, 09:02 PM
I saw three employees in the kids camp lodge over the weekend. Each knew that MB was coming, none knew what trails were going to be open or if any "trail work" was being done. I was unable to hike this trip.

For what it is worth....I hope sunway will be one of them. I think kids---young and old (60-70s) could ride the pitch. As long as any cut backs...dont have real steep drops. IE widen turns and place them where there is little to no gravel or loose dirt. NOTE: THis is for beginners. Gravel, roots . rocks etc can be on the traverses.

rossi
08-28-2009, 06:21 PM
yea. im not expecting a whole lot. i dont think any actual trail work is done. they prolly are just gunna leave ski trails open and the work roads, which would kinda suck. as far as single track and some true DH runs go, wtvs left from when they use to be open is gunna be really over grown. id love to be wrong and suprised and have some legit DH runs going. but i cant see it happening with all the work they have over at the ski bowl and interconnect lift

09-08-2009, 11:03 PM
First person down...MUST 1) take photos. 2) scan map or describe the trails that are open 3) tell the rest of us...whats up?

I plan to be there in a few weeks. But I have to put a roof on my home....so not sure if I will have free time. I think I will, but that is now.

Anybody know some laborers willing to work for a buck?

PS..the MB camp Gore is offering seems quite reasonable...I hope it is well attended.

Snowballs
09-09-2009, 12:06 PM
Roofing party at I :) roofing's.

rossi
09-10-2009, 04:00 PM
haha. ill save you time and money. it isnt worth it at all. one trail open, and just like skiing they put it in the worst possible areas with a long steep uphill climb. trails...i mean trail, lacked flow and couldnt really keep speed around a few of the corners. also right in the middle of the trails there is uphill spots were, unless you are riding a XC bike, you have to get off and walk up. all in all go to whiteface, for the extra $4 you get about soo many more runs and such a better atmosphere. plus the trails are a lot more user friendly.

Snowballs
09-11-2009, 12:52 PM
that's disappointing, but it seems to be part of the pattern for Gore. perhaps it will improve as time goes by. i was gonna ride Gore, not now. there's better things to do with a nice fall day.

rossi
09-11-2009, 03:06 PM
yea. i rode the actual trail twice and then just went and explored. i took the work road all the way down, took sunway, which was a mistake becuase there was soo much grass you couldnt see what you were riding on and more than a few times i hit rocks that almost sent me over the bars. if you were to bike up there and have a XC bike it would be a lot of fun i think. no one is really there o tell you not to go anywhere. i was gunna take twiset and cut over to BR and see what was going on over there, but im on a 41lb bike with 9.5" of travel so pedaling kinda sucks. haha. but with a nice XC bike you could explore the entire mt without running into anyone who will really yell at you.

09-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Rossi, thanks for the report as disappointing as it was. So what I am hearing you say...absolutely no beginner trails yet. Maybe this is why no one could answer what "trails" would be open...maybe no one had an idea then.

Did you talk to anyone about your experience, supervisors, guides, anyone? Did you ask or inquire as to new trails that might open? Was there even a map.....or am I hearing you right.....ride up the gondi...and have fun in the wilderness alone, under the idea that the crowd/locals will make the trails overtime.

rossi
09-11-2009, 09:38 PM
there was a run, that was on and off the normal trails. it went as followed; get off the gondi and ride over towards ruby run, you take the small work road down to the rest of ruby run where its nothing but crushed stone the size of baseballs (if you go id highly recommend bringing extra tubes). once on the flats you go past the saddle and onto twister, you go over the roller as you make the left at the fork and as soon as it levels off you go into the woods. nothing to challanging really, theres a couple lines that are easy to follow that take you around some of the bigger rock, ruts, and roots. from there you pop out on upper slieghride and shoot straight across back into the woods again. same deal there, a a few lines around some rocks or roots. one rut in particular threw me over the bars but that was my mistake for taking to much speed into a turn. you then pop out on showcase, ride about 100ft down the trail and go into the woods above lower sleighride. same deal, nothing to overly challanging. then when you go to get onto wild air, theres a stupid little turn that you loose all your speed on and then you ahve to put a few good cranks in to get you over the snowmaking pipe (there are some smaller logs infront and behind it to make it easier, but they should have done 2 small ladders). another striaght shot into the woods again. sae deal as all the others, nothing challanging, just ride and find your line. but again, and this one is worse, a stupid turn up hill that you loose all speed on and pretty much have to walk up unless you have legs of steel....or in the right gear. ha. by then you are on sunway and go into the work road, ride that for 100ft and theres a sign that tells where the trail is and points up the incredibly depressing hill, atleast for me cuz 41lb bike+full body armour=not fun in anyways. prolly 300ft or more at a steep pitch. not rideable even with a light XC bike. so hike up that and catch your breath at the top. then you go down the trail, which gets pretty steep and rocky so maintain a comfotable speed cuz at first it isnt bad, but then you get into some loose rock. this trail is btw, from the time you hike up to where ill say "into the woods..." is about 6-7ft wide. anyways, so watch out for that if you go up there, ride down to the midstation on the old gondi, but there isnt a sign on where to go and it looks like the trail would go straight, but it doesnt it goes right away from the mid station. ack into the woods again and this is where the trail gets fun. some good single track that had a few good challanges along the way. a couple nice rocks to air off of along with some rocks that will rip your derailler(sp?) off. some small uphill spots but these you could eaither keep your speed or pedal up without to much work. this part of the trail was the best, like i said good terrain, tricky lines, and just more of what mtbing should be like. you come out on the tannery work road, right about the middle or lower, im not really sure its been awhile since ive hiked, or skied it. the work rd wasnt to bad, catch your breathe a little and take your time. from there im sure most of you guess. go past the magic carpet and head back to the gondi. now if the tickets were $10 for all day, id say it would be worth every penny, i still wouldnt go tho unless i had a smaller travel bike. the best part was being able to ride where ever withought anyone really saying not too. BUT!!!! i am not encouraging that becuase with that you really are taking a risk, so either ride with someone or make sure ppl know where you are going. if you do decide to do that, i heard from a guy that going down poweder pass or pete gay and down the work rd past the quad is suppose to be a fun little run that bring you to BR. another small thing is if you go ride, dont ride the trails that are over grown with grass. i took sunway and was prolly doing about 30 when i hit a rock and almost went over the bars, prolly one of the scariest moments ive had on a bike. if i still have the trail map ill try and take a pic and upload it so it can better show what the trail is like if my description doesnt make sence, im falling asleep as i write this. haha.