PDA

View Full Version : Let the '09-'10 games begin!!!

NPN
08-20-2009, 07:58 PM
So, it's the a.m. stroll to the mailbox in 73% humidity, and 87 degrees on the thermomometer, but it becomes instant Winter as I move the bills out of the way to reveal the first GEAR GUIDE!!!

Okay, yeah, it's the thinest mag SKIING has ever sent me, but at least there is still a ski mag out there.

Ahhh, the unofficial start to the season.

http://www.skinet.com/skiing/

Spongeworthy
08-21-2009, 10:04 AM
So, it's the a.m. stroll to the mailbox in 73% humidity, and 87 degrees on the thermomometer, but it becomes instant Winter as I move the bills out of the way to reveal the first GEAR GUIDE!!!

Okay, yeah, it's the thinest mag SKIING has ever sent me, but at least there is still a ski mag out there.

Ahhh, the unofficial start to the season.

http://www.skinet.com/skiing/I picked up SKI mag (also very thin) at Barnes & Noble this week. SKIING is still not on the newsstand.

Very disappointing SKI Gear Guide. The reason SKI is so thin: very few ads for gear. I wonder what came first -- the exclusion of a lot of skis from the guide, or the decision by many manufacturers not to spend on advertising.

Spongeworthy
08-21-2009, 05:58 PM
A friend gave me her SKIING Gear Guide (I guess I should treat her to lunch).

Quite a bit better than SKI's. More gear and -- SURPRISE -- more ads. Better articles, too.

mattchuck2
08-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Skiing gear guide was lacking for me. The article on McConkey was almost identical to one that I read in Outside Magazine a month ago. Other than that, there were no articles, tiny pictures in the gear guide section, and no information about who was testing and which skis were liked by which testers . . .

Lame.

Was nice to finally get a ski mag, though . . . It's almost here

highpeaksdrifter
08-21-2009, 09:34 PM
I thought Skiing was the worst gear review I've seen from a major publication in a long time. Way too few skis reviewed and the boot section was even worse. I have not seen Ski yet. I'm looking forward to Ski Press, for me they are the best.

Harvey44
08-21-2009, 11:46 PM
The fact is that in most categories print is dying. Even the strongest newspapers are loosing circulation and contracting. Magazines are getting thinner. As readers move to the internet, print readership declines and advertisers follow the eyeballs. The major daily paper in Seattle recently suspending printing, laid off 75% of it's workforce and continues to publish online.

Five years ago you'd put an advertising deal together with a newspaper or a magazine and they'd throw something electronic in as added value...something free to seal the deal.

Recently we did a deal with the NYTimes ....email and banners....and the PRINT was thrown in free. That would have been unheard of just a few years ago. The times they are a changin.

mattchuck2
08-22-2009, 12:00 PM
I'm looking forward to Ski Press, for me they are the best.

+1

Spongeworthy
08-22-2009, 01:15 PM
I'm looking forward to Ski Press, for me they are the best.

+1And it's FREE :D

snowman
08-24-2009, 07:33 AM
Skiing during an olympic season is always a good time.

NPN
08-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Freeskier's BG showed up in the mailbox today, and, while it was equally thinner than usual like Ski, and Skiing, it defrinitely had a ton more adverts.

Obviously, the industry is courting the 8-24 demographic.

Though, IMHO, Lange dropped the ball BIGTIME with their choice for the Local Lange Girl poster.

oldskibum
08-27-2009, 07:16 PM
I thought Skiing was the worst gear review I've seen from a major publication in a long time. Way too few skis reviewed and the boot section was even worse. I have not seen Ski yet. I'm looking forward to Ski Press, for me they are the best. I too enjoyed Ski Press, I have every issue, from volume 1 issue 1 up to, but NOT including last spring!! Couldn't find it any where, even their web site disappeared!! I'm thinking that they may have gone "belly-up"! I sure hope not! Anyone know???

highpeaksdrifter
08-27-2009, 08:17 PM
I thought Skiing was the worst gear review I've seen from a major publication in a long time. Way too few skis reviewed and the boot section was even worse. I have not seen Ski yet. I'm looking forward to Ski Press, for me they are the best. I too enjoyed Ski Press, I have every issue, from volume 1 issue 1 up to, but NOT including last spring!! Couldn't find it any where, even their web site disappeared!! I'm thinking that they may have gone "belly-up"! I sure hope not! Anyone know???

Still alive and well OSB

http://www.skipressworld.com/usa/

oldskibum
08-29-2009, 04:31 PM

Still alive and well OSB

http://www.skipressworld.com/usa/ Thanks HPD, got it back on my favs! Don't know what happened, but couldn't find one anywhere (mag.) or online, had it on favs too! Thanks again.