PDA

View Full Version : Okay, Print, or Internet?

NPN
08-24-2009, 08:04 PM
This point was raised in the "Gear Guide" thread, but I didn't want to 'jack that subject.

No doubt, I REALLY appreciate the almost unlimited access to information, and research I find on the WWW, but I can't even begin to imagine how much I would hate a World where I couldn't find a magazine, or daily newspaper in/on the mailbox/newstand.

Yes, I get that the economics are going that way, but I don't find the experience of reading on the web anywhere near as enjoyable as the mag, book or paper in my hand.

So, I ask the forum, am I alone on this one ( I guess I must be seeing how things are going in the publishing World ), and/but, if not, would you be willing to pay more for an in hand print option?

Just wonderin'.

mattchuck2
08-24-2009, 09:00 PM
I really like relaxing on my couch and leafing through a magazine.

I don't have a laptop, but even if I did, it wouldn't be the same. I'd definitely pay for the print version.

Harvey44
08-25-2009, 07:30 PM
I'm the guilty party on the gear guide hijack. :oops:

I think a lot of people feel the way Matt does. I do. I'm a big fan of the NYTimes and I read certain parts every single day. I get the paper comped, and i don't know if I'd pay over $400 a year for it. One thing I know for sure... I'd never read that much of it online.

The internet's dirty secret is that a huge portion of the content comes from news organization and writers that work for (struggling) companies that were basically print based. When they go down...the demand for information won't go away. Websites will start to charge more for it the way print does. Clearly costs of web information are less ...no paper involved and reduced delivery cost. But costs will rise.

Also...word is that apple is working on a devise that will simulate the "experience of paging through" a magazine or newspaper.

NPN
08-25-2009, 07:48 PM
[quote="Harvey44"]I'm the guilty party on the gear guide hijack. :oops: quote]

Nope, you were part of the thought process that made me want to know how others on this Board weighed in on the subject.

I just thought I'd leave Gear there, and this here.