PDA

View Full Version : Nice pic of WF

ComeBackMudPuddles
09-01-2009, 09:39 AM
nice shot of WF on the "whiteface mountain" facebook page:

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs136.snc1/5810_128105093406_511418406_2326931_4480956_n.jpg

evantrentful
09-02-2009, 08:56 PM
Oh man its to bad about there expansion mandate to 30 miles of runs. Looking at this picture just makes me think of all the development they could do on lookout mtn and turn it into the other major area. Imagine if they built a second gondola from the top of lookout down to around where the Kid campus area is (or even over more towards the baselodge).

highpeaksdrifter
09-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh man its to bad about there expansion mandate to 30 miles of runs. Looking at this picture just makes me think of all the development they could do on lookout mtn and turn it into the other major area. Imagine if they built a second gondola from the top of lookout down to around where the Kid campus area is (or even over more towards the baselodge).

I wish it was 30, it's only 25. UR right there is so much more that could be done. Maybe sometime in the future a creative way to access the old Marble Mt. trails..just sayin and just hopin.

Snowballs
09-02-2009, 09:31 PM

AMEN! even the " bowl " between LWF and Lookout that the main mtn forms. plus, as mentioned, the part to the right of the Wilie. or the backside or skier's right of the gondi. dreaming.

which one is Marble mtn?

" Exploring the 46 high peaks of the ADKS " has a great section 'bout the old ski trails between Face and the North Pole. it also tells of some still visible trails and left behind signs, buildings and lift apparatus still on the mtns. i think it's in the mtn Ester plus Face chapters.

Face is such a great mtn it's too bad there's not a 50 mile trail limit.

CUskibum
09-04-2009, 10:15 AM
howdy HPD and snowballs.

Not to change the subject or anything, but I just google earthed the Whiteface area trying to find Marble Mountain, and I came up empty. I was kind of looking for backcountry stuff, even though whats left is probably overgrown and wouldn't be skiable unless there was a ton of snow.

Also, I haven't hiked WF/Esther yet, does the trail go through the marble mountain area??

highpeaksdrifter
09-04-2009, 12:23 PM
howdy HPD and snowballs.

Not to change the subject or anything, but I just google earthed the Whiteface area trying to find Marble Mountain, and I came up empty. I was kind of looking for backcountry stuff, even though whats left is probably overgrown and wouldn't be skiable unless there was a ton of snow.

Also, I haven't hiked WF/Esther yet, does the trail go through the marble mountain area??

There are 2 ways you can go that I know of to hit Marble Mt., both are off Memorial Highway. You can start from the reservoir trailhead for WF. After you hike up a mile or so you’ll see a concrete base once used for the T-bar I think. You’ll also see a sign that points you to the right to go down to the weather station, if you go that way I’m told you’ll see the trails. I’ve never done it, I’ve continued up the trail toward the summit of WF.

The other way is to go a little further ways up the Memorial highway and park at the weather station and hike up the Marble Mt. trails. This would probably be the way to go to hit WF and Easter, see the trails, and not really go out of your way. I've never gone this way, but I'm told it's the way to go.

Take lots of pics and post them here. Have a good time.

Snowballs
09-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Hey back at ya and good " C U " skibum. i'll have to get that book out and reread the sections on this subject and get back to ya. i know there have been a few ski areas between Face and the North Pole over the years. Face became the final spot due to the difficulty maintaining a snow base on the others. Wasn't there some effort/idea to originally ski the back side of Face?

It's cool the way the Board has lit up these last few weeks. Dad must be very happy! 8)

nyspnypd
09-04-2009, 04:13 PM
Hey back at ya and good " C U " skibum. i'll have to get that book out and reread the sections on this subject and get back to ya. i know there have been a few ski areas between Face and the North Pole over the years. Face became the final spot due to the difficulty maintaining a snow base on the others. Wasn't there some effort/idea to originally ski the back side of Face?

It's cool the way the Board has lit up these last few weeks. Dad must be very happy! 8)

I was told by someone a few years ago if they built on t he other side of the mt. you would have alot more snow than the current side. Not sure to the truth of it but it would be nice if we could get down the other side too.

takeahike46er
09-05-2009, 12:25 AM
From my hiking experience, there seems to be marginally more snow on the north and west slopes of the Whiteface massif. Some of this is simply due to a northern exposure negating much of the snowmelt caused by the sun.

Another factor is the Ausable River Valley. When low pressure systems funnel above freezing temperatures up the Champlain Valley, the low lying river valleys that drain into Lake Champlain (such as the Ausable) provide a clear passageway for warmer air to spread into the area. This can cause mixed precipitation or even melting on the slopes east of Wilmington Notch.

Snowballs
09-05-2009, 11:07 AM
that was interesting, 46er. thanks. i've often wondered about the purported snow on Face's backside.

any of you guys ever hear of Champ, the loch ness type monster said to inhabit Lake Champlain?

Back in the day, one of the large tour boats reportedly bumped the beast. many people, some prominent ones, saw her. off and on sightings have occured. one lady says she saw it on the land several times. one night her dogs were barking. when she looked outside Champ came out of the darkness, across her yard and headed towards the lake. she claims it was as tall as the outside light mounted on a telephone pole. others have Champ tales. there's a Champ fest and contraversy as Lake George folk say that beast resides in their lake and it's correct name is ..........Georgie.

anybody know how Chapel pond got it's name? it has to do with Gentleman Johnie Burgoyne.

i know this is a hijack, but it doesn't seem this thread will go far.

nyspnypd
09-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Prfect 46er thank you I knew I heard it just never heard it too much. But the monster part everyone has those types of stories whether they are true or not no one will really know until they find the body of the so called monster. Do I believe it not really but I am the type that's likes the paranormal theories that's why I like the show Fringe if anyone has seen it you will know what I like.

ComeBackMudPuddles
09-07-2009, 03:09 AM
couple quick thoughts....

i've hiked esther and WF from the marble mt weather station. the trail follows the old t-bar line, including old concrete bases. however, the whole area is really overgrown, so it's not skiable. if anything, all the brush and young-ish trees probably makes it less skiable than "virgin" terrain (but, i'm not a backcountry skier, so i might be wrong).

regarding the snow, my understanding was that one of the main reasons for moving the ski trails from marble mt to their current location was a lack of consistent and reliable snowfall on the marble mt side....now, with snowmaking these days it's probably not much of an issue, but decades ago it was.