PDA

View Full Version : Autumn colors

TomCat
09-02-2009, 12:08 PM
Any recommendations on whether I'd be better off making a trip on 9/19 or 10/3 for foliage?

tom

Snowballs
09-02-2009, 01:37 PM
while it's early yet, 9-19 would no doubt still be green. 10-3 would be a better bet. Gore's harvest fest is10/10-11.

Gondi ride up then walk to the summit is fun. garnet can be found along side the work road on cloud, esp just below the lower darby/headwaters/cloud intersection. kids dig it. they feel like they're finding jewels.

call me cheap, but it kinda pains me to pay for the fall Gondi ride when we're a full season passers and are used to many free trips up. i feel season passers should ride free during harvest fest and like someone said before perhaps more would then go and drop additional coin at the harvest fest. we would go just for the gondi leaf peep and once there, i'm not cheap and would surely drop a c-note.

think i'll save a penny and say .........just my .01 worth. :)

TomCat
09-02-2009, 01:48 PM
Thanks. I've never made the harvest fest. I agree about the gondi ride - tough to justify as a passholder.

tom

Snowballs
09-02-2009, 03:00 PM
you're welcome.

if it was a lower cost it wouldn't be so bad. last year we bought the family's full season passes at the harvest fest(~$1800.00), walked directly out to ride the gondi and it was i believe $40-50 for two of us to ascend. :shock:

TomCat
09-03-2009, 08:35 AM
I'll hike Dippikill for free (there's some very nive views there) and put to $40 toward dinner.

tom

rossi
09-03-2009, 08:53 AM
pay $30 bring your bike and ride up and bike down all day long.

mattchuck2
09-03-2009, 06:49 PM
(post deleted)

Snowballs
09-03-2009, 07:21 PM
Are they really making any money from regulars anyway?

excellent point. no doubt more of us local passers would then attend the fest. or they could include several/few free summer trips up if they feared it would be taken advantage of. more people in the 'hood = more cash spent that area. would be a good neighbor thing helping local businesses and no real dollars lost by Gore. people like my family would even bring the in-laws/freinds, who would by 2 gondi tiks, then even more people would be there dropping dollars.

Harvey44
09-10-2009, 04:04 PM
Looking at the photos of the chopper on the Whiteface site...

http://www.whiteface.com/newsite/onmtn.php

...it looks like the colors are moving right along. Not sure when those pics where taken.

I'm one who likes it on the green side of peak. I think when the green is added in there is more variety and you've still got more leaves left up on the trees.

Due to work we had to put our week off until 9/19. For my taste, I'd rather be going up tomorrow.

x10003q
09-10-2009, 10:37 PM
excellent point. no doubt more of us local passers would then attend the fest. or they could include several/few free summer trips up if they feared it would be taken advantage of. more people in the 'hood = more cash spent that area. would be a good neighbor thing helping local businesses and no real dollars lost by Gore. people like my family would even bring the in-laws/freinds, who would by 2 gondi tiks, then even more people would be there dropping dollars.

I know a few business owners in NC. Gore is not a good neighbor. They overcharge for the ads in their brochures, they do minimal co-op marketing, they do not give season pass discounts to local businesses, and they are hard to deal with.

ORDA promotes the Village of Lake Placid as if it were part of ORDA........wait, I forgot, IT IS part of ORDA, or at least part of the ORDA Board of Directors.

"Come visit Lake Placid, Winter Capital of the East! Ski the Mighty Whiteface! Stay in the ORDA Lodges in downtown Lake Placid! Ride the money losing Bobsled! Ride an Elevator to the top of the money losing Ski Jump! By the way gore is like 200 miles from here , has no place to eat or sleep, and is sometimes closed on Sundays. It is Better To Stay Here In Lake Placid!"

There's your yearly ORDA marketing plan in a paragraph.

Denison
09-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Any recommendations on whether I'd be better off making a trip on 9/19 or 10/3 for foliage?

NY Weekly Foliage Report
http://fallgetaways.iloveny.com/foliage_report.html

Denison
09-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Another one:
http://www.foliagenetwork.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&id=34:northeast-us&Itemid=68&layout=default

Harvey44
09-14-2009, 04:04 PM
I like following the foliage reports too. Though they don't seem to account for elevation. I guess it would be hard to do.

In any case looks like to me like NY beats VT (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/09/fall-foliage-from-outer-space.html) for pure volume of color. :D

Can't tell if the peaks are dark because they are all evergreen or if the leaves were gone up top by the time that shot was taken.

ComeBackMudPuddles
09-15-2009, 02:51 AM
I like following the foliage reports too. Thought they don't seem to account for elevation. I guess it would be hard to do.

In any case looks like to me like NY beats VT (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/09/fall-foliage-from-outer-space.html) for pure volume of color. :D

Can't tell if the peaks are dark because they are all evergreen or if the leaves were gone up top by the time that shot was taken.

awesome shot, thanks.

the ADKs have a nice, RICH color. interesting how ontario has such a wide swath of color. didn't know that.

TomCat
09-15-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks for all the info. As usual my schedule (really my kids' schedules) will be making my decision for me and I likely will be heading up this weekend.

tom

TomCat
09-21-2009, 07:54 AM
We spent Saturday afternoon sailing around Blue Mountain Lake. Color was pretty decent up there and should be excellent by next weekend. Blue mountain lake boat livery rents kayaks and canoes if anyone is looking to spend a leisurely day on the water.

A bit less color in Indian Lake and North Creek, but definately starting to change. No noticable changes at Lake George yet.

tom

Harvey44
09-25-2009, 06:32 PM
TomCat was right....Blue Mtn was definitely ahead of NC, I was amazed at the difference...we were there on Tues and it was really poppin. We were in the Siamese yesterday and today at elevations around and above 2000'. If you like the Sugars and Reds like I do, your time is here.

Snowballs
10-14-2009, 10:51 PM
10/3 is much better for Leaves.

They should make the summer Gondi free for passholders. . . . Are they really making any money from regulars anyway?

according to a new post on the Face board, Snowman says he got a free gondi ride at Face last Saturday during the Flaming Leaf Festival cuz ....SEASON PASSERS RODE FREE!

What the heck! Why isn't it the same for Gore? this inequality is unfair. Geeeeeeeeeeze!

Very Lame ORDA!

Please justly reconcile it by making Gore and Whiteface fall gondi rides the same for season passers - Free! Thank You.

Denison
10-15-2009, 10:07 AM
Please justly reconcile it by making Gore and Whiteface fall gondi rides the same for season passers - Free! Thank You.

ORDA will gladly meet you halfway and reconcile matter by charging pass holders for WF rides as well... 8)

adkskier
10-15-2009, 10:58 AM
Gore will let pass holders ride down for free. The ride is compliments of Mike Pratt's generousity!

Snowballs
10-15-2009, 11:05 AM
figures.