PDA

View Full Version : More Slides Please

asland
09-14-2009, 06:38 PM
I've skied these slides and love them.

Whiteface has to dig deep down to find a way to open the slides more this year.

I backcountry ski stuff that have way worse conditions than the slides and have a safe and great time. Colden, gothics, and Marcy gets hiked and skied all the time in worse conditions. The slides sit closed.

Our next door neighbors -Stowe, Sugarbush, and Jay - turn a blind eye to people hiking or skiing into their side-country in often far worse conditions than the slides are. The slides sit closed.

Snowbird and Alta allow skiers out into massively steep rock strewn on Mount Baldy most winter days in conditions rivaling the slides. The slides sit closed.

With a new mountain manager it is a perfect time to revisit the rules of the slides. Whiteface must relax their rules regarding the opening of the slides this year. It's in my best interest, your best interest and frankly in the best interest of Whiteface.

Open the Slides, please!

asland

Baldtodabone
09-14-2009, 10:06 PM
If you ski back country why are you worried about the slides. If they open them more its only a chance for people that have no business skiing them to be in there. I've almost killed myself avoiding tourists doing snowplows in the slides, I'm not even exaggerating. If you know where to go and when to go in the back country do it. The bottom line is that Whiteface has to plan for the worst skier out there. It's no easy task to get an injured person out of the slides. Yes I think it would be great if conditions permitted and they could open them more. But there's a lot of factors that we don't even know about that contribute to opening the slides. It doesn't really come down to the Mtn management, its up to the ski patrol and what they think is safe.

asland
09-15-2009, 07:13 AM
If you ski back country why are you worried about the slides.
Because the slides are great trails. You know when you ride Chair 6 - summit chair - you look over there and say to yourself, I wish I was over there!"

If they open them more its only a chance for people that have no business skiing them to be in there. I've almost killed myself avoiding tourists doing snowplows in the slides, I'm not even exaggerating. If you know where to go and when to go in the back country do it. The bottom line is that Whiteface has to plan for the worst skier out there. It's no easy task to get an injured person out of the slides. Yes I think it would be great if conditions permitted and they could open them more. But there's a lot of factors that we don't even know about that contribute to opening the slides.

I agree that whiteface needs to plan to keep there skiers safe but using your criteria " The bottom line is that Whiteface has to plan for the worst skier out there." whiteface would have to close all the advanced trails and all the intermediate trails just to keep the beginner safe. That does not make sense. Those are unreasonable standards. Those standards are far out of whack with what other ski areas in our region use.

It doesn't really come down to the Mtn management, its up to the ski patrol and what they think is safe.
I agree with you that whiteface ski patrol makes the day to day decisions on whether to open a trail but the management sets up the basic rules and tone that they implement. I want to see both management and ski patrol take another look at the criteria they use to open the slides and loosen it to come inline with criteria used to open trails all over the northeast.

asland

Xtremeskiier
09-15-2009, 12:53 PM
I agree 100%. and if someone cant read the giant orange warning signs, they deserve to tumble down the slides. It would be nice for management to open them, they are nice and they are supposed to be difficult (that's why its a double black)

mattchuck2
09-15-2009, 06:21 PM
If you ski back country why are you worried about the slides. If they open them more its only a chance for people that have no business skiing them to be in there. I've almost killed myself avoiding tourists doing snowplows in the slides, I'm not even exaggerating. If you know where to go and when to go in the back country do it. The bottom line is that Whiteface has to plan for the worst skier out there. It's no easy task to get an injured person out of the slides. Yes I think it would be great if conditions permitted and they could open them more. But there's a lot of factors that we don't even know about that contribute to opening the slides. It doesn't really come down to the Mtn management, its up to the ski patrol and what they think is safe.

+1. I think they run it well. This means, of course, that I've never skied them (some days that they were open, you needed a beacon and shovel, some days they looked skiable but weren't open), but I recognize that the mountain has to run it like that to keep the riff raff out.

tjf67
09-16-2009, 10:30 AM

If you almost injured yourself avoiding people doing the snow plow then you were the one out of control. I do the snow plow all the time if you cant check your speed behind me then you are at fault not me. I have ben skiing them for year and I dont notice vey many people in there that dont belong. Yeah some are better than others but people have to learn somehow.

mattchuck2
09-16-2009, 03:55 PM
If you almost injured yourself avoiding people doing the snow plow then you were the one out of control. I do the snow plow all the time if you cant check your speed behind me then you are at fault not me. I have ben skiing them for year and I dont notice vey many people in there that dont belong. Yeah some are better than others but people have to learn somehow.

They should learn on some other trail, and then take what they've learned to the slides. I have no problem avoiding bad skiers (I do it all the time at Whiteface :lol:), but I'd much rather that they weren't on the slides when I finally get my chance to rip em up.

whipple
09-17-2009, 07:05 AM
One think we forget is the Litigious Society we live in. I remember when we could ski just about anywhere with out repercussions. It comes down to lawyers and insurance company's :evil:

asland
09-17-2009, 07:20 AM
One think we forget is the Litigious Society we live in. I remember when we could ski just about anywhere with out repercussions. It comes down to lawyers and insurance company's :evil:

Come on! New York State's Lawyers for Whiteface are just as good as the lawyers that figured out how to make this work for Jay, Smuggler's Notch, Sugarbush, Stowe... Again the rules that whiteface has imposed do not make sense. They are unreasonable. Those standards are far out of whack with what other ski areas in our region use.

highpeaksdrifter
09-17-2009, 07:25 AM

Come on! New York State's Lawyers for Whiteface are just as good as the lawyers that figured out how to make this work for Jay, Smuggler's Notch, Sugarbush, Stowe... Again the rules that whiteface has imposed do not make sense. They are unreasonable. Those standards are far out of whack with what other ski areas in our region use.

I don't know this for a fact, but I was told that the laws are more strict in NY for ski areas then they are in VT. For instance, you can't legally allow boundry to boundry skiing at a NY ski area.

tjf67
09-17-2009, 08:02 AM

They should learn on some other trail, and then take what they've learned to the slides. I have no problem avoiding bad skiers (I do it all the time at Whiteface :lol:), but I'd much rather that they weren't on the slides when I finally get my chance to rip em up.

So if someone is good enough to get down the slides but dont look as "cool" as you they shouldn't be in there. Thats BS.

tjf67
09-17-2009, 08:04 AM

I don't know this for a fact, but I was told that the laws are more strict in NY for ski areas then they are in VT. For instance, you can't legally allow boundry to boundry skiing at a NY ski area.

In Vermont someone can't sue for lets say you are bald. In ny warrented or not they can. I forget what the legal terms are for it but it is BS

I:)skiing
09-18-2009, 02:33 PM
Only been to WF 6 times in winter season. Slides have not been opened, so I have not skied them, but looked at them in a wishing kind of way.

Set up a becon access gate---to cull out "non-prepared" skiers. I know that anyone can get a becon at any time and snow plow, but as a general statement, this would not happen. When conditions are perfect----open the gate to anyone as it is now.

With this idea...maybe they could open the slides 10 or more days, more often per yr.

All this said....Mtn mgmt points to ski patrol who Must take the conservative approach. I would never blame Ski Patrol....

If the guidelines were loosed by mtn mgmt "in writing" then Ski Patrol could be more liberal with opening.

mattchuck2
09-21-2009, 06:39 PM
So if someone is good enough to get down the slides but dont look as "cool" as you they shouldn't be in there. Thats BS.

I didn't say that . . . we were talking about a hypothetical skier doing snowplows on the Slides . . . That guy should definitely not be in there.

mattchuck2
09-21-2009, 06:47 PM

I heard that too (probably the same kind of place you heard it - "mountain management"). But in the New York State Law Concerning Ski Area Safety (http://www.labor.state.ny.us/workerprotection/safetyhealth/sh54.shtm), the only thing I can find that would prohibit boundary to boundary skiing is this little nugget:

Inspect each open ski slope or trail that is open to the public within the ski area at least twice a day, and enter the results of such inspection in a log which shall be available for examination by the commissioner. The log shall note:

(1) the general surface conditions of such trail at the time of inspection (powder, packed powder, frozen granular, icy patches or icy surface, bare spots or other surface conditions);

(2) the time of inspection and the name of the inspector; and

(3) the existence of any obstacles or hazards other than those which may arise from:

(i) skier use;

(ii) weather variations, including freezing and thawing; or

(iii) mechanical failure of snow grooming or emergency equipment which may position such equipment within the borders of a slope or trail.

i.e. by law, Patrollers have to inspect every open area twice a day and write a report on it. It would require an awful lot of manpower (or an awful small mountain) to keep a boundary to boundary policy in NYS.

Lbtchnlgs
09-22-2009, 12:32 PM
It's a tough debate. You can't push opening when there is moderate avy danger, if someone gets caught the isn't really worth it. Rescues take lost of trained professionals, money, and negative publicity. Look at what happened out West this past winter. People were afraid to ski in-bounds due to avy dangers.

Unfortunately you can't bomb in the adks or I'm sure they'd be open 70% of the time. It would be a MASSIVE draw and good for business, but it's just not possible.

asland
09-23-2009, 09:23 PM
It's a tough debate. You can't push opening when there is moderate avy danger, if someone gets caught the isn't really worth it. Rescues take lost of trained professionals, money, and negative publicity. Look at what happened out West this past winter. People were afraid to ski in-bounds due to avy dangers.

Unfortunately you can't bomb in the adks or I'm sure they'd be open 70% of the time. It would be a MASSIVE draw and good for business, but it's just not possible.

How many days a winter is there significant avy danger at whiteface? Wouldn't this same avy danger close skyward, cloudspin...

Although avalanches are possible - maybe a few days per year.- anything is possible- and precautions should be taken - Significant avalanches are just not that big of an issue at whiteface.

Avalanche danger may close the slides a few days but the slides were closed every day last year.

whitefaceman
09-24-2009, 04:41 PM

How many days a winter is there significant avy danger at whiteface? Wouldn't this same avy danger close skyward, cloudspin...

Although avalanches are possible - maybe a few days per year.- anything is possible- and precautions should be taken - Significant avalanches are just not that big of an issue at whiteface.

Avalanche danger may close the slides a few days but the slides were closed every day last year.

didnt they even have a small avvy on upper skyward midway through last season?...yet it was still open for most of the second half

NPN
09-24-2009, 06:54 PM

didnt they even have a small avvy on upper skyward midway through last season?...yet it was still open for most of the second half

Yes.

It happened early a.m., before the lift was open to the public.

SNOWHERE
10-07-2009, 08:39 AM
It is depressing how little the're open.I have a feeling the SV glades will be the same.But it's not just Whiteface,I'd like to know how many days the front four at Stowe were open.I'll bet not many,considering 300 inches ayear.

SKIdds
10-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Hopefully the SV Glades availability will be more in line with how often the Cloudsplitter Glades are open. That's what I'd expect. The Slides are unique given the amount of exposed rock and ice that needs to be covered, the general exposure of the terrain to wind, and the difficulty of access should patrol need to extricate someone. While the SV area is going to be huge and it looks like they are going to be great, they are still just glades and not an extreme wilderness area like the Slides.

I'd like to see the Slides opened a little more agressivley, but I understand the concerns and the reason for controlling access as tighly as they do. Given the litigious society we live in, can you really blame the mountain for erring on the side of caution. Last thing we need is an incident and a lawsuit that jeopardizes operations of this state run playground. I'll go out on a limb and agree that the Slides are skiable more days than they are open, but not skiable by all, or even most, so they have to be careful.

Hope to get in there again this year. Last year was a total bust. Year before my brother and I made the day trip when they had been open, but that morning one of the falls busted loose and they shut them down for the season. So close, and yet so far.

Lbtchnlgs
10-07-2009, 02:57 PM

Wouldn't this same avy danger close skyward, cloudspin...

Not at all.

Harvey44
10-07-2009, 10:25 PM
Year before my brother and I made the day trip when they had been open, but that morning one of the falls busted loose and they shut them down for the season. So close, and yet so far.

SKIdds...I was at WF that exact same day. It was April 9 (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2008/10/whiteface-mtn-ny-4908.html) I think. I read reports about awesome slide skiing, from my desk at work, a few days earlier. I cleared up my work as fast as I could and busted my butt to get up there. I've never skied anything as difficult and I had a lump in my throat all the way up the Thruway.

Skied the morning for a hour or two and then saw this on the summit chair liftie hut:

http://www.postimage.org/TsbUng0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

I was pretty bummed.

Still, I'm willing go with Patrol on it. If they shut it down, I trust em. I don't have much experience at Whiteface, but at Gore...when things are shut on weekdays - it's for good reason. They are called slides for a reason. And I'm thinking that the steep summit trails have got to be less likely to slide due to the effects of grooming.

Still dreamin of my chance to get there on the right day.

SKIdds
10-07-2009, 10:45 PM
Yeah, seeing that sign really sucked. For us it was a 3+ hour trip one way. Yes, the Slides are worth that drive. I've done it before to ski the Slides and I'll do it again.

I trust you stayed around that day. Even without the Slides it was a great day of skiing, with the whole mountain open.

asland
10-08-2009, 09:22 AM
Still, I'm willing go with Patrol on it. If they shut it down, I trust em. I don't have much experience at Whiteface, but at Gore...when things are shut on weekdays - it's for good reason. They are called slides for a reason. And I'm thinking that the steep summit trails have got to be less likely to slide due to the effects of grooming.

how many days out of the year are the slide actually closed due to avy danger?
When I grew up in lake placid, back before the slides were skied as part of whiteface, I was told the slides are called the slides because - further back than any of us - there was a rock slide that took out trees and stuff that grew there. I've been around Lake Placid for 37 years and the whole time I was there the only avalanche of any size, and it was still small, was a few years ago on upper cloudspin.
I may not of heard of others. People are speaking in generalities of slide danger in the slides but is that a reality? So, I sincerely want to know have you heard of avalanches there? Are there major avalanches there? when? Let me know. Either way, it should always be monitored and err on the side of safety but how many days are the slide closed due to avy danger?

Guidelines set Management need to loosen up
I am in no way bashing ski patrol. They do a fantastic job at whiteface - except that time they clipped my ticket when I was twelve. javascript:emoticon(':oops:') I think they just enforce the overly strict guidelines that management sets.

asland

Harvey44
10-08-2009, 11:54 AM
Yeah, seeing that sign really sucked. For us it was a 3+ hour trip one way. Yes, the Slides are worth that drive. I've done it before to ski the Slides and I'll do it again.

I trust you stayed around that day. Even without the Slides it was a great day of skiing, with the whole mountain open.

I'd definitely do the drive again. And we did hang out that day 'til closing. It was a great day. I'm not really a decent bumper, but I had tons of fun on Lower Mac - the bumps were deluxe.

Asland - sorry if I came off as a know-it-all. That wasn't my intent. It makes total sense that the slides are named because they are rock slides, not because they avy. And I definitely don't know it all ...either the avalanche history at Whiteface or what makes a slope slide.

I think that the pitch of the slides is in the right range for avalanche ...around 35-45 degrees. Here's some numbers from a cool site that measures ski hill steepness:

•Cloudspin (overall): 250 vertical over 496 length = 26.7 degrees

•Cloudspin (steepest section) - 170 vertical over 303 length = 29.3 degrees

•Slides (overall): 1298 vertical over 2095 length = 31.8 degrees

•Slides (headwall) - 525 vertical over 742 length = 35.3 degrees

•Slides (steepest section) - 150 vertical over 155 length = 44.1 degrees

highpeaksdrifter
10-08-2009, 12:15 PM

I'd definitely do the drive again. And we did hang out that day 'til closing. It was a great day. I'm not really a decent bumper, but I had tons of fun on Lower Mac - the bumps were deluxe.

Ashland - sorry if I came off as a know-it-all. That wasn't my intent. It makes total sense that the slides are named because they are rock slides, not because they avy. And I definitely don't know it all ...either the avalanche history at Whiteface or what makes a slope slide.

I think that the pitch of the slides is in the right range for avalanche ...around 35-45 degrees. Here's some numbers from a cool site that measures ski hill steepness:

•Cloudspin (overall): 250 vertical over 496 length = 26.7 degrees

•Cloudspin (steepest section) - 170 vertical over 303 length = 29.3 degrees

•Slides (overall): 1298 vertical over 2095 length = 31.8 degrees

•Slides (headwall) - 525 vertical over 742 length = 35.3 degrees

•Slides (steepest section) - 150 vertical over 155 length = 44.1 degrees

Nice stats Harv

asland
10-08-2009, 12:39 PM
Harvey44,

great stats. So, if there was going to be an avy it would be more likely to occur in the the steeper slides. So, have avalanches happened much in there, recently?

ps. I did not think you sounded like you were a know-it-all. Sorry, if I came off like that. With stats like these combined with your meteorological skills you are a good go to guy.

Harvey44
10-08-2009, 09:35 PM
Thanks HPD and asland.

So, I sincerely want to know have you heard of avalanches there? Are there major avalanches there? when? Let me know. Either way, it should always be monitored and err on the side of safety but how many days are the slide closed due to avy danger?
I spent way too much time today, at work, Googling for info on this. I consider myself pretty good at using Google to find what I'm looking for and I found nada. Not one report of an avy on the slides, not one death or injury related to an avy on the slides - nothing. The only mentions I found that coupled "avalanche" with "whiteface slides" were on the Whiteface website and other sources that were either quoting the website (Wiki) or quoting signs on the mountain. I suppose it's possible that they slide midwinter and it doesn't get reported, but somehow that seems unlikely to me. I know there's a ton of local knowledge lurking on this board... pls share if you are so inclined. I'll stop speculating.

Oh yea. I am fairly certain that at SOME point the Chevy Avalanche was the Official SUV of Whiteface Mountain. :roll:

Snowballs
10-08-2009, 11:31 PM
Well, there's this. It's interesting.

from " Exploring the 46 Adirondack High Peaks " - Whiteface chapter.......as he hikes the walkway to the very summit.

" The gashes on Whiteface that are so prominent from a distance come into focus as scars from avalanches, common on many Adirondack peaks. One of the more recent ones, on Labor Day 1971, came after three days of rain and a 4 inch downpour. It loosened the thin mantle of earth near Whiteface's summit and sent it plummeting downward with rocks and logs bulldozing a clean swath on it's way toward Lake Placid.

Such slides, according to Indian legend, prompted the Mohawks to call the peak Ou-no-war-lah or " Scalp Mountain. " Later explorers.....named it Whiteface for the light gray streaks of rock exposed by the slides, which reflect light from the sun.

The walkway to the summit also offers a close-up of the handiwork of glaciers that covered the Adirondacks during the Ice Age. They cleaned not just random streaks but the whole mountain. Some of the glacial action in fact was so severe that it created on Whiteface the most distinctive alpine features of all the Adirondack high peaks.

On the sides of the mountain the glaciers scoured out huge, rounded hollows called cirques. The trail to the summit skirts one of them, curving to the right along the upper rim, or headwall, that faces Lake Placid. The Whiteface ski center ...in the middle of another one (cirque) on the opposite side."

" most distinct alpine features of all..." Very fitting terrain for such a great ski center. a photo show the slides you ski as one that slid in 1971.

Xtremeskiier
10-09-2009, 05:46 PM
What website is that that gives you the stats

Alkyy
10-11-2009, 06:18 PM
I dont think i have ever seen or heard of any large avy on a whiteface slide. I on the other hand, i have heard of many avys in the high peaks, for example avalance slide (go figure) your not allowed to go on in the winter because the main trail through the pass cuts right below it and they dont want someone elses slide to take out an unsuspecting hiker.

slope isnt the only factor in an avy. A lower pitch can actually be worse then a steep one, a low pitch wont slide as often for the most part but when it does then it can be much larger. Our weather here sucks as far as avy safty goes. Think about it, how many seasons do we get a dump, it warms up, rains, freezes then we get a nice big dump on top of that. Sure it looks amazing a foot of fresh ontop of a nice base but thats where the danger is. the hard crust causes fracture points and causes it to slide.

With that said, i would love to see the slides open more, they are deffanatly over cautious with it in my opinion. lets hope for a nice consistant season and we should be riding some nice deep snow not spring slush which is all we got 2 seasons ago

I hope i dont sound like a know it all or an a hole this is just what i know from personal experience.

zski
11-09-2009, 04:28 PM
i've been in the slides when they are open but require full avy kit

they are not fun in this marginal condition - i almost had to clean my undies out after one run. when the waterfalls are not fully filled in you need to make hop turns down the frozen waterfalls and if you biff you will ragdoll down the rest of them. in that condition a fall is potentially fatal

the avy kit requirement is the best way to funnel out the folks that don't belong but when patrol says its not ready beleive them

Snowballs
11-09-2009, 06:19 PM
sage advice that puts a clearer light on it for us. thanks.

i guess the best we could hope for then is Ma Nature grant more good condition ski days for those who want to experience the Slides.

And a good chance to thank Patrol for the job they do. Thanks Guys!

Jack the Ripper
11-09-2009, 09:50 PM

Yes.

It happened early a.m., before the lift was open to the public.

And man made :shock:

Jack the Ripper
11-09-2009, 09:58 PM
Year before my brother and I made the day trip when they had been open, but that morning one of the falls busted loose and they shut them down for the season. So close, and yet so far.

SKIdds...I was at WF that exact same day. It was April 9 (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2008/10/whiteface-mtn-ny-4908.html) I think. I read reports about awesome slide skiing, from my desk at work, a few days earlier. I cleared up my work as fast as I could and busted my butt to get up there. I've never skied anything as difficult and I had a lump in my throat all the way up the Thruway.

Skied the morning for a hour or two and then saw this on the summit chair liftie hut:

http://www.postimage.org/TsbUng0.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/)

I was pretty bummed.

It's all about timing....I skied WF pretty much every weekend for 5 plus years and never hit the slides once...then one fine Saturday they were open. :D

Had been hitting them regularly for a couple years until last years zero days opened :cry:

zski
11-10-2009, 11:34 AM
While the slides do have significant potential to let loose - in 2001 the fracture line went all the way from slide 1 to 3 - the real reason they are not open more often is ice on the waterfalls. If snow is not sticking to the ice then they are just not skable period. We are not talking about edgable ice but rock solid ice that edge hold is simply not possible on. once the ice starts to soften you can get a window where you can ski on the slush / ice in the waterfalls section. The worry then becomes holes opening up in the waterfalls as the run off is running under the ice - this is what closed them in early April 2 seasons ago

I love to ski the slides and want to ski them more often but you just need to accept that patrol knows what they are doing and if they aren't open its because they are not safe

NPN
11-10-2009, 07:50 PM
I love to ski the slides and want to ski them more often but you just need to accept that patrol knows what they are doing and if they aren't open its because they are not safe

True 'dat.

skimore
11-10-2009, 08:45 PM
the avy kit requirement is the best way to funnel out the folks that don't belong

That requirement is a joke. Whats the point except for the first group? Everyone after the fact wil be in the same area. And do you really expect people will be digging pits, skiing one at a time and utilizing safety zones

The majority of people equipped with the gear would be pursuing other options

asland
11-10-2009, 10:32 PM
Let me start by saying that by questioning the rules I do not mean to be disrespectful to those that enforce them. I do not mean to in any way imply that they are not doing a good job. Of course they are doing a great job. I believe that this discussion is not even about ski patrol. This is about what rules they are told to enforce by management.

Think about it like this. When the NY speed limit was 55mph the state police would ticket those people going 65mph. When the rules loosened and the speed limit became 65mph the state police did not ticket people for going 65mph. That does not mean that all mayhem has broken loose. The police enforce the new rules to the best of their ability to keep all those on the roads safe.

The slides are like that. Management needs to loosen the rules. Not in a way where all mayhem breaks loose but loosen them all the same. Then ski patrol can work within the parameters of these new rules to make sure the slides are safe and enjoyable.

I am just asking management to take a second look at the rules they have placed on skiing in the slides. If possible to keep it safe and loosen the rules lets do it. This would still mean ski patrol checking the slide danger, checking the ice falls... and then making a call.

Keep it safe is number one priority but let us have fun as well.

asland

SNOWHERE
11-11-2009, 09:51 AM
Exactly,loosen up.After all ,they advertise them agressivley enough.And I hate this idea that if you go out and buy an avie kit,your'e a safer skier.

Face4Me
11-11-2009, 11:00 AM
Exactly,loosen up.After all ,they advertise them agressivley enough.And I hate this idea that if you go out and buy an avie kit,your'e a safer skier.
I don't think the avy kit implies that you're a safer skier, rather I think the point of requiring an avy kit on more "marginal" days is intended to weed out, and I don't mean to be condescending here, the "less serious" skiers, specifically those who might just happen to be at the mountain, perhaps for the first time, and the slides open.

Human nature dictates that many people will "try it", just because they're at the right place at the right time. That puts others, in particular ski patrol, at risk, should a rescue be needed for someone who probably shouldn't have been there in the first place. That's not to say that people don't try trails that are "over their head", but at least on a "cleared trail", the risks to all involved are reduced. When all is said and done .... IT'S ALL ABOUT RISK MANAGEMENT!

Getting the slides open more frequently comes down to one thing ... MOTHER NATURE!!!

zski
11-11-2009, 11:45 AM
well said

the weeding out used to be making people hike up into the slides for 10+ mins longer than if they let us in right next to the lift. In a marginal snow year it makes no sense to send us up higher to make the hike harder thus weeding out the tourist that happens to be in the right place at the right time that will hurt themselves.

the avy kit serves the same purpose - only very committed hard core skiers will have a peeps / beacon in the east

its a must have if you are skiing the high peaks anyway and is a good thing to have skiing even inbounds out west - last year there where multiple fatalities in avalchances out west inbounds