PDA

View Full Version : Burlington, VT

Danzilla
09-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Anyone ever live there or know somebody who does? The wife and I have been kicking around the idea of relocating up there. We spent a week there in June and are going back up in a few weeks. I haven't skied any of the areas that far north in VT although we went up to Stowe and Smuggs this summer and they both look pretty sweet.

The winter stuff and the lake are big pluses, but those aren't every day life. Just curious if anyone has insight about living in the area. Getting out of the metro NY ratrace for a slower pace and better quality of life is appealing.

Any thoughts are much appreaciated.

D

TomCat
09-24-2009, 08:16 AM
I've never been there but I do recall an article in one of the ski magazines calling Burlington one of the best ski towns in the east. Excellent skiing combined with a decent sized town.

tom

midwestblues
09-24-2009, 03:30 PM
I lived in Milton, VT, a small town 15 miles north of Burlington for about 1 year in the early 90's. I working in Williston, just south of Burlington. I loved the city and the people. The natural attractions, ie. mountains and lakes were great and I spent a lot of time enjoying the outdoors. I was renting at the time so I can not comment on housing costs. Milton is very rural and I enjoyed living out in the country but only a 20 minute drive from the "city". The college adds a lot of cultural attreactions that might not otherwise be in a city the size of Burlington. My job basically went away after a year and I returned to NY to attend graduate school for my MBA. I would move back to Burlington, VT in a heartbeat. If you can make it work from a professional perspective, go for it. Good luck, Eric