PDA

View Full Version : future Lake Placid Winter Olympics

Snowballs
10-03-2009, 12:40 AM
lately, news stories on the Olympics have included talk on Lake Placid. Lake Placid is actively seeking the return of the Winter Games for 2018, but more likely 2022. the interviewee stated it is a more regional presentation extending from Lake Placid to Albany.

I suppose the existance of one of the few bobsled runs on the continent will play into the presentation.

Rumors circulating in Olympic circles have HPD providing room and board for the Swedish women's team. Lucky Dog.

mattchuck2
10-03-2009, 10:27 AM
I was just talking about this last night . . .

I don't think LP has the infrastructure for this kind of event these days . . . There would have to be a serious overhaul of the the entire community (including roads, Hockey stadium, other venues, etc.). Wikipedia has a joint Montreal/Lake Placid bid possible, but Vancouver has this year's Olympics, and it would be kind of unlikely that Canada would have the event twice in ten years . . .

Either way, though, all the world cup skiers will be at Whiteface this spring for a big event, right?

Snowballs
10-03-2009, 10:59 AM
I was just talking about this last night . . .

I don't think LP has the infrastructure for this kind of event these days . . . There would have to be a serious overhaul of the the entire community (including roads, Hockey stadium, other venues, etc.). Wikipedia has a joint Montreal/Lake Placid bid possible, but Vancouver has this year's Olympics, and it would be kind of unlikely that Canada would have the event twice in ten years . . .

Either way, though, all the world cup skiers will be at Whiteface this spring for a big event, right?

agreed. it would be an impassable, impossible gridlock.

and yes. I will be at Whiteface this spring. :lol:

Denison
10-03-2009, 12:06 PM
It looks that IOC wants every next Olympics be bigger then the previous, is this case there is not going to be Winter Games in Lake Placid any time soon.

IMO, Lake Placid & Whiteface could host another games provided there is no Jamaican Bobsled teams and enough housing for everyone else. Just how many people doing time in Ray Brook ?

As for traffic, I think NY Trailways would be happy to provided buses between facilities.

nyspnypd
10-03-2009, 05:54 PM
It looks that IOC wants every next Olympics be bigger then the previous, is this case there is not going to be Winter Games in Lake Placid any time soon.

IMO, Lake Placid & Whiteface could host another games provided there is no Jamaican Bobsled teams and enough housing for everyone else. Just how many people doing time in Ray Brook ?

As for traffic, I think NY Trailways would be happy to provided buses between facilities.

Yeah but LP doesnt have the amount of space to hole the amount of people that would want to get there.

NPN
10-04-2009, 06:20 PM

Well, the American ones anyway.