PDA

View Full Version : Area Info on Monach Mountain Ski Are in Colorado

10-07-2009, 04:40 PM
Has anyone been to and/or skied at Monarch Mountain Ski Area in Colorado. It looks like it is about an hour out of Colorado Springs. I got ranked as a best large unknow mountain in the Rockies. Season Passes are $319 and season locker rentals are $125.

mattchuck2
10-07-2009, 08:35 PM
There's a tele guy I know who moved there from Gore to retire . . .

SICK mountain, tons of snow, and cool people (from what I hear)

TrailsEndChazyLake
11-18-2009, 04:26 PM
Hi,
Last year on a ski trip to Colorado in late Febr/early March I hiked and skied Berthoud and Loveland passes on consecutive days in classic winter conditions while staying in Breckenridge. Loveland pass is your best bang for Zero Dollars I have found yet....we have spent a day there two years in a row there and avg. 12 runs a day. 4-5 people in a van/navigator,,,,,and you just do laps alternating drivers. Pull over at lunch and BBQ at a switch back,,,,truely amazing, equivalent to helicoptor skiing.
Then we drove south and stayed outside Salida at Antero Hot Springs Cabins for 3 nights and skied Wolf Creek one day and Monarch Mtn. the other day.
Both mountains were skied under blue bird sunny 35 deg. conditions.
I would classify Wolf Creek as being more extreme.
Wolf Creek with a 15-30 min. hike gives you Knife Ridge Chutes and Horshoe Bowl....and the best on Mountain Burger you will find anywhere at the base of the lift accessing that area. Great evergreen tree skiing over in that area also.
Both mountains are extremely friendly and laid back.
They remind me more of Large Eastern Mountians with superb conditions and some extreme terrain to hike to.
Monarch with a 15- 25 min. hike gives you Mirkwood Bowl. Very Steep and treed area.
Lot's of Texas, Oklahoma, New Mex., Arizona lic. plates in the lots.
We had great days at both areas.
You can't go wrong skiing there.
Feel free to ask more questions.
Peace