PDA

View Full Version : My lodging suggestions

Adirondackskier
02-28-2006, 12:07 PM
Wilmington RULES!!! awesome people and sooooo close to the mountian

Cute lodges and B&B's restaurants etc are also there......it is the best kept secret in the Adirondacks!!!!!!! I would check out the Ledge Rock, North Pole Campground and Motor Inn, Alpine Country Motel, Mountian Brook Lodge and I heard the Whiteface Chalet has gone through extensive renovations and is gorgeous!!!!!

Food I highly recomend the The Hungry Trout, Steinhoff's, Wilderness Inn, and my new favorite The Country Bear. Also don't forget the Little Supermarket for groceries.

Plus it is in the beginning of the Adirondack banabna belt, it is at least 10 degrees warmer in Wilmington/ Jay/ Upper Jay on average than LP or SL. It is way less snooty than LP and so much less expensive. The outdoors is abundant and the development is minimal. I moved to the mountains to have more land than I had in the city, unless your a multi millionaire you will have a hard time having that become a reality in SL or LP. Wilmington is so cool that they invite all new people that move to town to their annual New Comers at the Hungry Trout. The Trout picks up dinner for you and your family and about 75 -100 people from town show up to give their official Wilmington welcome. It is an awesome town, very active and really is the only town that has a world class mountain in their bachyard that has not been completely developed with condos.

SKIdds
02-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Wilmington sounds like a great town to live in, and is probably a great lodging choice for a person or group whose primary purpose is skiing from nice lodging as close to the mountian as possible. That being said..........

One of the reasons Whiteface/LP is high on our list of places to ski is because all of that stuff they write in the ski mags......and it ain't just hype. If you have any non-skiers (or non die-hard skiers) in your party (as we do) you just can't beat Lake Placid as a home base, in lodging within walking distance to Main St. For those who like to shop or dine, they can be happy for days. For those who like the bar scene, it's nice to be able to walk home after a few.

We've skied and stayed at places like Stowe, Okemo, Stratton/Bromley, Sugarbush, etc., and while some of those places have slopeside digs that give you access to some stuff, you won't find anything like Lake Placid.

So, while I'd probably opt for Wilmington if it was just myself and a bottle of Advil looking for a place to crash, if you have non-skiers (or light skiers) in your party my recommendation would be something right in the Village of Lake Placid. I mean, if you aren't talking about slopeside lodging, which doesn't exist at Whiteface, the extra five or ten minutes in the car is worth what LP has to offer if you have people in your party who will use it.

We've stayed at the Lake Placid Club Lodges, which I have seen for rent on the Adirondak Vacation Rentals website. While I haven't stayed at the Northwoods Inn, I have researched it for a possible stay in March and their rates are very reasonable for something right in the middle of the village on Mirror Lake.

Different strokes.................

FCBHOLESHOT13
02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Hey if you want to save some money and are willing to drive an extra 15 minutes stay in Saranac Lake. There are several decent hotels/motels in SL including the comfort inn, Hotel Saranac, as well as a zillion motor inns/motels surrounding Lake Flower. You can save some serious change at the lakefront motels... they usually have few guests in the winter, and are very affordable this time a year. Why deal with the ski season rates in LP for lodging if you are focused on the skiing? Well, thats just my opinon, whats yours?

tjf67
02-28-2006, 01:45 PM
You cant beat the brookside. 2 bedroom efficiencies 68 bucks per night. within 8 miles of the mountain.

AdironRider
02-28-2006, 04:48 PM
Cobble Mt Lodge just outside LP is only 55 bucks a night.

Denison
02-28-2006, 05:52 PM
does Brookside have a web site?

tjf67
03-01-2006, 09:17 AM
does Brookside have a web site?

I think you can find there phone number on the web but actual sight I doubt it.

Tsavolion
03-01-2006, 09:45 AM
Adirondack skier obviously has a stake in wilmington. wilmington is cute in a 70's retro way. it is great for hard core skier types who rip all day and are too tired to do anything but eat and crash. before i moved up i stayed in pretty much every one of the motels and i have eaten at every restaurant. they are decent, but frankly the whole twon could use an update and a few vital services.

Faceplant
03-02-2006, 05:35 PM
Check out www.restaurant.com where you can buy a gift certificate for there and a few other places cheap. ($10 for a $25 cert)

Denison
10-10-2007, 05:35 AM
You cant beat the brookside. 2 bedroom efficiencies 68 bucks per night. within 8 miles of the mountain.

I stayed there number of times last season, efficiencies are a pretty good deal.
It's for sale now http://www.adkbyowner.com/0149.html Looks like still operating

highpeaksdrifter
10-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Wilmington RULES!!! awesome people and sooooo close to the mountian

Cute lodges and B&B's restaurants etc are also there......it is the best kept secret in the Adirondacks!!!!!!! I would check out the Ledge Rock, North Pole Campground and Motor Inn, Alpine Country Motel, Mountian Brook Lodge and I heard the Whiteface Chalet has gone through extensive renovations and is gorgeous!!!!!

Food I highly recomend the The Hungry Trout, Steinhoff's, Wilderness Inn, and my new favorite The Country Bear. Also don't forget the Little Supermarket for groceries.

Plus it is in the beginning of the Adirondack banabna belt, it is at least 10 degrees warmer in Wilmington/ Jay/ Upper Jay on average than LP or SL. It is way less snooty than LP and so much less expensive. The outdoors is abundant and the development is minimal. I moved to the mountains to have more land than I had in the city, unless your a multi millionaire you will have a hard time having that become a reality in SL or LP. Wilmington is so cool that they invite all new people that move to town to their annual New Comers at the Hungry Trout. The Trout picks up dinner for you and your family and about 75 -100 people from town show up to give their official Wilmington welcome. It is an awesome town, very active and really is the only town that has a world class mountain in their bachyard that has not been completely developed with condos.

I agree I really like Wilmington. The restaurants you mention are great, but does anyone know when the Italian restaurant (Rosaleta’s I think is the name) is going to open? It’s right up the street from A&W. I’ve seen a guy working on it all summer and it looks ready to go inside.

highpeaksdrifter
10-10-2007, 08:20 AM

I stayed there number of times last season, efficiencies are a pretty good deal.
It's for sale now http://www.adkbyowner.com/0149.html Looks like still operating

Yep it still is, I drive by it every weekend. This past weekend it was more crowded then any time I’ve seen it. Leaf peakers I guess.

Speaking of that area up Springfield Rd. a little ways from it there is a motel/restaurant that has been closed for years. Someone is completely renovating it. Anyone know what the deal is?