View Full Version : new website is up

mark
10-16-2009, 12:28 PM
let me know what you think. all comments welcome

www.whiteface.com

mark

Denison
10-16-2009, 01:07 PM
very user friendly, easy to navigate around..

are you still going to outsource snow report to Prance or use some in-house version ?

mark
10-16-2009, 01:34 PM
prance is history.

a new snow report is in development. will launch shortly

m.

SNOWHERE
10-16-2009, 02:00 PM
nice job,all the important stuff is right there.I think the best web sites are the simplest ones.

highpeaksdrifter
10-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I like it alot, big improvement. We need more on mountain web cams though. :wink:

nyspnypd
10-16-2009, 05:29 PM
It is great!! I like it big improvement. Now the new webcam that was put up on the mid station I have noticed that it goes dark for a few min. at times when you use it is it just because of it being on the mt. and there is interference? But I think you have done a great job since taking over. I say webcam on the summit at the top of the lift! :D

snowman
10-18-2009, 12:00 PM
nice.... I am looking forward to prances replacement. Prance was a good idea that didn't seem to work out. The trail map says "2008 Whiteface Mountain"

I'll keep clicking around...

Snowballs
10-18-2009, 12:05 PM
We need more on mountain web cams though. :wink:

and popcorn!

century
10-18-2009, 01:52 PM
Do not like the site, Whiteface looses its indentity. Should have its own site like Gore.

nyspnypd
10-18-2009, 01:56 PM
Hey is it possible to get an Mobile site up alot of people these days use their phones and I think it would be a great feature to attract people.

NPN
10-18-2009, 06:08 PM
Nice scroll up thing with other mtn.'s verts when you get onto the home page, but I'd like to see the rest of the Lake.

NPN
10-18-2009, 06:41 PM
Do not like the site, Whiteface looses its indentity. Should have its own site like Gore.

Huh, I didn't get that at first, but now I see what you're saying.

Still, I like the merge.

Showcasing the many opportunities in this very special place as a multi-faceted, single experience only makes perfect sense.

Let's face it, it'd be stupid not to point out why Whiteface always gets the #1 ranking for off-hill activities in all of the ski press for so many years in a row.

Now that you've mentioned it out, I'm kinda surprised it didn't happen sooner.

NPN
10-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Wait a second, what happened to the link to this forum so we can all scare away any prospective clientele ( or have I just answered my own question )???

Snowballs
10-18-2009, 08:43 PM
Wait a second, what happened to the link to this forum so we can all scare away any prospective clientele ( or have I just answered my own question )???

hehehe. funny!

Yeah, that's very Hallo-weenie not to include a forum link.

That's how I found this forum.......BOO!

highpeaksdrifter
10-18-2009, 08:46 PM

The forum link is upper left of home page next to Bridgetwiget

Denison
10-19-2009, 10:05 AM
prance is history.

a new snow report is in development. will launch shortly

m.

I look forward to new Conditions report. Stowe report comes to my mind as a good example, but you can do even better...

mark
10-19-2009, 10:24 AM
thanks for all the feedback and kind words

i'll address everyone at once.

what did/didn't like about prance?

the improvement of the webcams are something in discussion on our side.

the webcam going dark. this "feature" is build into the applications functionality. video is very bandwidth intensive. the application shuts down the stream after a certain amount of time. this ensures that people just don't run the video 24/7. if a lot of people were able to do this is could potentially jam the pipe-line and stall the server. you need to refresh your page to get it running again.

we discussed a mobile site, however we ran out of time for this launch. i person isn't a very large team :)

as stated the link for the forum is in the top right (with all other social media links) - we fully appreciate and support this forum.

could the admin (big cheese, head honcho...) of this forum please contact me. i'd love to thank you and discuss how we can work together in the future

mark
518 523 1655

Snowballs
10-19-2009, 11:30 AM
could the admin (big cheese, head honcho...) of this forum please contact me. i'd love to thank you and discuss how we can work together in the future
mark
518 523 1655

Uh........the big cheesy head honcho and his side kicks Mr Mogul and lil Bumps?

Don't forget the dog....Poma.

Ring Ring " ah yes, This is Mr. Big ".

nyspnypd
10-19-2009, 02:07 PM
thanks for all the feedback and kind words

i'll address everyone at once.

what did/didn't like about prance?

the improvement of the webcams are something in discussion on our side.

the webcam going dark. this "feature" is build into the applications functionality. video is very bandwidth intensive. the application shuts down the stream after a certain amount of time. this ensures that people just don't run the video 24/7. if a lot of people were able to do this is could potentially jam the pipe-line and stall the server. you need to refresh your page to get it running again.

we discussed a mobile site, however we ran out of time for this launch. i person isn't a very large team :)

as stated the link for the forum is in the top right (with all other social media links) - we fully appreciate and support this forum.

mark
518 523 1655

Very good yeah the mobile site was something I was curious about and havnt heard much on. but I think you do a very great job with the limited resources you have.

Xtremeskiier
10-19-2009, 02:55 PM
The site looks awsome and is definately real easy to use. Any way to tilt the eb cam at the base back up towards the sky more so we can see the face lift and slides area instead of just the deck?

highpeaksdrifter
10-19-2009, 04:44 PM

mark
518 523 1655

I'll pass this on to Greg

Snowballs
10-20-2009, 03:22 PM
I like the events button on the left side. It used to be one had to visit different sites to see what's happening in the area. Now Bobsled, skating etc are right there, one click. Great feature.

NPN
10-20-2009, 06:30 PM
Sorry, I'd like to diss Prance, but, for my humble needs, it worked.

Yes, there was A LOT of down time, but I can't say for sure if that was Prance's issue, or my IP.

Hopefully, those who felt more vocal earlier in this thread, and certainly from past posts will give you a little better idea of why they'd like to see a change.

For me all I care about is current trail count, snow conditions, new snow totals, and daily grooming info. Color me easy to please.

snowman
10-24-2009, 04:42 PM
probably not a Prance issues, but there were a couple of times the mountain was on wind hold, but prance said it was running.
not a web site thing, but I remember being somewhere where there was a trail map in town, with the open lifts lit up. I always though it would be cool if there was something like this near the announcement board at the Olympic center. It would be something to drive by there and see what is open. Probably not a good time for this, but maybe in the future.

ComeBackMudPuddles
10-27-2009, 09:14 AM
HUGE improvement....like night and day!!! thanks.

it gives a real sense of all the exciting things to do in the region....

a few quick "constructive criticism" comments:

1) the font in the header of the pull-down menus isn't very attractive...is it times new roman? i'd think there could be a more appealling choice.

2) a "photo of the day" link like gore's would be a welcome addition.

3) it could be worth it to have a page dedicated to improvements, which could be update for each upcoming winter and summer.

4) a "stats page" would be nice.

5) i think the background history/info on whiteface should be in the "The Mountain" pull-down menu, as opposed to being hidden in the "Olympic Facilities" menu. Or, maybe a slightly different versions for each pull-down?

6) i understand the reason for it, but gore is not an "olympic facility"....lol.....

ComeBackMudPuddles
10-28-2009, 09:43 AM
HUGE improvement....like night and day!!! thanks.

it gives a real sense of all the exciting things to do in the region....

a few quick "constructive criticism" comments:

1) the font in the header of the pull-down menus isn't very attractive...is it times new roman? i'd think there could be a more appealling choice.

2) a "photo of the day" link like gore's would be a welcome addition.

3) it could be worth it to have a page dedicated to improvements, which could be update for each upcoming winter and summer.

4) a "stats page" would be nice.

5) i think the background history/info on whiteface should be in the "The Mountain" pull-down menu, as opposed to being hidden in the "Olympic Facilities" menu. Or, maybe a slightly different versions for each pull-down?

6) i understand the reason for it, but gore is not an "olympic facility"....lol.....

regarding the "photo of the day", i now see that, in fact, a "photo of the day" is published on the site.....nice! it'd be cool, though, if we could access an archive of prior shots, just like how gore does it.

snowman
11-07-2009, 01:17 PM
we have talked about the weather differences at the mountain (top, middle, bottom), as well differences between LP village and mountain. I would like to see weather conditions at the mountain. It would be really good to have temps and wind at base, mid and top.

highpeaksdrifter
12-07-2009, 09:33 AM
Trail and Conditions Report - Prance use to just tell us what trails and lifts where open, this report let's us know where they are making snow on trails that aren't open yet. That's good info, gives ya something to look forward too. Also, it has a freasher look to it. As Bridget would say it is awesome. :wink:

snowman
12-07-2009, 11:33 AM
yeah, I like the new setup. The prance was a good idea, but didn't work out. If you go there now, it shows the mountain as fully open.
One thing I missed immediately - the number of days open. I was really looking for Day # 1. I do like seeing the numbers climb as the season progresses.

skigolfhunt
12-09-2009, 07:00 AM
... One thing I missed immediately - the number of days open. I was really looking for Day # 1. I do like seeing the numbers climb as the season progresses.

Looks like Pat or Joe were lurking as they are now citing the ski days.

snowman
12-09-2009, 04:49 PM
wow, very nice! Thanks all!

http://s3.postimage.org/22DsxA.png (http://www.postimage.org/)

highpeaksdrifter
12-16-2009, 04:54 PM
I like just the facts ma'am podcast.

Danzilla
12-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I liked the fact that you could graphically see exactly what trails were open on what part of the mountain. Since I only get up to WF one or two times a year I don't know all the trails by name and it was nice to see them on a graphical representation.

Also loved the trail maps that had exactly what was open printed on the map. I am sure this was a little wasteful, but very cool.

Love the way the new site pans up the mountain. It really gives you a feel of how BIG Whiteface really is (elevation and breadth). To me that is the difference between WF and any other place in the east. When the snow is good at Whiteface I feel like I am riding out west.

highpeaksdrifter
12-18-2009, 12:43 PM
Pic of the day on website looks great. Whitefacewilly text me to say skiing is great today. Can't wait till tomorrow. :D

http://whitefacelakeplacidinfo.com/photos/potd.jpg

tjf67
01-04-2010, 01:58 PM
I was looking at trails that are opened and noticed the sugar valley galdes are a diamond. Did they change there mind on the double diamond status?