PDA

View Full Version : Gore Mountain Wikipedia Entry

mattchuck2
10-19-2009, 03:14 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gore_Mountain_(ski_resort)

What's the deal with that?

Why do they have to give away the location of Snoopy's (sort of)?

fujative.
10-19-2009, 03:36 PM
Where? I don't see it?

I made an account and "edited" the information. :twisted:

mattchuck2
10-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Where? I don't see it?

NICE.

fujative.
10-19-2009, 05:52 PM
Where? I don't see it?

NICE.

I should've mentioned the monsters living in the woods while I was at it.

Harvey44
10-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Wiki is just whatever people decide to enter. I looked at Gore's wiki a few months ago and noticed multiple questionable "facts." I say we keep an eye on it and make sure the content isn't problematic, if you know what I mean. Wiki has a huge audience and the site is really well optimized. Maybe Fuje could be our goto guy?

fujative.
10-20-2009, 02:36 PM
Wiki is just whatever people decide to enter. I looked at Gore's wiki a few months ago and noticed multiple questionable "facts." I say we keep an eye on it and make sure the content isn't problematic, if you know what I mean. Wiki has a huge audience and the site is really well optimized. Maybe Fuje could be our goto guy?

Well if we all keep our heads together it shouldn't be too hard to moderate the article. Making an account is free and only took a minute, but if you want I'll edit things you guys bring up.

mattchuck2
10-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah . . . Might be worth doing . . .

Just a few things I noticed:

- The Burnt Ridge Stuff looks like it was written last summer (summer of '08)
- The reference to "Upper Mica" (which isn't even what I call it) should be eliminated
- The reference to "Darkslide" is unneeded, it's an official entrance to Dark Side Glades now
- The Reference to "East Wall" is wrong, and it might lead to people going off the back side of the mountain
- Is it true that Rumor is the Steepest trail in the east?
- There's a spelling mistake in one of the Twister Sentences
- Is the High Peaks area (I think he means Darkside) the oldest area on the mountain?
- The north side doesn't have runs "From the top of Bear Mountain" unless you count Ruby Run as part of the North Side

Some other stuff too, about the terrain park and upper mountain trails (Is Lies really "The Rumor's twin"?) could use some updating. And why is the only reference (listed at the bottom) some article about Belleayre?

It looks like it was done by some teenager, to be honest. Here's the Author, in his own words:

This is the first article that I have made from scratch that i personally think looks professional, if anyone coming here could give me feedback I would appreciate it very much.

Oh well . . . Wikipedia was never really known for getting everything right.

Snowballs
10-20-2009, 03:59 PM
i suspect matt already knew this, but.......

Rumor is/was classified as the steepest in the east. But Avalanche at SkiDenton also had this claim for awhile, maybe pre-Rumor? Avalanche at SkiDenton has glades beside it, STEEP. the people at SkiDenton told me last summer they " think " some trail(s) in New England now have the title. they weren't sure of the resort and may have been thinking of Rumor.

Rumor doesn't get the respect it deserves from the non Gore crowd, IMO. it sure riles up the Face crowd to say it's steeper than what Face has.

i better hide now.

oh yeah, some resort out west claims to have the longest chair lift, about one mile, but that doesn't seem correct. isn't the ADK express longer than that? i thought i read somewhere it's 7,000+ long.

Harvey44
10-20-2009, 05:06 PM
I'm mobile so I can't post links.

East face and north chair are the oldest lifts at gore based on a trail map I found from the sixties. Its on harvey road in the archives.

Also ...steepness of rumor...very cool site that measures slope pitch...also linked on harvey road...on the right side about halfway down...link says "how steep is rumor?". I think.

Shameless blog plug over. For now. :)

Snowballs
10-20-2009, 05:23 PM
that makes sense. we know from the Gondola placards that the Pete Gay was one of the first runs from the ride up/ski down days. i think some skiing was also done on the Barton Mine side. there certainly are alot of trails over there. it kinda appears that back in the day there was skiing on many different parts of the Mtn at various times.

Safe Trip Harv. Don't be typing and driving now!

I'm sure no one minds your " shameless plug " of the Blog. People like it.

Spongeworthy
10-20-2009, 05:38 PM
Where do the names of the off-the-map trails come from? I know people who have cut some trails who don't even know the "name" of that trail (BTW, he doesn't care what others call his favorite, I guess because it's a "secret"). Sure makes it tough to compare notes (discretely, of course) when either I don't know the name or someone else calls the same trail a different name.

Harvey44
10-21-2009, 09:59 AM
Here's the link to the trail map circa 1965:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2006/01/old-maps-of-gore-mtn.html

And here's the link to the site where SkiKing measures ski trail pitch:

http://ski-degrees.synthasite.com/

I've already asked SkiKing to measure the pitch of the new skibowl liftline. Mr. Pratt said it was the second steepest run on the hill, so I'm curious.

SkiKing may have misunderstood me, because his reply indicated that he thought I was asking about Sagamore. I tried to correct the misunderstanding. But he wants to be contacted through some forum I don't belong to. I'm maxed out now forum wise. SkiAdk, FTO and a little AZ.

Drift.....My wife was saying the other day that when I hit 1000 posts on a forum I should resign. Chuckle. I'm close here and at FTO. I could just keep editing the same post I suppose.

No texting and driving for me...I was on the train.

Oh yea...here's a thread I posted a few months back on the Wiki thing that went almost nowhere:

http://forums.skiadk.com/viewtopic.php?t=2382

Sorry for the mulitple thread drifts but I need to conserve posts! 8)

Snowballs
10-21-2009, 04:32 PM
yea, she'll be cutting off your.................coax.* :shock:

Harv unplugged. the live and unedited version.

*coaxial cable

fujative.
10-22-2009, 06:56 PM
Drift.....My wife was saying the other day that when I hit 1000 posts on a forum I should resign. Chuckle. I'm close here and at FTO. I could just keep editing the same post I suppose.

Haha so does that mean 8454 Posts is bad? plus quite a few on here. Plus quite a few on some other sites. UHoh I have no life.