PDA

View Full Version : Favorite moments at Whitey

FCBHOLESHOT13
02-28-2006, 01:46 PM
Here's a chance to tell all about your favorite moment at Whiteface this season, or any season for that matter...
DO IT UP!

Denison
02-28-2006, 02:07 PM
I would not call "Slides to slideout to lower skyward" a high speed groomer, but anyway..
Upper Skyward is my choice with Mountain Run close second

FCBHOLESHOT13
02-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Yeah i think i forgot i was listing groomers...

Son of Drifter
03-01-2006, 10:24 AM
Yeah i think i forgot i was listing groomers...

Edit the post or just take the poll down. My favorite WF moment this year was getting in the slides. :twisted:

Tsavolion
03-01-2006, 11:03 AM
i havnt had a favorite moment this year because i havnt skied enough. but last year taking the cat ride up when the lift was broken and skiing skyward on that awesome spring day was pretty cool.

SKIdds
03-01-2006, 11:40 AM
Fave moment the last few years may have been winning the frozen t-shirt contest during the deluge back in January. 'Course I got jobbed out of a pair of skis because they didn't sell enough Budweiser product :evil: .

Oh, you wanted a skiing moment? Sorry.

First tracks down Empire is pretty sweet. It's amazing what an inch or two of snow can do when it all seems to get blown into one trail.

Having an opportunity to jump in the moguls course after the World Cup competition is done is a lot of fun as well, especially given that finding bumps on WF is about as easy as finding a girl with her shirt on in N'Orleans during Mardi Gras.

highpeaksdrifter
03-01-2006, 11:49 AM
Having an opportunity to jump in the moguls course after the World Cup competition is done is a lot of fun as well, especially given that finding bumps on WF is about as easy as finding a girl with her shirt on in N'Orleans during Mardi Gras.

I use to like it when they would let skier's left half of Skyward bump up. That was killer and left plenty for those who want it groomed. Nice analogy BTW.

Phineas
03-01-2006, 03:44 PM
I love WF and have been blessed w/ so many opportunities to get on the hill.. Difficult to pinpoint a favorite time :? but sure can say w/ confidence that March/April/May of 2001 was just an amazing season! :P Nearly 8 feet in the month of March alone. I got 15 slide days that year (lift service) and I was not even a transplant then! :lol: I remember stomping waterfalls on slide one, chest deep powder shots under life F and no worries on getting corners clipped! :twisted:

01 rocked big! :roll:

snow piled up so deep in Cloudsplitter glades that year, that we were chopping spruce branches to open access - when I mtn biked their come July the branches were 12 - 15 feet above me! :o

March 03, I think or 02 when the US Nationals were transferred from Alaska to WF (because of lack of snow in Alaska :shock: ) I remember taking the week off and working on the races. We were on the hill from 6:30 am until 6:30 pm. Watching the sunrise over the Great Range from top of skyward is hard to beat! :roll:

I remember hearing Bode whooshing down the Lady’s drop and off the jump on2 Victoria’s during the DH run. The photographer was asking 2B notified 3 seconds in advance when racers were approaching and his spotter called him as soon as they came round Lady’s drop but the racers were launching the jump 1.5 seconds later.. Amazing! :P

Then on SuperG day I was hanging in the start house be4 the men’s start - it was delayed due to poor viz - and the racers started stomping their boots chanting "let us race" - Bode jumped up and demanded the radio and called down and said "let's get this thing started, the weather was worse at the Hanukkann this year and they let us race then"! Less than 10 minutes later the race started!

Alberta clippers dropping unexpected amounts of ADK dry in early December ranks right up there! In 02 when the yellow dot was still a secret I remember one Sunday hooking up w/ my bro Pat and sneaking over the yellow dot on2 lower sky in2 copious amounts of untracked. We kept it to ourselves and just laid down a half dozen lines until we ran in2 Ski patroller Charlie and clued him in.. He poached it too! Then he brought us beers in the lounge afterwards w/ a grin ear2ear! 8)

Pearl Harbor Day 2004. We were having a meager Nov/Dec :cry: until Saturday afternoon Dec 6. It started snowing big and when I tracked over Sunday morning on the connector on2 lower cloud (which was brown) the day be4 I was shocked to find nearly 40-inches piled up over night. :shock: Beautiful white smoke! What a day that was!

My fondest moment though - mayB last spring skiing w/ wLc, my bro Fast Eddie and Billy the Kid! It was a 50 plus degree blue-sky day in middle April. MayB 25 rippers on the hill. Upper Sky was well over a week un-groomed and the moguls were colossal, elastic and plentiful. I recall looking upslope and watching my beautiful girlfriend ripping a zipper line down skier's left on Upper Sky! She was catching air and landing on the backsides - pole planting, slapping tails and smiling large! My heart skipped - I realized I had me a ripper for a lady! 8) 8)

WF rules!

freeheelwilly
03-01-2006, 05:00 PM
I remember 12/7/03 (not '04 phineas - '03). 41" of dry smoke! And lower cloud was unbelievable. Yeah, that was a goody. Last Sunday was right up there too. Last year I had a day mid-feb when I snuck over there mid-week with 12" new that drifted to twice that and that stands out. There's lots of 'em.

Faceplant
03-02-2006, 05:27 PM
Exceptional today!!!!

Tsavolion
03-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Exceptional today!!!!

FP - we were there all day. i havnt seen you all season! are you the real faceplant? what do you think of portobello mushrooms--do you like them?

Faceplant
03-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Thought I cooked some for you last year. One of my fav veggies w/filet. Gonna have to get the gang over for dinner again. I was there til 6 on saturday...looked for you guys cuz joy was talking bout looking forward to good snow and boy was it ever great!!!

Tsavolion
03-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Thought I cooked some for you last year. One of my fav veggies w/filet. Gonna have to get the gang over for dinner again. I was there til 6 on saturday...looked for you guys cuz joy was talking bout looking forward to good snow and boy was it ever great!!!

we werent there saturday--blocked out and had other plans anyway

Faceplant
03-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Didn't stay all day. Left around 1pm. I am guaranteed to be the real Faceplant (who else would pick a handle like that). Proof: Joy will remember that it was Rosemount Shiraz that night!!

My work gig in Philly is over so I'll be up here for a few weeks. Phineas Fogg has my email. Let me know when you're gonna ski and we'll pick a time/place to meet. I also say Hi/Bye to the guys at guest services ...ask them if I'm around.