PDA

View Full Version : Wild Stallions, A Northeast Extreme Skiing Movie Premier

Snowballs
10-21-2009, 10:19 PM
Wild Stallions, an extreme skiing film, shot in the northeast will be premier this friday,Oct 23 7 pm at West Mountain in their West Side Grill. tickets are only $5, which is being donated to the Make A Wish foundation. this is the only showing in this area.

http://www.skiwestmountain.com/events.cfm?Date=1009

fujative.
10-22-2009, 05:46 PM
Meatheads!
Definitely going to be there.

fujative.
10-25-2009, 03:13 PM
Hey Snowballs did you end up going?

Snowballs
10-25-2009, 05:15 PM
yeah i did. you? i liked it.

for those who didn't, it had alot of urban stuff. Great stuff for sure. some cooler shots, imo, were of them jumping through some tight " Y's" in urban trees. Also fun was them jibbin in the Magic Forest at Lake Geoge. there's something inherently funny about watching them ski over the various fiberglass animals and dinkin around at the Magic Forest. they had permisson and didn't have to poach it.

i was hoping to see a little more Northeast ski resort trails or backwoods, just to get a look at what's out there. No biggie. They did visit many resorts though. alot of which was ripping their parks and jumps. the sled riding with a picnic table was cool.

anyway, these guys do a great job. they're also funny, a big plus in my book. They seem to be building a positive reputation for themselves and their films. it's deserved.

Various items were raffled off including two midweek nonholiday season passes for West Mtn.

oh yeah, they had a small portable winch that they used to pull skiers along in the flat urbans so they could launch off of various crap. it worked good.

Fuja, you guys could make films like this. I wonder if MattChuck2 is a park hound?

fujative.
10-26-2009, 02:10 AM
yeah i did. you? i liked it.

for those who didn't, it had alot of urban stuff. Great stuff for sure. some cooler shots, imo, were of them jumping through some tight " Y's" in urban trees. Also fun was them jibbin in the Magic Forest at Lake Geoge. there's something inherently funny about watching them ski over the various fiberglass animals and dinkin around at the Magic Forest. they had permisson and didn't have to poach it.

i was hoping to see a little more Northeast ski resort trails or backwoods, just to get a look at what's out there. No biggie. They did visit many resorts though. alot of which was ripping their parks and jumps. the sled riding with a picnic table was cool.

anyway, these guys do a great job. they're also funny, a big plus in my book. They seem to be building a positive reputation for themselves and their films. it's deserved.

Various items were raffled off including two midweek nonholiday season passes for West Mtn.

oh yeah, they had a small portable winch that they used to pull skiers along in the flat urbans so they could launch off of various crap. it worked good.

Fuja, you guys could make films like this. I wonder if MattChuck2 is a park hound?

Yup I was there, I was the one who won the Stowe t-shirt. You weren't sitting at a table with one of your friends next to a group of teenage hooligans by chance, were you?
If I had some better film equipment, more people to film with some better skills, and some more editing experience I could almost pull something like that off. I still don't think I'd be able to achieve anything as good as them though.

I'm pretty sure Matt is past his park days. I wanna say he's in his mid to late twenties and a tree/bump skier.

mattchuck2
10-26-2009, 08:01 AM

Yup I was there, I was the one who won the Stowe t-shirt. You weren't sitting at a table with one of your friends next to a group of teenage hooligans by chance, were you?
If I had some better film equipment, more people to film with some better skills, and some more editing experience I could almost pull something like that off. I still don't think I'd be able to achieve anything as good as them though.

I'm pretty sure Matt is past his park days. I wanna say he's in his mid to late twenties and a tree/bump skier.

I'd say that Fuj is pretty damn close (29, tree/bump skier), but I wouldn't say my park days are completely behind me. I mean, I was doing 7s in the park last year (I might be able to get it to a 9 if I get good conditions). I also want to learn Lincolns this year, but that's kind of hard to just throw down unless it's a super powder day with a soft soft landing. When I go out west, I throw fronts and backs onto nice soft landings, so maybe I'll get a chance to try a Lincoln at Whistler if I can gte the money for that.

I wanted to go on Friday, but I had other obligations . . . I might go to the TGR movie in Saratoga . . .

http://www.tetongravity.com/tour/event.aspx?tid=548

Snowballs
10-26-2009, 09:48 AM
nah. i was solo, towards the back, next to a group of teen hooligans. they stood by my table long enough that i offered them the extra chairs from my table as they were to shy to ask.

anyway it's hard to take time outta the ski day to stop and film. i'ld bet between you, your crew and MC2 some great footage could be put together. but who the hell cares when it's time to just go rip.

fujative.
11-14-2009, 05:16 PM
I wanted to go on Friday, but I had other obligations . . . I might go to the TGR movie in Saratoga . . .

http://www.tetongravity.com/tour/event.aspx?tid=548
You going? Picked up my tickets last night. Heading over in an hour and a half or so.

mattchuck2
11-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Nah . . . Tix were way more expensive than I thought . . . I bailed

fujative.
11-19-2009, 06:25 PM

Probably the best movie I saw this season. Awesome soundtrack too.

Wild Stallions and Hit or Miss, the movie the kids up at Whiteface made, are going to be playing at Putnam Den in Saratoga on Saturday night.

Snowballs
11-19-2009, 07:42 PM
Hit or Miss..... a Craig Stay aka CS Films. Whiteface Boys!!! He seems to be doing pretty good. here a link to the Hit or Miss trailer.

http://vimeo.com/4454803

Even from the small bits of Craig Stay's videos that i've seen, i gotta say they look better to me than the Wild Stallion movie i saw from Meathead. and Meathead has more resources and experience than Craig Stay. not that Craig Stay's are just wilder per se, they have a much better look and have perhaps a better mix or quality of tricks, colors and soundtrack. perhaps the background's better too. He and his boys really seem to click and have a nice repoire.

FWIW, i know i said this before, i think you might be missing the boat Fuj. You could do this. you really could. you wouldn't need a high dollar camera or edit machine. the average video camera takes great vid and now they have HD resolution. Practice makes perfect. your film technique will get better as you go. Then the rest, better equipment etc will fall into place and before you know....FILM PREMIER! No doubt Stay, Meathead and even Warren Miller started that way. You just need to get started son.

I'll even throw you a bone with a great name.....Fujative Films. What's not to love about that? it sounds cool and has great edgy sound for an extreme ski film company. that bare a$$ Gnome would make a fantastic logo... first film opens with......Title.....then ..." A kid's ski film produced on a bare a$$ budget " ....then show the Gnome....that'ld be cool. people would love it and find it witty/funny. maybe he'ld be a marketable hot a$$-et. See, it's workin already! nothing wrong with a hot a$$!

gonna hit the Wood this weekend for Warren Miller's new Movie. i'm feelin generous so i think i'll leave a couple of tickets at the box office for Elvis & co.

Lbtchnlgs
11-19-2009, 08:42 PM

Probably the best movie I saw this season. Awesome soundtrack too.

Wild Stallions and Hit or Miss, the movie the kids up at Whiteface made, are going to be playing at Putnam Den in Saratoga on Saturday night.

What time is it playing??

Snowballs
11-19-2009, 09:38 PM
don't know if you guys ever saw this trailer for CS film's " True Story ". I'm reposting it here cause the opening jump shot is just fantastic, awesome! the skier makes a turn and then launches into a very long backwards jump that he has to land backwards right next to some trees. very ballzie. miss by a little and it's into the trees backwards at speed. it's a great rip that's accented by the landing's perfect timing to a strong downbeat in dramatic music and aprapos moody lighting. POW!

http://vimeo.com/2427051

Rossi and maybe even Fuj went to see this movie last year....... can they or anyone say how it compares to a Meathead film?

from the bits of CS Films vids i've seen his music selection is great in that it's not all pop/rock/ or head bangin. some of it is stuff unfamiliar to audiences ( that makes it new and fresh) and it's pretty, instrumental, good music that is artsy and adds uniqueness or individuality because it's unfamiliar and style because it's beautiful. great film qualities that also sets it ahead of the pack. i'm gonna have to see these kid's stuff.

fujative.
11-19-2009, 11:17 PM
don't know if you guys ever saw this trailer for CS film's " True Story ". I'm reposting it here cause the opening jump shot is just fantastic, awesome! the skier makes a turn and then launches into a very long backwards jump that he has to land backwards right next to some trees. very ballzie. miss by a little and it's into the trees backwards at speed. it's a great rip that's accented by the landing's perfect timing to a strong downbeat in dramatic music and aprapos moody lighting. POW!

http://vimeo.com/2427051

Rossi and maybe even Fuj went to see this movie last year....... can they or anyone say how it compares to a Meathead film?

from the bits of CS Films vids i've seen his music selection is great in that it's not all pop/rock/ or head bangin. some of it is stuff unfamiliar to audiences ( that makes it new and fresh) and it's pretty, instrumental, good music that is artsy and adds uniqueness or individuality because it's unfamiliar and style because it's beautiful. great film qualities that also sets it ahead of the pack. i'm gonna have to see these kid's stuff.

Yup Connor and I went and saw True Story last year at their ACC premier. Last year their stuff was pretty good, and it's been getting better day by day. Craig (the main filmer and editor) has been working on getting new filming equipment with basically all the money he has, as long as getting the whole LS3 crew sponsors. A few of them have their own sponsors, Dillon Calerdone is sponsored by Moment and Sports Page, Jake Doan is sponsored by Fat-y-Pus and Sag Straps, and as a whole they're sponsored by Whiteface, Rossignol, and a few other companies I can't think of. Plus Justin Perry is part of the Meatheads crew, so they helps them out quite a bit on the publicity side of things.

For a mainly park video, there are some awesome shots up in the "bc" around the Adirondacks.

The most part of the soundtrack is Hiphop and electronic music, I thought it was awesome but then again that's 80% of what's on my iPod anyways.

Two of the songs I remember hearing
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP_bbDuhXVQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwjfE2ylbWU

I dunno which movies playing first, I know you saw the Meatheads one up at West, but it may be worth it sticking around for a second shot of the Magic Forest segment.
:)

Snowballs
11-20-2009, 12:29 AM
do you know these guys Fuj? after rewatching their video clips, i think i've seen Dillon in Gore's park perhaps two years ago. he had a yellow plaid outfit on that i think i saw in one of the video clips. Anyway who ever it was, was busting some mad moves off the park jumps and i followed them up and down for a while just to watch him and his friends, he was that good. it was wild.

did you ever fix your pm box?

thanks for the song links.

mattchuck2
11-20-2009, 05:34 PM

Free?!!?!?!?! According to the CS website (http://csfilms-media.com/2009/11/what-are-you-doing-this-weekend/) that is . . . I'm in!

Lbtchnlgs
11-20-2009, 05:42 PM
Don't forget to check out the ski expo and the Saratoga city center tomorrow as well.

There will be a Hickory stand. Going to try and make it up myself

Snowballs
11-21-2009, 12:03 AM
Saw Warren Miller's Dynasty tonight. Good movie. one of my favorite shots was them railing on a chairlift's cable, sorta like the Sunway chair. they built a ramp at the uphill terminal then launched and railed on top of it's cable. hehehe.

Also, they trekked to very deep BFE at the China/Mongolia border. there they found ancient skiing. the few locals there ski on loooooong homemade wooden skis that they tie their feet onto and control their speed by leaning back on a stick, dragging it on the ground. no turns. they actually went pretty good and poked fun at the extreme skiers. " you slow. you outta shape cheeseburger eater. why do you turn? it only slows you down! those little skis are kids skis." it was funny. they have horse hair on the ski's bottom that goes right up the hill and then slides down surprisingly well.

No matter how ancient the ski's style is, some things never change. they were more than anxious to get their modern counterparts up the hill to see what they could do. one of the Miller team thought he'ld give them a head start, then burn 'em....but he couldn't catch them! they also had an advantage climbing. they just turned around and went right back up while the Miller team had to click out, put on skins, click in - all of which left them in the rear yet again. this view into the sport's very ancient roots was wicked cool.

Back in America, they had a scene that showed Boarders, no matter what Species they belong to, do indeed have a bad attitude. lol. someone had an alligator on the hill. that's right and he wasn't little. two snowboards were strapped to his belly and he was grouchy, growling around letting others know who was the boss. but he did slide around.

We made out pretty good. My GF's son won a nice hoodie, i won tubing tickets and a girl with us won ski poles. all got a year's subscription to Skiing magazine. good time. Watch out for that Gator!

fujative.
11-22-2009, 06:45 PM
do you know these guys Fuj? after rewatching their video clips, i think i've seen Dillon in Gore's park perhaps two years ago. he had a yellow plaid outfit on that i think i saw in one of the video clips. Anyway who ever it was, was busting some mad moves off the park jumps and i followed them up and down for a while just to watch him and his friends, he was that good. it was wild.

did you ever fix your pm box?

thanks for the song links.

Yeah I'm pretty good friends with them. They're always down at West for competitions and whenever I'm up at Whiteface I ski with them. When I went to the Hit or Miss premier in Plattsburgh I slept at Craig/Alex's house. Jake Doan, the youngest of the group had his skis stolen from WF mid season last year, a few weeks later I saw a kid riding them at Gore. I called up Jake to let him know but we never saw the kid again. Fast forward to Alpine Shop in Saratoga's summer ski sale, I was working and Rossi gave me a call saying the skis just showed up for a tune. Called Jake back, got the police involved and they lived happily ever after.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that was Dillon you saw in the park. I don't remember him being down here but he's the only one I can think of with a full yellow plain Nomis suit.

And Matt - Completely overlooked your post asking what time the movies were until now. Sorry about that.

fujative.
11-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Saw Warren Miller's Dynasty tonight. Good movie. one of my favorite shots was them railing on a chairlift's cable, sorta like the Sunway chair. they built a ramp at the uphill terminal then launched and railed on top of it's cable. hehehe.

Also, they trekked to very deep BFE at the China/Mongolia border. there they found ancient skiing. the few locals there ski on loooooong homemade wooden skis that they tie their feet onto and control their speed by leaning back on a stick, dragging it on the ground. no turns. they actually went pretty good and poked fun at the extreme skiers. " you slow. you outta shape cheeseburger eater. why do you turn? it only slows you down! those little skis are kids skis." it was funny. they have horse hair on the ski's bottom that goes right up the hill and then slides down surprisingly well.

No matter how ancient the ski's style is, some things never change. they were more than anxious to get their modern counterparts up the hill to see what they could do. one of the Miller team thought he'ld give them a head start, then burn 'em....but he couldn't catch them! they also had an advantage climbing. they just turned around and went right back up while the Miller team had to click out, put on skins, click in - all of which left them in the rear yet again. this view into the sport's very ancient roots was wicked cool.

Back in America, they had a scene that showed Boarders, no matter what Species they belong to, do indeed have a bad attitude. lol. someone had an alligator on the hill. that's right and he wasn't little. two snowboards were strapped to his belly and he was grouchy, growling around letting others know who was the boss. but he did slide around.

We made out pretty good. My GF's son won a nice hoodie, i won tubing tickets and a girl with us won ski poles. all got a year's subscription to Skiing magazine. good time. Watch out for that Gator!

Hahaha I'd say the China segment was the most entertaining part of the video. Did you see the stillframe shots of it on the Snow World magazine? It was funny stuff.

Overall I thought the movie was pretty boring though. WME's stuff is slowly going downhill, no pun intended. They definitely can't compete with TGR

On a barely related note, my mom bought a sewing machine off some guy in North River who's son is a heli ski guide. I was talking to him about ski movies and told him how much better I thought Re:Session was than Dynasty. He was like oh, TGR? My son guided a few trips for them this season.
He was an awesome guy. Got to hear about lot's of cool stuff from him.

Snowballs
11-22-2009, 09:12 PM
that was my first Warren Miller movie. I suspected it was somewhat less extreme than usual. agree the China part was the best. those Snow World stills are great. i actually like the looks of their homemade skis and i love their indomitable spirit. these guys weren't taking any back seat to the extreme skiers and their fancy equipment.

Speaking of Spirit. that part on the sit skiers was very cool. these people, amputees or paraplegics were not about to let it hold them back. No Way! they ripped really good on their equipment, catching mega air and fast times. like watching the Special Olympics, it makes my heart soar to see them excell and have fun without boundaries. the smiles they have are priceless. if any calls that silly, don't care.

Hey, it's really cool you're hangin with those guys. maybe you'll get in their movies. i gotta a feeling they're going places and with fame comes..... smokin hot babes!!! Das good.

any chance of you giving us a head's up when they're at West? would love to watch them and you work the magic. Rossi once said you're the best park skier at Gore. i got a pass at West this year also and plan to be there often. it's only 2 miles from mah crib.

last year, when Rossi's dad had his skis stolen i pm'ed him how the shop would have the serial number, spread it around to various shops and they'ld watch for the stolen skis. not sure Jake needed that tip, but glad it worked out for someone at least. especially Jake as those guys are cool. to me, they seem like a good people and a tight group of friends. their reach is exceeding the normal expectations for kids making home movies. again, Spirit. Das good. definitely awesome skiers. like i said, i got a feeling they're going places.

fujative.
11-22-2009, 09:34 PM
that was my first Warren Miller movie. I suspected it was somewhat less extreme than usual. agree the China part was the best. those Snow World stills are great. i actually like the looks of their homemade skis and i love their indomitable spirit. these guys weren't taking any back seat to the extreme skiers and their fancy equipment.

Speaking of Spirit. that part on the sit skiers was very cool. these people, amputees or paraplegics were not about to let it hold them back. No Way! they ripped really good on their equipment, catching mega air and fast times. like watching the Special Olympics, it makes my heart soar to see them excell and have fun without boundaries. the smiles they have are priceless. if any calls that silly, don't care.

Hey, it's really cool you're hangin with those guys. maybe you'll get in their movies. i gotta a feeling they're going places and with fame comes..... smokin hot babes!!! Das good.

any chance of you giving us a head's up when they're at West? would love to watch them and you work the magic. Rossi once said you're the best park skier at Gore. i got a pass at West this year also and plan to be there often. it's only 2 miles from mah crib.

last year, when Rossi's dad had his skis stolen i pm'ed him how the shop would have the serial number, spread it around to various shops and they'ld watch for the stolen skis. Glad it worked out for someone at least. especially Jake as those guys are cool. to me, they seem like a good people and a tight group of friends. their reach is exceeding the normal expectations. again, Spirit. Das good. definitely awesome skiers. like i said, i got a feeling they're going places.

Yeah I've talked to them a couple of times about filming with them. The main problem is never being able to get up there when they actually are filming, and this year because I'm working it'll be even harder.

But I'll definitely let you know when the comp's are at west.

CS_Films
11-23-2009, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the props on my stuff earlier up in the post.

The Saratoga premiere went great awesome bar and just a great venue to do that in. Gota thank Whiteface for putting that on!

We should be doing some park shoots at West Mountain this year! Mark is working with the mountain on setting it up.

Also we are hoping to do a park shoot at Whiteface this year. Rumor is a big jump high up on the mountain!!! Cross your fingers.

Alkyy
11-23-2009, 01:11 PM
thanks for the props (I filmed and edited half of hit or miss for CS films last season because i blew out my knee and couldnt ski all year) This year ill be back skiing and on both sides of the camera. I wish we were on the same level as meatheads, its great to hear that people think we are even in the same league as them, Hopefully this year with some more backcountry stuff, some better park shoots and some more interesting urban features we can get ourselvs closer to their level.

mattchuck2
11-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Sick video, guys.

I went to the Saratoga thing, and it was a good time. Saw some people I knew, got to see some sweet skiing. I'd say that your movie (as far as editing, camera work, and production quality) was right up there with the Meathead Movie. You had a lot of interesting camera angles and cool lens work. I think it's just a question of where you can go. The Meathead movie had a lot of cool places (Mt. Bohemia, Michigan; Tuckerman Ravine, Blue Mountain, etc.) as well as some places that they've been before and are getting a little played out for them (Nova Scotia). Your movie had a lot of Whiteface, but I think it got a lot better when you got away from the Face. The Big Tupper footage and the 2 man Colorado project were the highlights for me.

There will always be a place for Whiteface, though, especially if you can get a sweet booter built up high (with some dope scenery in the background). The new gladed terrain will probably also give you a nice area to shoot. Keep up the good work, and I can't wait to see what you bring next year.

Snowballs
11-23-2009, 08:35 PM
Also we are hoping to do a park shoot at Whiteface this year. Rumor is a big jump high up on the mountain!!! Cross your fingers.

this should be cool with the new park at Face. not an expert, but Face seems to build nice stuff.

Glad to see you made it back Alkyy. that knee thing OUCH!

Good luck guys!!! i think if you ever need any help you could post here and probably find some.

Matt had a good point on the scenery and new glades. makes me wonder if showing certain features couldn't also be a marketing draw. Face is world famous. a chance for film goers to see first hand new stuff they've never seen before may draw people into a film. plenty of people who have been to Face, don't make it back each year.

hehehe. you guys outta poach the bobsled run. let's see you ski that hot shot! lol. JK!!!! or that slide thing down at the beach on Mirror Lake w/Placid's Christmas lites and a Dogsled pulling skiers for a lake launch. Hey Warren Miller had that motorcycle powered rope tow launch. Meatheads ripped the Magic Forest....will CS Films rip the North Pole? It has more vert, much better terrain and reindeer. ah, i digress...but it's better than Joe Bruno's consults.

Harvey44
11-23-2009, 09:53 PM
Thanks for the props on my stuff earlier up in the post.

I missed the festival, the distance was just too much. Matt did turn us on to your Big Tupper movie with a Vimeo link. Really nice work!