PDA

View Full Version : Trails to avoid . . .

mattchuck2
03-01-2006, 09:27 AM
Okay, it's a busy holiday weekend, and every idiot in the world is at the mountain. What trails do you avoid, knowing that they will be crowded, icy and deadly?

I hate to say it, but Excelsior is on my list. It used to be my favorite trail until they put the Gondi in. Now every moron, yahoo, gaper and newb just takes the gondola straight up to Little Whiteface and gets involved in a bumper car race 'til Lower Cloud.

Also Lower Valley becomes deadly on Saturday afternoons . . especially when there's new snow and bumps start to form next to the NASTAR starting house. The people that know how to ski can breeze right through, but the unenlightened seem to link their arms together in a series of traverses in an attempt to make all passage completely impossible.

What else?

freeheelwilly
03-01-2006, 09:58 AM
You've got 'em: Excelsior, upper and lower valleys. Throw in broadway and lower northway and that's where 80% of the cluster can be found.

Son of Drifter
03-01-2006, 10:15 AM
Okay, it's a busy holiday weekend, and every idiot in the world is at the mountain. What trails do you avoid, knowing that they will be crowded, icy and deadly?

I hate to say it, but Excelsior is on my list. It used to be my favorite trail until they put the Gondi in. Now every moron, yahoo, gaper and newb just takes the gondola straight up to Little Whiteface and gets involved in a bumper car race 'til Lower Cloud.

Also Lower Valley becomes deadly on Saturday afternoons . . especially when there's new snow and bumps start to form next to the NASTAR starting house. The people that know how to ski can breeze right through, but the unenlightened seem to link their arms together in a series of traverses in an attempt to make all passage completely impossible.

What else?

Any trail you're on. Don't you think the wonderful paying ($63/day $67 holidays) customers who you call "moron, yahoo, gaper and newb" deserve to ride the Gondi and have a place to play too? Stop the hating. :twisted:

mattchuck2
03-01-2006, 10:25 AM
This helps explain why you're suck a jerk. You're a hater

Any trail you're on. Don't you think the wonderful paying ($63/day $67 holidays) customers who you call "moron, yahoo, gaper and newb" deserve to ride the Gondi and have a place to play too? Stop the hating. :twisted:

I didn't say they don't deserve a place to play . . . I just said I want to avoid them, and therefore it's good to know where they are.

Also, by hating on me hating on people, aren't you a hater yourself? Haven't you become that which you are against?

In fact, isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to me, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

Son of Drifter
03-01-2006, 10:28 AM
This helps explain why you're suck a jerk. You're a hater

I didn't say they don't deserve a place to play . . . I just said I want to avoid them, and therefore it's good to know where they are.

Also, by hating on me hating on people, aren't you a hater yourself? Haven't you become that which you are against?

In fact, isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to me, but I'm not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America.

And they thought I was crazy. :twisted:

mattchuck2
03-01-2006, 10:33 AM
Indeed . .

If we weren't all crazy we would go insane.

highpeaksdrifter
03-01-2006, 10:36 AM
Paron's can get busy and skied off from time to time. I have to say though that the times I skied it this season I thought it to be in better shape then in seasons past.

AdironRider
03-01-2006, 10:43 AM
Toga Toga Toga!

Id agree on all counts so far. Any intermediate trail I pretty much avoid at all costs on the weekends, as the masses usually make it amateur hour by 930.

highpeaksdrifter
03-01-2006, 11:10 AM
Toga Toga Toga!

Id agree on all counts so far. Any intermediate trail I pretty much avoid at all costs on the weekends, as the masses usually make it amateur hour by 930.

Comon man, the masses by 9:30? We are taking about WF here. Take a ride to Kmart or Hunta if you want to see masses. You speak with fork tounge.

skigolfhunt
03-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Avoid Upper Mackenzie past 10:30 - 11:00 on those type days also.

SKIdds
03-01-2006, 11:29 AM
Ah, you guys are just spoiled ;). The most crowded holiday weekend at Whiteface is less crowded than most non holiday weekends at any other major resort.

We were at Okemo for President's day weekend.......talk about amateur hours. My 7 yo daughter got knocked down a couple of times, even with me running interference. Even accomplished skiers there seemed to have no knowledge of the Code :roll: .

That being said, Excelsior and Upper/Lower Valley are the trails to avoid when it gets "crowded". Of course I'm not sure who is to blame for that. The mountain is what the mountain is, so more trails aren't an option, and you can't really blame the gapers and noobs for being there. Intermediates, and beginners who should legitimately be challenging their skills on the easier intermediate trails, really don't have that many places to go. The only reason Parons isn't worse is because a lot of those intermediate/soon to be intermediate skiers don't want to brave the Summit Quad.

Phineas
03-01-2006, 03:03 PM
any one loaded w/ U yellow jacket types! :evil:

freeheelwilly
03-01-2006, 04:50 PM
You've got 'em: Excelsior, upper and lower valleys. Throw in broadway and lower northway and that's where 80% of the cluster can be found.

Hey! That's not what I posted! Censorship! HPD, I gots to be me! :lol: :lol:

Son of Drifter
03-02-2006, 09:48 AM

Hey! That's not what I posted! Censorship! HPD, I gots to be me! :lol: :lol:

Another example of the man keeping you down. :twisted:

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-02-2006, 01:48 PM
I hear you guys, Excelsior, Boreen, and upper and lower valley can be a slowly moving obstacle course on fri/sat/sun... but isnt that half the fun?! Dont get me wrong I get sketched when the little ones are traversing back and fourth across the entire trail, but riding in traffic can be a great learning experience. Ive been racing boardercross for about 5 years now, and I contribute a lot of my racing skills to just surviving high speed groomers packed with people.
Tips for riding in crowds:
1. Keep your head up and on a swivel... Beginners tend to take up the whole trail with each turn, so be prepared to predict which way they are gonna go next in front of you.
2. Make your presence felt... If youre coming up on a newbie or a slower skiier, let em know youre there. I usually use the "ON YOUR RIGHT!" "ON YOUR LEFT!" If they know youre there they at least they are expecting you.
3. Give the little ones a WIDE birth... Most of the time the little guys have no concept of other skiiers/riders being on the hill with them. You never know where they're planning on going, so leave yourself some space for a quick pass out of danger.
4. Be extremely cautious on headwalls and blind drops... A lot of beginners will stop to rest under the crest of some sections... always assume that there is someone beyond that drop... Its a blast to catch some air off those drop-outs, but make sure you arent gonna plaster someone whose stopped underneath.
If anyone has any other crowd safety tips post em up! Im no expert on safety... just trying to pass on the knowledge ive aquired riding at Whiteface for the past 10 years.

highpeaksdrifter
03-02-2006, 02:08 PM
Ive been racing boardercross for about 5 years now, and I contribute a lot of my racing skills to just surviving high speed groomers packed with people.

Where have you competed, at what level, and how have your results been? I liked watching the tour last year and look forward to it next weekend.

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-02-2006, 02:31 PM
Mostly USASA races.... and wherever they stage single races im there. I finished 3rd in the Buffalo Boards series in western ny.... 5th overall last season in western ny usasa's, 12th overall in southern vt usasa's. I have 5 wins under my belt so far. This season hasnt been much of a race season due to the snow woes.... no snow, no race courses... hopefully after the buzz from the olympic BX mtns around here will start to host more boardercross events. Dont miss out on the US snowboard cup races being held at Whitey next weekend!

Denison
03-02-2006, 02:32 PM
I disagree with coining likes of Excelsior, Upper Valley, Boreen as "high speed". I try to avoid them at any time of day, partly because there are a lot of people who do not have other choice. I ski those trails a lot slower then I'd ski steeper trails and absolutely agree with enforcing 'no speeding' policy on those trails.
When I feel like speeding I'd just go staright down Skyward, where it's wide and you can see far ahead.

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-02-2006, 03:12 PM
Monday morning, 10 deg, freshly groomed hard-packed corduroy... in my opinion excelsior cant be beat for blastin... all those turns.... so much fun! I can go flat out as fast as I can on Excelsior and still be in control and "safe". When i blast down Skyward I gotta be so conscious of how fast I am going and whats coming up on me... maybe its because ive just ridden excelsior to death and i know each and every bump and turn. I guess im not as hardcore as you skiiers... If anyone wants to blast top to bottom for a beer let me know, Ill bet you'll be buyin!

mattchuck2
03-02-2006, 03:40 PM
You on a snowboard and me on 215 DH boards? Hmmm . . . I might be up for that challenge.

Son of Drifter
03-02-2006, 05:04 PM
Monday morning, 10 deg, freshly groomed hard-packed corduroy... in my opinion excelsior cant be beat for blastin... all those turns.... so much fun! I can go flat out as fast as I can on Excelsior and still be in control and "safe". When i blast down Skyward I gotta be so conscious of how fast I am going and whats coming up on me... maybe its because ive just ridden excelsior to death and i know each and every bump and turn. I guess im not as hardcore as you skiiers... If anyone wants to blast top to bottom for a beer let me know, Ill bet you'll be buyin!

If you're going flat out in a slow speed zone don't complain when someone in a red and/or yellow coat clips your ticket. Management is making it a point to crack down on any speeding in those areas. :twisted:

Son of Drifter
03-02-2006, 05:06 PM
You on a snowboard and me on 215 DH boards? Hmmm . . . I might be up for that challenge.
Take it to Gore. I don't feel like scrapping a skier and boarder off the snow. :twisted:

tjf67
03-03-2006, 09:51 AM
Out of all the strings in here this is without doubt the gayest of them all.
POW POW ANYONE

Son of Drifter
03-03-2006, 10:27 AM
POW POW ANYONE

Yet you managed to raise the brokeback meter a little with the POW POW comment. Way to take it to another level. Now go rope some steer. :twisted:

freeheelwilly
03-03-2006, 10:35 AM
POW POW ANYONE

Yet you managed to raise the brokeback meter a little with the POW POW comment. Way to take it to another level. Now go rope some steer. :twisted:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah TJ, this was resolved back in the RSN era. The term "Pow Pow" is very, very gay. C'mon. We've been over this.

tjf67
03-03-2006, 10:42 AM
POW POW ANYONE

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yeah TJ, this was resolved back in the RSN era. The term "Pow Pow" is very, very gay. C'mon. We've been over this.

And that is why I threw it in there. Keep up fellas I thought it fit the string

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-03-2006, 02:55 PM
Why dont you hit the mtn TJ instead of wasting your time on here all day long... 1.5 posts per day?!

I also think Tj rocks pink skis! heh

Son of Drifter
03-03-2006, 03:30 PM
Why dont you hit the mtn TJ instead of wasting your time on here all day long... 1.5 posts per day?!

I don't like where this is going. One piece of warning FCB...you mess with the bull and you get the horns. :twisted:

highpeaksdrifter
03-03-2006, 03:35 PM

FCB, I don't know what your deal is but this stuff isn't going to work here. It's not a name calling high school forum. We value your input, but please no more like this.

tjf67
03-03-2006, 03:35 PM

I have a Job :cry: But is does provide me the means to buy new pink skiis each year :wink: