PDA

View Full Version : NASTAR At Whiteface

Face4Me
11-06-2009, 06:12 PM
I've been told that Whiteface is going to do away with the NASTAR course this season. Has anyone else heard about this?

Snowballs
11-06-2009, 06:34 PM
that would suck.

to tell the truth, perhaps we should be satisfied with whatever both mtns accomplish in this economy. wonder how season pass sales are going?

highpeaksdrifter
11-06-2009, 08:14 PM
This is on the website:

NASTAR at Whiteface is on Lower Valley. You can't miss us we're right under the Face lift. Our hours of operation are 10:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. weekends and holiday periods.

2009-2010 Adult NASTAR Rates:
$5 for one run
$7 for two runs
$10 All Day

2009-2010 Juniors 12 and under NASTAR Rates:
$3 for one run
$5 for two runs
$8 All Day

NPN
11-07-2009, 08:10 PM
that would suck.

to tell the truth, perhaps we should be satisfied with whatever both mtns accomplish in this economy. wonder how season pass sales are going?

Well, on a similar, but unrelated note, Whiteface had the best schwaggg by far at this weekend's Ski 'n Snowboard Expo.

Smuggs, and Kmart were a surprising no show, as was Ski Market, and many of the other regulars.

Not exactly a surprise, but still a sad commentary on the current state of affairs.

Regardless, I'm luvin' my new Whiteface/Lake Placid, "no thank you to paper, or plastic" grocery bag.

whipple
11-08-2009, 04:16 PM
Yes, NASTAR is gone from Whiteface, at least for this season. :(
Three reasons were sited:
1. budget
2. 3 week closure would be necessary due to World Cup and NORAM SkierX
3. It was deemed that more space was needed for tower 10 hill.

nyspnypd
11-08-2009, 06:20 PM
1. budget

um if you didn't see one post before yours there still will be NASTAR.

Face4Me
11-08-2009, 07:49 PM
1. budget
Not sure if it will help, but there's an on-line petition to try to save NASTAR at the following URL:

http://new.ipetitions.com/petition/savewfnastar/

highpeaksdrifter
11-08-2009, 08:21 PM
1. budget

I just copied it from the website. Whipple would know the lastest about NASTAR at WF for sure.

It's been so popular at WF that this really catches me by suprise.

Denison
11-08-2009, 08:25 PM

well, there is no Whiteface in official "Where to Race (2009/10 Season)" list:

http://www.nastar.com/index.jsp?pagename=wheretorace#NY

so, I assume there will be no Nastar at WF. There is one at Gore though

zski
11-09-2009, 04:08 PM
:cry:
I heard that whiteface management let the employees that staff Nastar know that they will not be running Nastar
the website is not update yet on this

They site the budget as a cause but at the same time they are expanding the park to include Broadway which will be closed to regular traffic. next year they want to also continue the park on to mid valley below the mid station to danny's brigde. What's next a park on mt run or skyward?

it costs at least 10 times more to run and maintain a park compared to a regular slope so spending more on parks and cutting Nastar seems ill advised

if you want to save Nastar please go and sign the petition and write a letter to Bruce to let him know your opinion

http://new.ipetitions.com/petition/savewfnastar/

Denison
11-16-2009, 10:29 AM
NASTAR closing together with making Brodaway a park only trail - two dumb moves. Way to start, Mr. McCulley

Hoser
11-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Could not have said it better myself Denison. Petition signed and commented. Very disappointed in the continued reduced support of racers at Whiteface.

Know many kids, now competing in USSA programs, who "got the bug" from NASTAR. What message does this send that the funds now support growth of parks, rather than a discipline already receiving minimal TV time and national coverage less and less each season.

highpeaksdrifter
11-16-2009, 11:16 AM
I prefer to wait and see before I pass judgment. Changes in the way things are done in any business seldom turn out as good or bad as people perceive before they happen.

Park is a growing segment of the ski/ride population. If WF doesn’t accommodate them then they’ll go somewhere else.

zski
11-16-2009, 11:52 AM
Here is an idea if they need more space on tower 10 hill lets put Nastar on Broadway instead of a terrian park - it will be less expensive than having to blow extra snow for the features in the park.

Here is a little simple financial anaysis of the terrian park. I've heard that the park budget was north of $500,000 - to cover the extra snow, extra grooming time building the features, staff, liability for injuries, higher insurance etc. Let's say that will the large addition of broadway the park budget is $600k. At $74 a day for lift tickets that means you have to sell over 8100 more lift tickets just to break even on cash flow.

the proper way to do this would be to really look at the extra profit that the park brings in. Since we don't know WF's margin lets just say its 25%. In that case WF would have to sell over 24,000 more lift tickets to justify the terriain park. I don't the park supports any where near that. On a weekend its the same 25-50 kids that use the thing all day long and most of them have a season's pass.

If WF got rid of the park it would not hurt the tourist business in Placid one bit. Park rats are not really the demographic that LP is looking for

Conversely - nastar is cheap to operate - just a few staff on snow that is already blown. Since their is less traffic on Nastar is does not need as much snow as a regular trail. It brings in extra money on top of a lift ticket. Both locals and tourists use and love it. This is a no brainer financial decision - keep Nastar and dump the parks.

Hoser
11-16-2009, 12:09 PM
Fair point on growth of the Parks

"If WF doesn’t accommodate them then they’ll go somewhere else."
This applies to the racing community also.
Have already seen this begin to happen.

Denison
11-16-2009, 01:05 PM
On top of direct costs, it looks like parks are an added liability headache:

Yesterday at library I read article from SKIING magazine, with following from lawyer's experience:

If someone encounters a natural feature [like a rock, cliff, or tree], the resort will win those cases more often than not. But cases involving terrain parks and other manmade conditions are a little trickier.

here is the link to original source

http://www.skinet.com/skiing/fondue-party/ski-culture/2009/10/a-tree-suddenly-got-in-my-way-im-suing

highpeaksdrifter
11-16-2009, 01:36 PM
Here is an idea if they need more space on tower 10 hill lets put Nastar on Broadway instead of a terrian park - it will be less expensive than having to blow extra snow for the features in the park.

Here is a little simple financial anaysis of the terrian park. I've heard that the park budget was north of $500,000 - to cover the extra snow, extra grooming time building the features, staff, liability for injuries, higher insurance etc. Let's say that will the large addition of broadway the park budget is $600k. At $74 a day for lift tickets that means you have to sell over 8100 more lift tickets just to break even on cash flow.

the proper way to do this would be to really look at the extra profit that the park brings in. Since we don't know WF's margin lets just say its 25%. In that case WF would have to sell over 24,000 more lift tickets to justify the terriain park. I don't the park supports any where near that. On a weekend its the same 25-50 kids that use the thing all day long and most of them have a season's pass.

If WF got rid of the park it would not hurt the tourist business in Placid one bit. Park rats are not really the demographic that LP is looking for

Conversely - nastar is cheap to operate - just a few staff on snow that is already blown. Since their is less traffic on Nastar is does not need as much snow as a regular trail. It brings in extra money on top of a lift ticket. Both locals and tourists use and love it. This is a no brainer financial decision - keep Nastar and dump the parks.

You make a compelling argument; however, if it is a no brainer why don’t they do it your way? I’m sure they thought of it. I don’t think they’re trying to lose money so maybe they think it's a sound business decision.

Alkyy
11-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Not going to lie im on the exact other side of the argument here. I think that a good well recognized park will do wonders for the mtn. If your planning a family vacation and your kids really push the place with a good park your gunna be apt to go there, not many kids these days are going to push there parents to go to a resort because it has a nastar. The thruway park is now going to be a normal trail as is where the half pipe was which will be great for the ski school.

I am biased on this, i have been riding whiteface parks since i was a little kid. I think the expansion is a great thing, look at it this way. When its a spring day and all the park rats are straightlining in and out of everyone to get straight to the park THAT causes a huge liabilty. So now if they are just weaving in and out of people from broadway to Dbridge there isnt as much room for someone to get seriously hurt.

Also with the change in trails (this isnt so much of an expansion as it is a relocation) it will allow for a seperation of intermediate and expert jumps in the park. In turn making it safer for everyone

sorry for the poor grammer, I'm about to run to class so no chance to look it over. And if im wrong on some of these points, please correct me

Denison
11-16-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm not against parks: take wide trail (Lower Valley) - build a park; make a park features on an "extra" little used trail (no example here) or cut new trail - make it a park.

What looks to be happening with Broadway - is the safe alternative to Upper Valley being take away from intermediate skiers.

Snowballs
11-16-2009, 02:50 PM
i'm not so sure the liability issue is a sound arguement against parks. After all there are plenty of resorts that have them. in fact they're standard at the majority of mtns. So are some here saying these mtns are losing money due to Park litigation? And yet they still operate and expand their parks.

the evidence is that parks are good things, good for business and good for customers. Rumor around Gore has been Patrol doesn't want to be bothered with a Park. i don't discount that.

Xtremeskiier
11-16-2009, 08:21 PM
I can't believe they would choose Broadway since its a great intermediate run at the end of the day when upper valley goes to crap. I think that if they were going to have to pay this extra money for liability, they should spendit on a larger skiier cross and leave it up on lower valley. People would definately pay to do that and Whiteface is a racers mountain. The weather conditions make it unusually icy and is known as a steep and fast mountain. Ski areas usually add parks as a way to get younger kids to come and inturn bring out more families. In whiteface's case, there are so few people in the parks that I don't see it bringing in much added value to the mountain... just my thoughts though

CS_Films
11-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Freestyle skiing and Snowboarding are becoming a large part of the ski industry. Allot of the most successful mountains in the country have great parks and defiantly draw people and families. This park expansion is a great thing they are doing. I know they had planed on doing some trail work to relieve pressure on tower 10 hill and that was never able to happen this may be a major reason for this. Whiteface is working hard along with every New York State entity in making every dollar they spend count. I am sure alot of things were taken into consideration when they made this move.

Snowballs
11-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Freestyle skiing and Snowboarding are becoming a large part of the ski industry. Allot of the most successful mountains in the country have great parks and defiantly draw people and families. This park expansion is a great thing they are doing. I know they had planed on doing some trail work to relieve pressure on tower 10 hill and that was never able to happen this may be a major reason for this. Whiteface is working hard along with every New York State entity in making every dollar they spend count. I am sure alot of things were taken into consideration when they made this move.

Dude...i was just writing about you on the Misc. page here under the Wild Stallions thread. Welcome to the board!!! You and you friends have some great talent in front of and behind the camera. not kidding.

how about that for a coincedence! these young guys are turning out some great film work that not only displays their awesome skiing skills...their cinematography, presentation etc blah blah far surpasses their limited film making career and puts them ahead of others who are on this path who have more money and experience. that rocks! good job!!!

fujative.
11-20-2009, 12:02 AM

HI, I'm a "park rat" here to rain on your parade. You'd be amazed how much money a good park will bring a mountain. And being a freestyle skier, I can tell you Whiteface has the best park in NY. On another Freestyle skiing forum, kids from all over the northeast make threads about where to go in NY for a good park. Kids drag their families from Canada, Downstate, Western NY, and even Pennsylvania for the park.

I think that you're missing that most of these "park rats" are under the age of 18, coming from where ever with their families. Just because the entire family doesn't go through the park, doesn't mean the park isn't part of the reason why they're there. And you say maybe 25 kids hit the park a day, most of them with passes? WRONG. Try waiting to hit that first jump. Each feature will have a line of about 30 people.

SKIdds
11-20-2009, 08:48 AM
I am not a park rat, so I'm not in there all the time. But I do pass through that way a couple of times a day when I'm on the hill. Did I mention I ski WF mostly on holiday weekends? I've never seen a line of 30 people waiting for a feature in the park. Not that I'm completely disagreeing with your points about who the park brings in (I really can't say), but me thinks you exaggerate a wee bit to make your point ;). Or maybe I just go through at the right times to avoid those crowds. Lucky me.

zski
11-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Ok let's explore this idea that park actually makes money (though i personally very much doubt this is the case)

since there is (was) a charge to use Nastar it would only seem to make sense to me than to charge for use of the park

Given that only a small percentage of skiers / riders really use it the cost of building the features. It would actually be very helpful in defense of law suits regarding injuries that occur in the park if they would charge a fee to use it and require a waiver signature when you pay for it. Since you would be taking the use of the park away from others that wouldn't pay and it used to be free lets say you give everyone that opts out a $5 discount off current rates. This could help spur lift ticket sales as well for non - park types. Of course since only at best 20% (i'd put it at close to 10%) of people would pay to use the park you would need to charge them at least $20 plus some profit to lets say $25.

OK park rats - would you pay $25 to use the park?

Just like Nastar they would sell a season pass to the park say for $100-150

In business school they teach you that if that is someone is not willing to pay for something its not worth doing. I suspect the park would not make the cut as a stand alone business model as i laid out. In an earlier post I've made my case how the park is not financially sound either so why the heck is WF spending more on parks - THEY LOSE MONEY NO MATTER HOW YOU LOOK AT IT!

SKIdds
11-20-2009, 10:54 AM
From a business standpoint you can't always use the 'if it can't float as a standalone you shouldn't do it' argument, as fujative makes a viable point. If there are a dozen people in the park on a given day whose family chose WF as a destination because it had a decent park for their junior shredder, you'd have to assign at least a portion (if not all) of the revenue generated by ticket sales to Jhonny's mom, dad sis and bro, along with the Kid's Kampus lessons sis and bro took, and adult lessons mom took, and the grub they purchasd at lunch, and, and......to the park operations. HOw can you really figure how it does as a standalone? That non-park-user revenue would not have existed but for the park, so how do you count it?

Problem is, we have no idea how much that is really happening. However, I bet more people choose a destination because it has a great park as opposed to a NASTAR course, and NASTAR revenue had to to be negligible.

All in all, I'm ok with the park development. Honestly, even though I'm old and I suck at them, I use the pipe and the park more than the nastar course.

It would be interesting to know more about the true cost of NASTAR. What kind of fees, if any, did the mountain have to pay to support the program and other stuff like that. NASTAR might not have been as profitable as a standalone as everyone seems to be assuming.

zski
11-20-2009, 11:31 AM
i hear the the park brings the mom dad and gramps to the mountain agruement but if you read my earlier post on financial analysis of the park does it bring at least 24000 more lift tickets a year to cover its costs - doubt it

to me losing Broadway is as big if not a bigger issue than losing Nastar. That is going to put that much more traffic on upper valley and easy street. Easy street is where the lower level skier are so that is not good and upper valley already gets really icy or sloppy at the end of the day now. How bad is that going to be with 50% more traffic on it all day long

PeteG
11-20-2009, 01:29 PM
i hear the the park brings the mom dad and gramps to the mountain agruement but if you read my earlier post on financial analysis of the park does it bring at least 24000 more lift tickets a year to cover its costs - doubt it

to me losing Broadway is as big if not a bigger issue than losing Nastar. That is going to put that much more traffic on upper valley and easy street. Easy street is where the lower level skier are so that is not good and upper valley already gets really icy or sloppy at the end of the day now. How bad is that going to be with 50% more traffic on it all day long

I'm also not happy with losing Nastar, but I agree with zski's last comment about traffic flow. I think this will become the biggest problem this year. Losing both Broadway and Off Broadway greatly reduces the options for the skiers/boarders coming off the Summit and Excelsior/Lower Northway. Concentrating all of that traffic onto 2 trails instead of 3 will(imho) cause a) Upper Valley to get skied off earlier in the day, and b) push more intermediate/advanced skiers onto Easy Street.

The flow also could become a problem at the bottom, below midstation, as there are 4 terrain park sections(not inclding kids campus) below midstation;
1) Half pipe - entrance off of Boreen
2) Danny's Bridge/Brookside
3) Fox(was Lower Valley last year) - below race finish
4) Wolf and Wolf Run - depending on how often this open to the public - I heard it may be used for trainning the NYSEF kids.

Only time will tell, but having all of theses trails dedicated to terrain parks is one thing, but having them spead all over the mountain could be a problem as it will cause to much mixing of skiers/boarders with significantly different abilities on to many trails.

Snowballs
11-20-2009, 01:54 PM
maybe it's time to become a Park Rat. The lil whipper snappers better not laugh at us old farts. :wink:

Face4Me
11-20-2009, 03:20 PM

This thread has gone in two directions, both of which I'll throw my two cents at.

The first is the issue of NASTAR. Where I work, we have a policy against using the words "all" and "every". It's kind of like never saying "never". To completely do away with NASTAR seems foolish to me. If cost is the issue, why not run it only on weekends? Why not come up with some ideas on how to increase use of the NASTAR course? For example, at the end of the season, Whiteface hosts the annual Apple Butter Moguls event. Why not hold some amateur race events on the NASTAR course at several times during the season. See if a sponsor could be found who would offer some kind of a prize, and charge each entrant the standard NASTAR fee to enter. I suspect a lot of people would probably like to try the course if they had a chance at some kind of a prize. The point is, try to come up with some creative solutions to the problem rather than just giving up. If cost is not the issue, then what is?

As for the creation of a park on Broadway, I have to agree with some of the others on this board. It seems like a bad idea to me, and one that is going to create some pretty nasty "traffic" problems on Upper Valley in particular, and make things uncomfortable for novice skiers on Easy Street and Boreen. In addition, I think you have to wonder about the affect of this park traffic coming off of Broadway and then flying down on the Boreen Headwall which is already a pretty nasty spot. I hope they plan to have a full time Safety Patrol staff at the end of Broadway keeping things in order!

Here's another crazy idea ... How about converting all of Kid's Kampus into a park? Sounds crazy, but if you think it through, it's not such a bad idea. You'd have a dedicated lift for the "park rats". You could sell three types of tickets: Park Only, Mountain Only, and Combination. It would keep the "park rats" away from the rest of the mountain, which could have an overall positive affect on traffic and accidents. They could use Mixing Bowl, Wolf Run, Wolf, Bear and Deer as the learning area. These trail are all pretty well isolated from the rest of the mountain the way the Kids Kampus trails are. The only problem would be that you'd probably need to convert the Bear lift to a triple chair to accomodate the Play N Ski program, or you'd just need to use more ski school apprentices to escort the young kids on the chair. Just a thought anyway!

Snowballs
11-20-2009, 03:50 PM
good points. traffic problems may cause accidents and the whole area gets posted as a slow zone.

a lift for a park would be awesome in that people wouldn't have to keep going much higher up just to get down to the park. Park-ers could steadily rip just the park over and over again. they'ld like that.

Kid's Kampus is popular and very useful. it would be hard to get support for changing it.

How to accommadate all these ideas and desires is complicated.

-=koLLac=-
11-20-2009, 04:08 PM
Here's another crazy idea ... How about converting all of Kid's Kampus into a park? Sounds crazy, but if you think it through, it's not such a bad idea. You'd have a dedicated lift for the "park rats". You could sell three types of tickets: Park Only, Mountain Only, and Combination. It would keep the "park rats" away from the rest of the mountain, which could have an overall positive affect on traffic and accidents. They could use Mixing Bowl, Wolf Run, Wolf, Bear and Deer as the learning area. These trail are all pretty well isolated from the rest of the mountain the way the Kids Kampus trails are. The only problem would be that you'd probably need to convert the Bear lift to a triple chair to accomodate the Play N Ski program, or you'd just need to use more ski school apprentices to escort the young kids on the chair. Just a thought anyway!

Hello, I agree with your questions and points about NASTAR. I've never tried it but I know I definitely would have if a prize was involved!

I think another issue with the move to Broadway will be people who do NOT belong to the park skiing/riding through it because they are used to taking that trail. Not only will those people damage the take-offs and landings by not using them properly, they'll also put themselves and "park rats" at risk for serious injury due to potential collisions.

Kid's Campus wouldn't work because it's flat. That's already been an issue with Brookside...unfortunately there isn't really a good "park" trail at Whiteface. If you ever go out West and look at the parks at like Breckenridge, Keystone, Park City, etc. they are on wide and actually moderately steep trails. Broadway starts out OK but flattens out much like Brookside so I'm not sure how they'll pull it off. I'm excited to see it, though.

Face4Me
11-20-2009, 04:52 PM
Kid's Campus wouldn't work because it's flat. That's already been an issue with Brookside...unfortunately there isn't really a good "park" trail at Whiteface. If you ever go out West and look at the parks at like Breckenridge, Keystone, Park City, etc. they are on wide and actually moderately steep trails. Broadway starts out OK but flattens out much like Brookside so I'm not sure how they'll pull it off. I'm excited to see it, though.
Yeah ... I figured that might be a problem, but not really being too familiar with the needs of park, I thought it might be possible to pile the snow to deal with the grade issues.

Like I said ... it was just a thought! :oops:

Hoser
11-20-2009, 05:16 PM
Agree on the comments that forcing the general public away from Broadway will turn Upper Valley into a killing field even sooner in the day. :evil: He who tunes wins!

Regarding choosing a destinitation based on NASTAR - we have chosen to go to mountains because of NASTAR (both in the East and in the West) over the last few years; it has become one of the heavier weighted variables. Similar to kids pushing for a mountain with a park, other kids push for a mountain w/ NASTAR, both racers and non-racers who want to "play" in the gates and earn some recognition (medal).
:roll:

CS_Films
11-23-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the props earlier on in the thread. I will see if i can shed some more light on this issue.

Nastar does not turn a profit for the mountain it was a service that they provided just like the park to help people enjoy the mountain.

The idea of turning kids campus into a entire park is a great idea but its not possible. Its to flat and kids campus is one of the best things about Whiteface. Im sure that is a huge draw for families which would be there biggest profit maker.

There are a few mountains who have a dedicated lift and area for park and it does work out great.
Whiteface being so tall and thin its hard for them to do that.

Also they are putting up a Timed course somewhere im not sure the details but its a different system i think much simpler and easer for them to operate.

Nastar is not gone forever they plan to bring it back.

Alkyy
11-23-2009, 12:49 PM
I think that the extra traffic that upper valley will get will not be as bad as when the park kids straightline in and out of people just to get to the park, ive never hit someone myself but i have heard of fellow park skiiers who have hurt people because they were trying to get to the park ASAP!. Kids campus is far to flat for anything, the best trail whiteface has for a park for gradent would be upper thruway/drapers drop up untill the steep headwall. Thats how steep parks should be.

Nastar has lost the mtn money, no disputing it. It does draw a few people like an earlier post said, probably just enough to break even on it, not quite as much as the parks.

And im the assistand director for CS films so thanks for the complement!!

Snowballs
11-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Oh you guys are more than welcome!

weezy
12-08-2009, 08:35 PM
Don't mean to beat a dead horse with this late post, but here I am anyway. It seems to me that Alkyy and friends see the straightlining (and the potential for hitting others) as an acceptable or unavoidable risk. I see the fact that Whiteface chooses to give the straightliners more of their own space to avoid this as "rewarding bad behavior". It really disturbs me. I have nothing against snowboarders or their enjoyment of the mountain. I do have something against their sometimes lack of respect for others- probably not a "boarding" thing, but more of an "age" or attitude thing....behavior that should be punished- not rewarded at the expense of more respectful boarders and skiers by giving them more space on the mountain.
As for the demise of NASTAR, I question Alkyy's certainty that it has lost Whiteface money- not sure how he knows that. It seems he's just happy it will be out of the way. It's always difficult to put a dollar amount on how many tickets were sold because of any one feature on the mountain, but, as someone who has spent a lot of time at the NASTAR course, I know that it has attracted many repeaters and thrilled many first timers. It has been a draw to great racers, as well as beginner kids and adults. Folks complain when its closed and WILL miss it when its gone. I question whether giving more space to the parks will make up for the loss of NASTAR. Will Whiteface gain more new snowboarders than they will lose NASTAR racers? I doubt it. It looks like they're taking away some of the variety to please just a few. Hope you "straigtliners" buy lots and lots of full price day passes and bring all your paying friends, because I think Whiteface is driving many of the NASTAR regulars right to other mountains.

CS_Films
12-08-2009, 09:13 PM
I can assure NASTAR lost the mountain money. They kept it open as a service, not to make money. The reasoning to build the park bigger was not to reward bad behavior it had nothing to do with the kids straight lignin. Its the fact they they are now putting everything in one spot so they can hit everything in one spot.

CS_Films
12-08-2009, 09:28 PM
Lets not blame this all on the park eather. That was one of three reasons they stoped it for this season. the other two were budget and with the races they are having would only allow NASTAR to be open for 10 weeks.

zski
12-09-2009, 10:17 AM
skiing has been and always will be about turning

once these kids learn to properly turn if they want to go and bash their teeth in on metal rails - go right ahead

the reason that they straightline to the park is mostly due to the fact that most of them cant make a decent turn and park skis are not really even designed to turn well

I've seen these park rats run over little kids on the way to the park - and based on comments made above that seems to be ok in the park culture - IT IS NOT OK TO BE UNSAFE EVER - safety patrol need to get tough with them and establish a zero tolerance policy on straightlining

-=koLLac=-
12-09-2009, 12:54 PM

once these kids learn to properly turn if they want to go and bash their teeth in on metal rails - go right ahead

the reason that they straightline to the park is mostly due to the fact that most of them cant make a decent turn and park skis are not really even designed to turn well

I've seen these park rats run over little kids on the way to the park - and based on comments made above that seems to be ok in the park culture - IT IS NOT OK TO BE UNSAFE EVER - safety patrol need to get tough with them and establish a zero tolerance policy on straightlining

I agree that it is not ok to be unsafe. However, it's not fair to blame an entire group for the bad judgment of a few. I have personally never hit anybody while skiing fast (I generally do not straighline anything but the flattest trails) and as far as I remember none of the guys in my group have either (when I was with them). I've definitely seen collisions, but they were by no means limited to "park rats vs. little kids". In fact, most were cause by inexperienced skiers/snowboarders getting out of control. Anyway.

My issue with your post is how skiing is only about turning. What about cross country skiing (or those silly biathlon athletes), ski jumping, aerials, skiercross...etc? Newschool skiing is just another development...perhaps a fad, but perhaps it is not. I'd lean towards the latter as I've witnessed a tremendous increase in the use of twintips here in the US and around the world (I hail from what Americans refer to as Eastern Europe...even though it's in the dead center of it). I feel that it draws more people to the sport (of skiing in general) than any other kind of skiing. All it takes is a set of twintips - it doesn't require loads of money (racing) - and it has the "cool factor" the young kids respond to. Sure, their oversized jackets and pants look silly, but at least they're out there skiing instead of staring at the TV with an Xbox controller in their hands.

In essence, you can't make parks go away. What we all can do, is advocate responsible behavior and teach the kids a thing or two about skiing. The last thing a teenager will listen to is an order to NOT do something.

Face4Me
12-09-2009, 02:40 PM

To be fair, I've seen plenty of problems created by NYSEF kids as well, as they "race" their way down the mountain to be the first one at their cabin at lunchtime. Often-times, the coaches can be heard encouraging the kids to ski in an overly reckless manner - at least in my opinion.

The bottom line is that people need to think more about safety (young people in particular). If not their own safety, then the safety of others. I could care less what a kid does in the terrain park, assuming he/she has checked their landing and is not going to do anything that would hurt anyone other than their self.

Unfortunately, by moving the terrain park onto Broadway, and moving the half-pipe so that it's situated off of Boreen, I just have to believe there are going to be a lot of problems with park riders flying down Boreen to Brookside and the half-pipe, using the beginners on Boreen as slalom gates. Safety patrol be ready!!!

Here's another question ... did they consider using Parkway for the terrain park? It seems to me, that would have been a much better idea. The park "rats" would be able to use the Bear and Freeway chairs, getting off at mid-station if they wanted to, and then they could have continued using Parkway Exit to the half-pipe on Bear. The only "traffic-mix" would have been the crossing point by the Freeway chair to the Bear trail. Wouldn't that have been a better layout? This would really have "isolated" the park traffic to one part of the mountain, instead of mixing it in with one of the primary trails used by novices.

-=koLLac=-
12-09-2009, 02:56 PM
Here's another question ... did they consider using Parkway for the terrain park? It seems to me, that would have been a much better idea. The park "rats" would be able to use the Bear and Freeway chairs, getting off at mid-station if they wanted to, and then they could have continued using Parkway Exit to the half-pipe on Bear. The only "traffic-mix" would have been the crossing point by the Freeway chair to the Bear trail. Wouldn't that have been a better layout? This would really have "isolated" the park traffic to one part of the mountain, instead of mixing it in with one of the primary trails used by novices.

6 years ago the park was on Parkway. I didn't mind it so I don't know why they moved it. The trail is a bit narrow and twisty so that may be the reason why. The pitch is better suited for park, though.

Denison
12-09-2009, 03:52 PM
6 years ago the park was on Parkway.

This is where I remember it when I started skiing WF.

CS_Films
12-09-2009, 06:17 PM
"Parkway is a park builders nightmare" quote from Aaron Kellet.

weezy
12-09-2009, 07:09 PM
"I can assure NASTAR lost the mountain money. They kept it open as a service, not to make money."

I agree that NASTAR probably loses money, but not as much as the park does! You must realize that the park is a much bigger expense to maintain than NASTAR- many full-time employees, plus some part time, LOTS of snow making and extremely high maintenance and grooming...and its FREE to use! Kind of like a "service"... At least NASTAR, since it's "pay-to-play", had some income to offset some of the expense. If one could only do a cost/benefit analysis, we would truly know which is more financially valuable. Since no one has any idea of how many tickets are sold because of either feature, the true cost or benefit of each is, at best, an educated guess. Park rats would vote for theirs...NASTAR freaks for theirs. I just know that my NASTAR freak kids are pretty upset (and, yes, they do enjoy a run through the park occasionally, but love to race and check their scores on-line and compete with their friends). I do understand that there were multiple reasons for NASTAR's closure. However, one of the end results is that the park will get more good space on the mountain at the expense of non-park riders/skiers.
So, park rats, be happy, but know that your good fortune will come at the expense and disappointment of others. Try not to be too gleeful.

P.S. Parkway is great idea for the park- secluded and out of the way, with its own lift! I've actually overheard some park rats complain about the riders they don't think should even be there- maybe if the park were harder to find, it could be even more exclusive!

Face4Me
12-09-2009, 07:10 PM
... for the uninformed ... why? Too many turns? Bad pitch? Not wide enough? Wind exposure? Just mentally comparing it to Broadway, I don't understand why it would be a nightmare ... would you mind explaining?

Thanks.

CS_Films
12-09-2009, 07:49 PM
... for the uninformed ... why? Too many turns? Bad pitch? Not wide enough? Wind exposure? Just mentally comparing it to Broadway, I don't understand why it would be a nightmare ... would you mind explaining?

Thanks.

You basically covered all of the bases. Its also not safe to have a twisty trail because if you land off balance you can shoot off into the woods.

ac
12-09-2009, 07:50 PM
It's too bad about NASTAR. My 12 year old daughter declared Whiteface her mountain last year, and I spent a good amount of money at the NASTAR gate. I told her NASTAR wouldn't be there this year, and it is causing serious concern in the house. It would be good to be able to hit the gates a few weekends during the year even if the course isn't there all the time.

CS_Films
12-09-2009, 07:52 PM
It's too bad about NASTAR. My 12 year old daughter declared Whiteface her mountain last year, and I spent a good amount of money at the NASTAR gate. I told her NASTAR wouldn't be there this year, and it is causing serious concern in the house. It would be good to be able to hit the gates a few weekends during the year even if the course isn't there all the time.

They are going to be putting up a timed gate system for the public. Just not NASTAR.

zski
12-09-2009, 09:08 PM
i agree with the comments on NYSEF - their kids are sometimes out of control and the coaches need to rein them in better

i happen to love parkway but i agree it would be a much better and less intrusive place to locate the park - its steeper which i understand is better for the snow features plus it has its own lift and is as separate as you are going to get on whiteface

just to clear up some things as I come off as park hater - i totally understand park features made out of snow and i like ski the pipe myself. What i don't at all get is why anyone would want to ruin a perfectly good pair of skis by jumping onto a rail stump or god help us all a wire reel (what is up with that - its a shin break looking for a place to happen)

how can anyone that cares about how they turn ruin thier tune by sliding on a rail - i tune daily and i guess most park types only ski on a tuned ski only when they actually have new skis. I have no idea how they hold on the icy condiditon we get at WF - this probably explains why they can't buy a decent turn and have to straightline any way

weezy
12-09-2009, 10:18 PM
They are going to be putting up a timed gate system for the public. Just not NASTAR.

Nice gesture, but sad attempt at replacing the NASTAR course. According to the Facebook post, this will be brush gates- so, single course, no competing with your friends or tracking your results. I'm sure some will find it fun, but a far cry from NASTAR.

Hoser
12-10-2009, 02:32 PM
Gore has a great NASTAR course. Just remember to bring the extra $10 for parking.

Denison
12-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Gore has a great NASTAR course. Just remember to bring the extra $10 for parking.

I will spend my $10 for unlimited day of racing at Gore's Nastar 8)

Denison
01-14-2010, 01:21 PM
A public carving course will open at whiteface soon. More to come on course location / hours

http://www.wise4living.com/khknives/images/carving-knife.jpg

skigolfhunt
01-15-2010, 07:18 AM
A public carving course will open at whiteface soon. More to come on course location / hours

http://www.wise4living.com/khknives/images/carving-knife.jpg

http://www.whiteface.com/just-the-facts/ :arrow: Jan 15 :!:

highpeaksdrifter
01-19-2010, 09:55 AM
Carving course is kinda fun, not NASTAR, but it's ok, also free.

Denison
01-19-2010, 11:29 AM

where is it? what does it look like? (brushes?)

Face4Me
01-19-2010, 01:04 PM

where is it? what does it look like? (brushes?)
It was on the Bear trail (former half-pipe location), and yes, it was a brush course.