PDA

View Full Version : How many people here have an avy beacon?

mattchuck2
11-14-2009, 03:46 PM
I'm questioning whether to add to the ski quiver (something around 88 mm at the waist to complement my pairs that are 68, 78, and 105) or to buy an avalanche beacon/probe/shovel combo (which I'd be able to get a a great price).

I'm going to try to do more BC this year, and there is that random day when the slides are open only to those who have a beacon, but the real reason that I'd want it is that there's some trips that I'm planning that would require a beacon, and I'd rather not rent every day.

However, even with all of that, I'm still only talking about using the beacon maybe 10-20 times over the next few years. Is a beacon in the east overkill? Should I just buy the skis (which would probably get considerably more use)? How many people here have a beacon and use it often?

asland
11-14-2009, 05:41 PM
I have a beacon...

I use it a lot backcountry around east coast and while skiing backcountry and slackcountry out west or europe.

Three things to think about.

1. Do your ski buddies have beacons so they can find you or you find them in the worst case scenario. If you're the only one it really does no good.
2. If you are skiing in high risk areas you should really be trained in how to use your beacon? Ar you willing to take a workshop?
3. Are you willing to buy a shovel and probe in case of worse case scenario - avanlanche? If you can find your buddy and cannot get them out it's no use having a beacon.

asland

Xtremeskiier
11-16-2009, 08:07 PM
I don't have one. For the reason most of my friends i ski with don't so it would't help, also, there usually isn't too high of a large avalanche risk out east here.

tjf67
11-17-2009, 11:09 AM
I got one as a x-mas present from my parents. They are as easy to use as a stud finder.

asland
11-18-2009, 07:15 PM
This may be of interest:

BCA Tracker for $229 at REI starting 11/20
http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175644

zski
11-20-2009, 03:19 PM
if you are going into areas in the BC backcountry its really not an option you must have a avy transceiver. I love skis but they won't save your life or your buddies

if you are going cat / heli skiing you need to check with the guides because some of them won't let you use your own - for insurance reasons you must use their transceivers