PDA

View Full Version : Snowmaking began November 16

ComeBackMudPuddles
11-18-2009, 06:59 AM
via WF's Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/#/whiteface?ref=nf):

"Snowmaking began last night and continued into this morning. Temps have now increased and snowmaking has temporarily shut down."

http://photos-b.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs042.snc3/12937_182194023406_511418406_2809512_1121184_n.jpg

-=koLLac=-
11-18-2009, 08:18 AM
I saw this on the WF webpage too. Last night was quite cold too so I'm hoping they continued through the night. Should be the same tonight hopefully...

ComeBackMudPuddles
11-18-2009, 10:25 AM
i'm trying to figure out what those little frozen shapes are....bicknell's thrush that missed the migration?

nyspnypd
11-18-2009, 01:27 PM
here is the latest from accuweather
http://www.accuweather.com/regional-news-story.asp?region=midwestusnews

NPN
11-18-2009, 07:19 PM
i'm trying to figure out what those little frozen shapes are....bicknell's thrush that missed the migration?

No GANGA for them this Winter, but, more importantly, what sticks do you pull out of the quiver for skiing over those little frozen, feathery bastards?

asland
11-19-2009, 09:17 AM
I see on whiteface.com they are still calling for a tentative opening of Friday November 27? From these pics or from someone with inside knowledge is this on the money or overly optimistic?

thanks,

asland

-=koLLac=-
11-19-2009, 09:59 AM
the newest Photo of the Day is showing snow all the way down by the lodge. I may take some rock skis and sample it this weekend.

highpeaksdrifter
11-19-2009, 10:00 AM
I see on whiteface.com they are still calling for a tentative opening of Friday November 27? From these pics or from someone with inside knowledge is this on the money or overly optimistic?

thanks,

asland

Not inside knowledhe, but I'm guessing that something will be open, but nothing like last Tday weekend.

Starting Tday it looks like 24-7 snowmaking temps for awhile.

SKIdds
11-19-2009, 11:25 AM
I'd bet on them getting something open, but I can't imagine much given the forecast temps for the next week. If Accuweather can be relied on this far out, it does look like 24/7 snowmaking temps are possible from the 26th on for a while, with some potential for natural snow. Hey, there have been many years that had a good start with a weak finish, who would argue with a slow start and a strong finish this year?

Xtremeskiier
11-19-2009, 05:48 PM
that would be awsome, even if i gotta wait till the 1st week of december to ski, id rather have that than a january thaw and or march closing.

NPN
11-20-2009, 07:10 PM
I asked this in another thread, and then realized it's more appropriate here.

Anyone know what kind of damage today's rain caused?

-=koLLac=-
11-21-2009, 02:58 PM

Well on Wednesday, I spotted a few patches of snow on Upper Valley on the new webcam. Definitely none of that left at this point. I'd like to see a shot from down below to see if any white stuff is left at least on top of Little Whiteface

tjf67
11-22-2009, 06:50 PM

Its cooked. I dont see any chance of opening this weekend. I would rather see them put there pennies in the piggy bank and come out blazing next week.

Alkyy
11-23-2009, 12:52 PM
yeah, i hiked up on saturday hoping to get a few turns....Got nothing a few patches of snow maybe a foot deep by a few hundred feet long, not looking good for this weekend

Harvey44
11-23-2009, 01:59 PM
...a few patches of snow maybe a foot deep by a few hundred feet long...

(Homer Simpson Voice): "Ummmm a few patches...."

:mrgreen:

CUskibum
11-23-2009, 04:22 PM
From WF's Facebook page...

OK here is the OFFICIAL call on Thanksgiving Weekend...
Today at 2:47pm
Due to unfavorably warm temperatures we will not be open for skiing or riding this Holiday weekend.

We will OPEN for scenic Cloudsplitter Gondola rides Friday 11/27, Saturday 11/28 and Sunday 11/29 9am-3:30pm.
Rates are $17 Adults
$12 Junior/Senior
Groups of 10 or more $10 (this rate also applies to Can Am)
Season Pass Holders – FREE gondi rides

Our Season Pass Office will be open to pick up season passes which I highly recommend

Gar the best tuner in the North Country as well as the universe will be tuning skis and boards in our Tuning Shop....stop by and get your boards ready to go.

Season Pass deadline has also been extended until December 11th.

Our snowmaking team is on standby and is itching to get out there! As soon as temps permit rest assured they will be out there 24/7 hooking us up with some sweet snow on Excelsior, Summit Express, Upper Valley, Lower Valley, and Mixing Bowl.

We have not set a new tentative opening date it will be determined asap.

I already have 2 toll road tele runs in, and so I'll probably end up waiting until December 11. That is probably the day after my last exam, and you can bet I'll be on the hill then, its on my way home...Too bad the SLUzers still have class for another week after that! :D

NPN
11-23-2009, 05:39 PM
It says the same on the website ( sans Gar ).

I'm fully annoyed with Momo Nature; totally soggy Summer, and now this.

Somethin' ain't right.

-=koLLac=-
11-23-2009, 06:50 PM
Somethin' ain't right.

Don't believe the liberal media and their "scientists" - climate change is not real!

asland
11-23-2009, 06:51 PM
Is it ok on this forum to drop a huge f-bomb because I feel one coming on!

asland :(

NPN
11-23-2009, 08:40 PM
Is it ok on this forum to drop a huge f-bomb because I feel one coming on!

asland :(

No, it ain't, but, if misery loves company, I get it.

ComeBackMudPuddles
11-24-2009, 09:27 AM
We will OPEN for scenic Cloudsplitter Gondola rides Friday 11/27, Saturday 11/28 and Sunday 11/29 9am-3:30pm.
Rates are $17 Adults
$12 Junior/Senior

LOL!! what a joke....$17 to ride the gondola thanksgiving weekend??? RIDICULOUS. hmmmm....probably going to be, what, 38 degrees up top with fog and rain?

cool that season pass holders can go for free, but, come on, how about sending some good vibes and letting everyone ride for free? employees are getting paid anyway, so, try to attract lots of people to the mountain, sell some $10 cheeseburgers, and hold a party at the cloudspin lounge. better yet, don't run the lift, save the money on electricity, and use the cash to get a good band to play the lounge.

the weekend is a loss, at least get some positive feelings out of it, get out-of-towners to come back another day.

-=koLLac=-
11-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Rates are $17 Adults
$12 Junior/Senior

LOL!! what a joke....$17 to ride the gondola thanksgiving weekend??? RIDICULOUS. hmmmm....probably going to be, what, 38 degrees up top with fog and rain?

cool that season pass holders can go for free, but, come on, how about sending some good vibes and letting everyone ride for free? employees are getting paid anyway, so, try to attract lots of people to the mountain, sell some $10 cheeseburgers, and hold a party at the cloudspin lounge. better yet, don't run the lift, save the money on electricity, and use the cash to get a good band to play the lounge.

the weekend is a loss, at least get some positive feelings out of it, get out-of-towners to come back another day.

I hear you on the party idea. I'd drive down from Plattsburgh to do that.

Besides, season pass holders don't get FREE gondi rides - they paid for a season pass to get gondi rides on what would normally be opening weekend :)