PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for opening day terrain

mattchuck2
11-20-2009, 04:59 PM
What do you think they'll have open on opening day?

Lbtchnlgs
11-20-2009, 05:40 PM
As Gore has promised to be open the day after Thanksgiving - And promoted it with a sweet graphic:

http://www.goremountain.com/admin/db/event_images/Partay.jpg

- what are your predictions for the amount of terrain they'll have open?

As for me, looking at the forecast for the next few days, I'm finding it hard to be optimistic about the amount of terrain. Based on no inside knowledge whatsoever, I predict that the double chair will be open to the midstation, the only trail open will be Jamboree, and the "terrain park elements" will consist of one rail and the training box and will be placed on the poma lift hill (but the poma won't be running).

Anything more than this, and I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Also, I noticed on the special webpage (http://www.goremountain.com/mountain/moreinfo.cfm?id=260) dedicated to opening day, that there will be $1 off Bud Light Drafts in the Lodge. Woohoo!!!!! :roll:

Didn't think of that because of the low elevation, but makes sense if they're trying to make it a 'party' scene. Unfortunately I'll be truckin' out to buffalo for the weekend so regardless I wont be there to see it.

Wonder how WF is doing

Lbtchnlgs
11-22-2009, 08:44 PM
Just found out I'll be able to make it for a few runs on opening day :D

fujative.
11-22-2009, 09:27 PM
Just found out I'll be able to make it for a few runs on opening day :D

Haha I'd be more than surprised if we could even get a few runs in :roll:

Harvey44
11-22-2009, 10:19 PM
I predict Tannery will be open.

Jackalope
11-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Sunday afternoon , aside from a couple very small patches, there was no snow at all anywhere at Gore. Guns were sitting in grass, not hooked up. No snow at all on Topridge. I couldn't see the top of the mountain due to the clouds, but historically the top has always opened after the lower runs, and I saw no snow on any of the lower runs. Given the forecast for continued moderate temperatures, I seriously doubt there will be any skiing this coming weekend at Gore.

Snowballs
11-22-2009, 10:43 PM
I predict Tannery will be open.

lol. yea, but $1 off Bud Lights....what are they thinkin? do they want everyone to stay home? discounted weasel water is still weasel water, imo.

I'ld rather hang with Eminem than drink Bud Lights......" I like good _____ and I like good ______!"

nyspnypd
11-22-2009, 10:46 PM
Looking at weather forcast and current snowmaking progress I am saying nothing will be open for black Friday unfortunately from what it is looking like they can start to run the guns 24/7 on black Friday on I say the following weekend they will have something open.

Lbtchnlgs
11-23-2009, 07:22 AM
oh, yeah. :oops:

adkskier
11-23-2009, 07:28 AM
The half pipe in the Ski Bowl will be open with premo conditions. Predicted coverage is 3-5" of loose packed straw.

fujative.
11-23-2009, 07:06 PM
The half pipe in the Ski Bowl will be open with premo conditions. Predicted coverage is 3-5" of loose packed straw.
:lol:

My guess is the patio, scenic gondola rides, and maybe a few cop cruizers for when a riot breaks out.

A bunch of people from my ski team were talking about how excited they are for Friday.. I laughed at them.
I still think I'm gonna head up with my sticks to meet up with some people I haven't seen since last season.

I:)skiing
11-24-2009, 12:04 AM
Me and my son will also be there.......

My predictions.

Gore will not be open. If I try to climb or hike with my son to ski whereever there is snow....100yds would be fine for him, they will shut us down.

I'm sad.....cause 2 weeks ago, it looked good...and the "blowing snow" and "Web cams" idea got me amped. I now offically blame that thread.

x10003q
11-25-2009, 10:02 AM
The "new" Gore web site snow report says no skiing on Fri and Sat.

Denison
11-25-2009, 10:22 AM
wow, they do have a new website!

is Mark behind this one too?

Lbtchnlgs
11-25-2009, 12:18 PM

The pink really sets it off...

The top banner looks like a Barbie adventure toy box

nyspnypd
11-25-2009, 03:10 PM

The pink really sets it off...

The top banner looks like a Barbie adventure toy box

LOL yeah I don't like the top banner to much or the phrase.

Denison
11-25-2009, 03:56 PM
yeah, I'm not eager to be "loved back" by the mountain, just making snow when weather allows would be fine

Harvey44
11-28-2009, 08:58 PM
yeah, I'm not eager to be "loved back" by the mountain, just making snow when weather allows would be fine

Chuckle.

Not sure how they are going to get much done tonight. NWS has lows at the summit around 28 degrees. I'm seeing readings in the upper 30s right now in town.

Did anyone get to the mountain Friday?

adkskier
11-28-2009, 09:26 PM
"Not too cold" is what the snow maker reported a few minutes ago. probably blowing more fog than snow.

Denison
11-28-2009, 09:37 PM
Did anyone get to the mountain Friday?

Ready to blow:

http://s2.postimage.org/fLNsr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=TsfLNsr)

New grooming machine:

http://s3.postimage.org/1xvTh9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=Pq1xvTh9)

Pictures are from Saturday, mountain was empty

I:)skiing
11-30-2009, 01:40 AM
I was there Friday around 9:30a. Totally forgot about opening day since we knew we would not be skiing. As soon as my wife mentioned it, I grabbed the kids and set out. That....was the most excitment we would have.

2 miles of chain greated us as we drove the entire lot to park in the "gold" lot. Front row....but still way back from where I could have parked had they taken the chains down. Not sure why the set the Pay Lot way to the left....I might have thought it would be right in front of the lodge. I new the shack was over wehre it is....way left. But felt they were just moving it around.

We get out of the car...a van pulls up. The driver is GREAT....but obvioulsy did not have much to do. Two kids under 4 and you do not turn down a bus ride. So we rode 100 feet.....said he tought there might be food in the Lincoln Lodge. We did not see it. Went to the lodge...shopped in the newly revised store...very professionally done. The lodge feels the same, but looks better and way more tables.....I think, cant remember how many there were before now that I saw the new ones. They put the exterior deck tables on a 45degree angle..... Ok. Maybe it makes the view better for everyone.

10 guys hiked up a bit to what appeared to be a rainbow slide....no snow. A skier sucessfully went down..but when he hit dirt....over. A snowboarder climbed up....did some 180s on top then crawled back down. The end. Visited the new groomer with the boy.

Negatives: You have a gondi running..they were charging 13/pp to ride it unless you had a seaons pass. CRAZY...Honestly IF...60 people paid to ride the gondi I would think that is a huge number. So for 700 bucks Gore missed a GREAT marketing idea. Stick out the sign...free rides, and then try to hype your mountain. One ad must cost over this amount. I am not cheep or jeleous about having to pay (I did not) to ride the gondi....just upset that a mountain that spends (I assume) thousands on marketing...missed this opportunity. Maybe its against the law to let folks ride free...if thats the case..I will give them a break. Otherwise, bad move.

It was cold and windy at elevation for my 2 yo. With that...and absolutely nothing keeping us there..we signed out. Next stop...Tupper Lake to see what their PARTAY was like.