PDA

View Full Version : Heater poll

skigolfhunt
03-01-2006, 11:30 AM
any opinions?

Tsavolion
03-01-2006, 11:35 AM
i dont even know what they are.

i do think those new walkie things that you stick on the bottom of boots are very stupid though

SKIdds
03-01-2006, 11:53 AM
I forget whether they were Atomic or Technica, but years ago my brother had a pair of their performance boots with the built in heater. Didn't work worth a !@#$%.

I'm not sure you'll find any serious skier using the after market heated insoles, or stuff like that. How good can the fit really be? Not sure I'm down with any "expert" that values toasty comfort over good fit.........and I'll be darned if I'm gonna raise my kids to be the kind of sissys who'd use such things in the future :shock: .

highpeaksdrifter
03-01-2006, 01:13 PM
I forget whether they were Atomic or Technica, but years ago my brother had a pair of their performance boots with the built in heater. Didn't work worth a !@#$%.

I'm not sure you'll find any serious skier using the after market heated insoles, or stuff like that. How good can the fit really be? Not sure I'm down with any "expert" that values toasty comfort over good fit.........and I'll be darned if I'm gonna raise my kids to be the kind of sissys who'd use such things in the future :shock: .

I've never had them and would be afraid the added heat would pack out the liner more, not to mention the unnatural volume taken up in the boot by the heater apparatus.

skigolfhunt
03-01-2006, 01:20 PM
i dont even know what they are.

i do think those new walkie things that you stick on the bottom of boots are very stupid though

They're packs that attach to the back of ski boots ( I think batttery operated) that plug to a heater wire in the boot.

I agree about the walkie thing, they are dumb. Who'd want to lug them things around.

kcyanks1
03-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I don't have them, but I think they are viable. Maybe some day I won't be able to withstand the cold anymore and will make the swtich, but not for now. I don't think they affect the fit too much since I think the pad is very thin, and it might even go under the normal boot pad (someone who has them correct me if I'm wrong).

Faceplant
03-02-2006, 05:30 PM
Never tried 'em. Toe heaters do just fine when I need them.

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-03-2006, 04:17 PM
Why would boot warmers be "poser equipment"? I think whichever accessories keep you warm and happy while on the mtn are great additions to your equipment arsenal...
Saying boot warmers are poser equipment is like saying helmets are for pussies.
Ive had a pair of boot warmers before, the battery operated ones that strap to the boot. They were great for those 45 minute rides to the summit before the gondola was installed. If you get cold toes easily they are an excellent investment... and they dont make you a poser!
True poser equipment:
Palmer honeycomb core snowboards
stickers

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-03-2006, 04:42 PM

I've never had them and would be afraid the added heat would pack out the liner more, not to mention the unnatural volume taken up in the boot by the heater apparatus.

I had a nice pair a few years back, they are as thin as a credit card, and they mount with glue to the bottom of your insole. You can mount them to your orthotics, or the regular insoles... Then you drill a small hole in the liner and fish the wire through the hole and up to the battery pack which is mounted on the boot via double sided tape or a neoprene strap (in case you use them in other boots as well). They only heat up to 88 degrees, so it does not pack out the liner. The one problem i had with them is that the battery life sucked, but i heard that the newer ones run on 4 AAA batteries and last for about 36 hrs. I was apprehensive about them too, but once you try em you will love em!

SKIdds
03-03-2006, 05:00 PM
Yeah, the problem with my brother's boots wasn't the heat (they heated ok), it just didn't last.

Personally, I think a tight fit (albeit one that doesn't compromise circulation) is crucial in a ski boot. I still haven't gotten over my racing days rule of thumb (we're only talking HS racing here, from just a **cough** couple **cough** years ago, poser that I am ;)) that your ski boots should be a size smaller (at least) than your street shoe. So for me there isn't a lot of extra room, even for a credit card.

I don't think they are poser equipment......mainly beacuse I doubt too many really good technical skiers are using the things (no judgement of those that DO use them intended 8) ). I suppose they are nice if you need them, but I've never needed them.....not even on those days at Whiteface when the mercury doesn't climb above 0 (farenheit).

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-03-2006, 05:10 PM
Yeah, the problem with my brother's boots wasn't the heat (they heated ok), it just didn't last.

Personally, I think a tight fit (albeit one that doesn't compromise circulation) is crucial in a ski boot. I still haven't gotten over my racing days rule of thumb (we're only talking HS racing here, from just a **cough** couple **cough** years ago, poser that I am ;)) that your ski boots should be a size smaller (at least) than your street shoe. So for me there isn't a lot of extra room, even for a credit card.

I don't think they are poser equipment......mainly beacuse I doubt too many really good technical skiers are using the things (no judgement of those that DO use them intended 8) ). I suppose they are nice if you need them, but I've never needed them.....not even on those days at Whiteface when the mercury doesn't climb above 0 (farenheit).

I hear ya Skidds, I never really needed them around her either... Although they came in real handy when we went to AK... Thanks to the Gondola I hardly ever get cold anymore... but i assure you, even in super tight boots you wouldnt even notice them... they are really that thin.