PDA

View Full Version : Will Facebook page discussions force decline of forum?

Denison
11-30-2009, 05:05 PM
Well, lately (last week, today) I check Gore's Facebook page and there seem to be discussion going on parallel to what we have here in "Gold Parking" thread. Among differences in discussion style: Gore representative is actually responding. They also moderate(delete) some messages but this is different story.

What do you think, are we done here? Will Facebook discussion take over?

Disclaimer: I once had Facebook profile but deactivated it and have no intention to renew.

mattchuck2
11-30-2009, 05:29 PM
I don't think so . . .

Lbtchnlgs
11-30-2009, 06:12 PM
I don't think it will have an effect on the forum.. I like the fact that issues that should be addressed are being brought up on Facebook, only because they cannot turn a blind eye to that.

On this forum we only reach out to 20 people, it's the masses on facebook

Snowballs
11-30-2009, 07:26 PM
Facebook is great for chatting, but not as useful for forwarding good comments from our skiers and riders to decision makers.

Sounds like their response to the before noted examples of Gore deleting messages. They don't want postings that are critical of Gore's actions on it's very own Facebook page, especially if those postings are true.

I think exposure works both ways Gore, not just the cheerleading. People should keep posting on Facebook about what they don't like or do like about the Mtn.

Spongeworthy
11-30-2009, 07:33 PM
What do you think, are we done here? Will Facebook discussion take over?No way! I cherish my anonymity :lol:

Facebook is all over the place. This forum is FOCUSED!

Harvey44
11-30-2009, 11:40 PM
Well, lately (last week, today) I check Gore's Facebook page ... What do you think, are we done here? Will Facebook discussion take over?
I don't. The two "forums" are different. And they both serve a purpose. I think they may even feed each other.

I like the community here better. .... The people who post here are pretty hardcore skiers. The give frank and honest opinions, they're backed up with local knowledge, or they're otherwise pretty well informed.
100% total agreement on this.

You'd be surprised at how many people this forum reaches. I have a pretty good relationship with the Admin at FTO and he tells me that on First Tracks the lurker-to-poster ratio is over 30-to-1. My experience with Harvey Road is similar... hundreds of visits but only a few comments a day.

I think exposure works both ways Gore, not just the cheerleading. People should keep posting on Facebook about what they don't like or do like about the Mtn.
I also agree with this. Facebook stuff has power because it's a quasi official site.

Our company is in the travel business. All of our client (hotels, resorts) are pushing offers out on Facebook, Twitter etc. But some of our clients don't totally "get it." Facebook is more like PR than advertising. In advertising you pay for absolute control of the message. With PR, there is less out-of-pocket expense, but you don't really have control. You put your best forward and hope for the best.

Over on FTO there is a poster named PR@JayPeak. He's up front about representing the mountain, and he deals with criticism straight up. He's no BS and he is respected.

Facebook is all over the place. This forum is FOCUSED!
Also agree with this 100%. I'm not a big facebook fan. I have an account that I've never used. I think my mom invited me to join her group or whatever and I never answered. :shock:

Life is short and skiing is too important. Too much other stuff over there.

Sorry for the ramble. Kinda wierd that we all agree. Great idea for a thread Denison.

ComeBackMudPuddles
12-01-2009, 09:20 AM
it might not change things for the people already participating in this forum, but i think there's a fair chance that potential first-time posters might first run into the facebook page and stop there, without going the extra mile and locating this forum on the internets.

fujative.
12-12-2009, 10:53 PM
My experience with Harvey Road is similar... hundreds of visits but only a few comments a day.
Haha a lot of that is probably from me. I usually hit it up at least twice a day, sometimes up to five. Never posted though. I'm happy/REALLY surprised blogspot isn't blocked at my school yet. This site is...

Harvey44
12-13-2009, 12:37 AM
....I usually hit it up at least twice a day, sometimes up to five. Never posted though. I'm happy/REALLY surprised blogspot isn't blocked at my school yet. This site is...

Fuje - thanks for the visits. I appreciate all visits, but regulars especially so.

The regulars who post really help me. And their comments definitely impact the direction of the site.

For example, Matty has really helped me nail down some great weather links.

I really want input on how the site functions in it's role. It's basically set up as a Gore decision-making tool. Do I ski at Gore today? Or in my case ... tomorrow.

I'm also trying to make HR useful to Whiteface skiers, but I just know less about Whiteface.

For example ... I had no idea Whiteface could pull 9 - 13" out of that awesome lake effect event. I need to ski Whiteface more.

But back to my question ... what links or images am I missing? You could post here or in the comments of this entry:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/12/morning-coffee.html

I realize this is a serious thread hijack ...I'm willing to start another thread.

See ya on the hill tomorrow. Oops today.

fujative.
12-13-2009, 08:30 PM
Fuje - thanks for the visits. I appreciate all visits, but regulars especially so.
But back to my question ... what links or images am I missing? You could post here or in the comments of this entry:

See ya on the hill tomorrow. Oops today.

No problem. Usually I'm just checking the weather or seeing what you have to say. I can't really think of anything you're missing, other than a webcam on top of bear :? :evil:

Harvey44
12-13-2009, 09:06 PM
... Usually I'm just checking the weather or seeing what you have to say. I can't really think of anything you're missing, other than a webcam on top of bear :? :evil:

Fuje hilarious ... I just finished this:

BearCam: The Dream (http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2008/12/bearcam-dream.html)

fujative.
12-13-2009, 10:17 PM
Haha yup, I was just finishing reading what when I posted it.
I bet with the price they paid for the great wall of chain would have covered the assets to get a webcam mounted up.

Snowballs
12-13-2009, 10:43 PM
Haha yup, I was just finishing reading what when I posted it.
I bet with the price they paid for the great wall of chain would have covered the assets to get a webcam mounted up.

Oh yeah. they got several thousand dollars worth of chain there. Plus last week, as i was leaving there was a grumbling Gore employee who was taking down all those lines segmenting the paid lot so they could plow it. take 'em down, put 'em back up. More costs.

I'm surprised more aren't bitchin about the bait and switch BS Gore pulled with the open but not open trails this weekend. how friggin lame is that!

Harvey44
12-13-2009, 11:11 PM
I'm surprised more aren't bitchin about the bait and switch BS Gore pulled with the open but not open trails this weekend

On Friday at work I was trying to decide about coming up. At 8am the Gore website showed 20 trails including Hawkeye and Chatiemac. By noon it was down to 17 trails and I think the number dropped again later in the day.

If you are going to open trails with a foot of natural cover, and then close them as soon as they're beat that's cool. I remember last year scoring some on Uncas like that.

But don't post it on the site if it's just a temporary thing...people may only check once a day and assume the report is good for the day.

This didn't bum me out much because I KNEW you can't open Hawkeye and Chati on 14 inches of snow, for more than a few minutes. So I wasn't EXPECTING more than was open. But some probably were.

IMO: I don't think this was true bait and switch. Just not the best use of the website.

fujative.
12-13-2009, 11:24 PM
Shall we continue the http://static.squidoo.com/resize/squidoo_images/-1/lens1299382_threadjack.jpg or start a new topic? Lots of people were drawn in by the chance of opening the top. Lots of people were disappointed that it didn't open. JERKS!

Harvey44
01-03-2010, 04:53 PM
I hope the Gore/Facebook page survives. It's a way to get mtn info that we never had before.

If you agree, I'd put lots of feedback there - both negative and positive. And I'd be civil.

If you have questions about parking or snowmaking, ask em. Personally I think the better we treat people on the other side, the more we'll get out of it. If the page doesn't increase the dialog between the Mountain and the Faithful, then losing it is no loss.

And if management doesn't really want to hear what their customers think, it's their loss. Successful business ALWAYS want customer feedback, both positive and negative. It's how you stay competitive.

I'm guessing the people who pushed for FB are feeling pressure, and personally I'd hate to see it come down.

If it's a total bitchfest it's bound to go down.

Then we'll have no easy way to be heard.

Denison
01-03-2010, 09:33 PM
:shock:

Snowballs
01-03-2010, 10:09 PM
I hear ya Harv, I really do. But it seems to me, et al, that all Gore is interested in is getting stroked. If you don't say how wonderful they are, they get childish. Well guess what...they're not wonderful.

I truly believe they do not give a rat's patutty for our thoughts, desires or wishes. It's only window dressing. Pratt's published comment " we don't ask for their input " was rather shocking for a public employee. It was more than a poor choice of words. Not only that, but they were rather snotty and unprofessional in their FB responses to posts that were not snotty or mean to Gore. Many were legit comments and legit compliants on Gore's decisions and Gore got pissy. Sure some FB comments by the public were a lil strong, but hardly over the top.

It does no good to be a constant " Yes! man " to people like that, especially when they are public employees. They work for us, not vice versa. Our days of kowtowing to people like that ended at Lexington and Concord.

If they close their FB....Big Whoop! There isn't any info there that is critical. Others can kiss Gore's mogul all they want. I'm not interested. Pratt's comment, along with other things, was a real turning point for me.

Snowballs
01-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Perhaps the opposite is happening. FB seems to be feeding SKIADK! The More Gore'd people get, then more of them show up here. 8)