PDA

View Full Version : Gore: NOmaking Capital of the World!

St. Jerry
01-09-2010, 12:01 PM
Sounds catchy as a bumper sticker, eh?

Snowballs
01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
HEHEHE. LOL. LMFAO.

That was St. Funny!!!

We may have to get some of those as our own Marketing Tool......Ms. Stanton. :wink:

I was also thinking some " MORE GORE'D! " Stickers would be appropriate.

adksara
01-09-2010, 01:40 PM
1/9

Three guns on Headwaters. One-ish pointing towards Rumor.

Two guns on Sunway, trying to keep up with the windblown ice field. A snow fence parallel to the trail on skiers right would make a HUGE difference, catch all that snow.

Some ? guns on Echo, you could see the drifts above the trees.

Some ? guns on Sleeping Bear. I didn't ski down that way so I don't know how many.

The mountain really needs some real snow, snowmaking just can't keep up with the terrain. Showcase, Quicksilver, Lower Sleighride, Upper Cloud, Chatiemac all had some nasty ice areas and some wicked bare rocks.

I know there's lots more to snowmaking that I could ever imagine, and I'd like to say "Thanks" to the guys who are out there in this wicked cold weather dealing with freezing water. They really have a tough job. Especially today - my thermometer on my jacket read -5 for most of the morning at the summit and 5 down below with the wind howling.

Frostillicus
01-09-2010, 03:47 PM
They POUNDED Lies yesterday, last night, and this morning. It was GREAT today. They shut the guns off at around 11 and moved them to Rumor. They are definitely blowing hard on the lower half now.

goreviper
01-09-2010, 06:20 PM
I know there's lots more to snowmaking that I could ever imagine, and I'd like to say "Thanks" to the guys who are out there in this wicked cold weather dealing with freezing water. They really have a tough job. Especially today - my thermometer on my jacket read -5 for most of the morning at the summit and 5 down below with the wind howling.[/quote]

I appreciate the guys that tote the guns and dig out the valves and such. Tough back breaking work. I think they must have been held back by mngt early on. They are starting to show some positive results now. I appreciated their work on Lower Steilhang and Lies today.

adkskier
01-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Today they had to shut down on Rumor. The snow slid and took out a couple of guns. As a result, two hydrants were broken and the only way to stop the flow of water was to shut down the system so that the hydrants could be replaced. This is just part of the risk on this steep trail.

ka2kci
01-10-2010, 07:12 PM
Just in from a very reliable source at the mountain (one step up from the janitor). It seems that one of the two Atlas water pumps has been down this year. They are still waiting for a replacement part from Sweden. That explains a lot. What I don't understand in management's reluctance to be honest with us. It would be easier for me to deal with a real equipment failure than the belief that they simply can't get their act together. Today the mountain skied better. To the snowmakers credit....where they did make snow it was pretty good. Lies is bumped up, Headwaters was sweet, Uncas was good and Showcase on the left hand side held up all day long. I hope that they get the snowmaking situation squared away soon. Otherwise, we'll need a nice dump to keep the mountain from getting scoured off.

Snowballs
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Today they had to shut down on Rumor. The snow slid and took out a couple of guns. As a result, two hydrants were broken and the only way to stop the flow of water was to shut down the system so that the hydrants could be replaced. This is just part of the risk on this steep trail.

A few years ago, a snow maker got injured bad in such a slide that rammed him into something, maybe the pipes. I do applaud those guys. I wouldn't wanna climb all over that mtn, esp at night. Just standing on Rumor would be dangerous.

Sliding down on snow shovels looks fun tho, esp. at Face.

ka2 is right. It's much easier to accept an honest answer to an issue vs a lie......same as the Echo's open/not open thing this past weekend. Even i knew it wouldn't open, but Marketing just had to dangle that carrot.

We'll have to keep watch. Hard to accept anything Gore says anymore without independent verification.

They need to get BR w/Sags opened. Their TV commercials started last week and they all say " Now with snowmaking on BR/Sags. ". They just cannot/should not keep making empty promises, IMO. They will pay for that behavior.

Snowballs
01-10-2010, 07:59 PM
Stuff like this will happen.

http://www.poststar.com/news/local/article_e42cceae-fe33-11de-b09d-001cc4c002e0.html

Powderqueen
01-11-2010, 06:12 PM
First, I'd like to say, there were a lot of great things that happened at Gore this weekend.

My group had a great time, even though we left snowy central NY for the old snow at Gore. We enjoyed the manmade snow, especially on lies and Headwaters. Conditions were very good almost everywhere. Even in the woods, the snow held up quite well. We skied hard for 2 full days and enjoyed every moment, well, except for the moment when I put a Fiver on the bar for a Gore Mtn Brown Ale on tap and the bartended said it wasn't enough. $6.50!! yikes. Just had one. Next time I'll bring my own beer.

One of our friends was a newbie. She got the 2 day $200 deal, which included 3 lessons, rentals and lift tix. She LOVED it. She had semi-private and private lessons and learned how to ski and will likely be a skier (not bad for a 50 yr old woman).

Customer service was excellent all around. Great people up there working and skiing.

So, back to the subject...Snowmaking: I heard talk on the mountain that Gore upgraded their snowmaking system, but did not upgrade their electric to handle the new system. This is why the power went down a few weeks ago, freezing up the system.

If they had upgraded the electric before getting the new snowmaking system, that would not have happened. Shit happens.

The snow surfaces were very good. Not much in the way of glare ice. Snowmaking got quiet Sunday on Rumor, but I heard about that slide. Hope everyone was ok and they get it back up and running again. Three cheers to the snowmakers!!

Snowballs
01-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Pratt & Co have a long, long way to go before they're out of the woods on a very cold night.

Consider,

There's the rest of the main hill they have to blow AND maintain with their NOmaking. Then, there's BR to do NOmaking for. That's a large area. Coming right at them next year, Just around the corner.....

The Ski Bowl expansion! The pipeline trail itself is very long and will need to be widen. There's a fair amount of mileage at the Bowl to snow cover. These all need NOmaking installed. Nobody has said a word, not one word, about more water pumps or air compressors. They appear to plan on using existing ones and just string more pipes. That will mega overload existing capacity .....unless Pratt & Co have been misrepresenting the current NOmaking issues.

Eagle's nest is long and will need to have NOmaking installed and be blown. Pratt said, and Orda made it clear that the Ski Bowl would be the last to Blown. That's not gonna fly with rich people buying expensive Ski in-Ski out properties at the Ski Bowl Village. They may go unsold.

Looking at the Topo map, the lower half of Eagle's Nest appears to have a uphill section on the BR side of that high dollar bridge. Gore insiders I ask about this just replied " I'm not saying nothing." If true, this will absolutely not fly with the Ski in-Ski out Village People one bit. If true, many other people will be PO'ed.

Hence the need for a transportation only lift # 14 in their plans. It would run from the base of Gore to the base of the Ski Bowl and leave skiers with a very long, 25-30 minute ride to a hill's at bottom both ends, no skiing off it. Pratt & Co will never get one dime from the State for this lift. He may say it's an as " demand merits " lift all he wants, but they sought approval for it for a reason. It may very well be needed if the Ski Bowl is not Ski in-Ski out as they promised. That will cause extreme reaction from everybody and will cause the Bowl to flush, Village and all.

The final Redwood Tree on the Camel's back is the State's bankrupt position. Dey ain't gonna have any coin for all Dis and Orda will quickly inhale any crumbs that fall from the table. The funds are supposed to be there for the installation of NOmaking on this project and to install the lift up Lil Gore. BUT these funds could be diverted by ORDA anytime, as Harv noted in his Pratt Splat. They,ORDA, really aren't to keen on this project to begin with or any competion it may bring Placid.

There's alot of heavy issues here hanging by a thread.

I re-present this now cuz it's pertinent to the current issues and we have some newbies who may need to be informed.

x10003q
01-13-2010, 01:38 AM
Snowballs -
You are putting the cart before the horse. Using previous NC history, I would say there is a good chance that 5 years from now only a small % of units are built in the Ski Bowl Village. I wouldn't worry about blowing snow to connect Gore to the Ski Bowl. They have started the shuttle this season. That is your gondola/lift 14. That lift will never be built. ORDA will build a not yet invented monorail/gondola connecting LP to WF before #14 is built at Gore. :lol:

However the triple that was delivered last summer to Gore's parking lot will be built this summer.The ORDA Board tried to shake down the Ski Bowl Village developer last May. When they failed they put the chairlift back on schedule.

The other stuff you mentioned are real problems.

Frostillicus
01-13-2010, 08:56 AM
You all should have seen the snow that West Mountain was blowing last night...

skid one-one
01-13-2010, 09:59 AM
Alot of Nomaking on horizontal surfaces "the most in the northeast"

01-13-2010, 10:02 AM
I should have hit West last night. Stupid work deadlines. Do they still have the business man lunch special 2 hour lift ticket and sandwich?
:(

01-13-2010, 11:40 AM
West Mountain Deals
Rise & Shine Special- Wed. - Fri. (non-holiday) 8:30 - 11 a.m.- 2 hour lift ticket, breakfast sandwich and coffee in our cafeteria. Only $10
Play at Lunch- Mon. - Fri. 11 a.m. - 2 p.m.- 2 hr. lift ticket & lunch (Salad bar or 1/2 sandwich and soup) $16 plus beverage

Snowballs
01-13-2010, 12:04 PM
Monday and Tuesday non holiday nights are just $17 starting at 4 oclock. They don't advertise it. They do have good snow now. DO NOT leave your gear unattended. Lil flockers have sticky fingers. FYI.