PDA

View Full Version : Gore first-timer...

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-03-2006, 03:51 PM
Hey guys, I am heading down to Gore next week and i'd appreciate some local knowledge to make my day on the mtn more fun!
Which is the best high-speed groomer?
How do the terrain parks compare to Whiteface's?
Are those snowshoeing/backcountry areas such as Northwoods and Burnt Ridge skiable? Do you have to hike in?
Which glades are the best to hit?
Favorite trail?

SKIdds
03-03-2006, 04:01 PM
Hmmm.......I wonder if it will take more than a few posts on these forums to get the locals to divulge their fave stashes.....or anything that could be considered a stash at all? ;).

What I need to know, for future reference, is whether or not the locals can be bribed with beer............should I find myself heading into the north country alone so that another opportunity to ski the Slides doesn't slip away.

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Im not looking for the super secret lines, just the everyday favs that are on trail.

And if you come to Whiteface man you can definately bribe me with an UBU and Ill show you all the secret stashes and lines ive discovered in the past 15 years of riding at Whitey. There are a lot more secrets up there than you may think...
keep it real bro.

kcyanks1
03-05-2006, 11:01 AM
I voted for the third option, but only because it was the best of 3 options I wouldn't have taken. I would not go back to the base at the beginning of the day, eliminating Foxlair-Wildair and the Cloud-Twister option. I also would avoid skiing Cloud to midstation because of the long flat part. Instead I would take the Gondola and then either Topridge or Uncas, and get over to the Straight Brook area and do some runs there.

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-05-2006, 05:32 PM
I voted for the third option, but only because it was the best of 3 options I wouldn't have taken. I would not go back to the base at the beginning of the day, eliminating Foxlair-Wildair and the Cloud-Twister option. I also would avoid skiing Cloud to midstation because of the long flat part. Instead I would take the Gondola and then either Topridge or Uncas, and get over to the Straight Brook area and do some runs there.

Thanks for the tips KC, as you could tell im sure i dont ride at Gore much at all. Ill be sure to print your recommendations to bring along with me this week when i ride Gore.

Wa
03-05-2006, 07:33 PM
I generally avoid the bottom and gondola during mid day too, but if you are there early, there are some good runs if you want fast groomers. Get there early enough to be ready to get on the gondola by 8:00 8:15am. Sunway to Quicksilver is a lot of fun before the kids take it over. They are not steep or difficult by any means, but in the am when they are empty and not skied off its a nice warmup high speed run.
By about 9:30 you start seeing the little people blocking your way so by then you should be up to uncas-->straightbrook as kcyanks1 said.

mattchuck2
03-06-2006, 07:33 PM
I had to vote for Foxlair to Wild Air, but like everyone else, I usually take Uncas to the Straightbrook Chair. If you're on a snowboard, you don't want any part of either Cloud or Wood Out (or Wood In for that matter).

Best High speed groomer is Topridge, followed closely by Showcase and Twister.

Park sucks compared to Whiteface (which is quite good). The Gully area has a spine, two small kickers, 25ft tabletop, battleship rail, flat box and a couple of straight rails. Lower Sleighride has a few tables, a long straight rail, and a rainbow box.

Burnt Ridge is usually skiable, but not right now . . . there's not enough snow on the lower mountain. Tahawus Glades, Straightbrook Glades and Darby Woods were open last weekend as far as glades go.

Favorite Trail is . . . . Rumor - especially in the spring.

kcyanks1
03-06-2006, 08:33 PM

Thanks for the tips KC, as you could tell im sure i dont ride at Gore much at all. Ill be sure to print your recommendations to bring along with me this week when i ride Gore.

Your welcome. Enjoy the trip!