PDA

View Full Version : Power outage

ComeBackMudPuddles
01-18-2010, 07:14 AM
WF's Facebook kept apologizing for the power outage....How long did it go on for? Did management make it up to people?

Lbtchnlgs
01-18-2010, 07:20 AM
WF's Facebook kept apologizing for the power outage....How long did it go on for? Did management make it up to people?

from the pictures, looks like mother nature did it for them

andyzee
01-18-2010, 11:09 AM
Didn't time it, but think it lasted about 35-45 minutes

Face4Me
01-18-2010, 09:31 PM
I was stuck on the Summit Quad for about 25-30 minutes before they got it moving again. From what we could see, the Summit Quad was the first chair they restarted. By the time we got to the top, and then finished a VERY leisurely run down to the mid-station lodge, they had just announced that the Gondola and Summit Quad were running and that the other lifts would be running shortly. All in all, it was probably about an hour in total.

The good news was that since it was a nice warm, sunny day, being stuck on the chair wasn't too much of a problem.

I'm a passholder, so I don't know if they were offering up anything to those who had purchased tickets for the day.

highpeaksdrifter
01-19-2010, 09:53 AM
When the power went down I felt sick. I'm thinking heres a perfect day and we won't be able to take advantage of it. I thought WF did a great job getting things going again.

I heard 3 different stories about the reason it happened. I believe basically ice fell onto the transformer on top of Chair 6 and shorted it out. Somehow it effected all the lifts.

Face4Me
01-19-2010, 09:56 AM
When the power went down I felt sick. I'm thinking heres a perfect day and we won't be able to take advantage of it. I thought WF did a great job getting things going again.

I heard 3 different stories about the reason it happened. I believe basically ice fell onto the transformer on top of Chair 6 and shorted it out. Somehow it effected all the lifts.
There were electrical crews working on the transformer on the electrical pole at the top of the Summit Quad yesterday afternoon, so that certainly seems like a good possibility!!!

SKIdds
01-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Management did a good job recovering, although things were a bit chaotic for us. Power went down about 10 am, lifts started turning again about 10:45. We were over at Kids Kampus, having registered the kids ski school shortly before. Over there we were told a power surge caused the problem, later I hear the ice hitting the transformer story, and given the work going on at the top of chair 6 yesterday that seems accurate. So over at the Kampus all the classes start coming out with nothing but the Magic Carpet working. Lots of milling about, lessons on side slipping, balance, etc. Eventually I was told aux power was up, and lifts would be coming back on line, although operating at slower speeds, and the summit quad wouldn't be open. Also was told that classes would get their full time, staying out later for the am session. So off go the kids while I consider asking for a refund for my ticket (slow lifts = long lines, and no summit?) But, given how nice the day was I just went with it and headed off to the main mountain at 11:00. Well, much to our delight the lifts were not operating slow, and once we get to the top of the gondola we see the summit quad is up and running. As my brother said, given all the issues what the skiing lacked in quantity it made up for in quality. Conditions were great, weather was great, and the day ended up being fine. The kids had adequate lesson time in the morning as well.

The holiday weekend seemed to have various issues throughout. Saturday Lower Skyward was closed for no reason I could figure, and after we got one run on Lookout they shut that lift down for a while, again for no reason I could figure. Coverage was great. Sunday had the power issues. Monday, the Lookout Triple didn't open until 9:50, and the Summit Quad didn't open until 10:50. Late to open, but on Lookout I was third chair, and I caught 1st chair on the Summit. Skyward freshly groomed with not a soul in sight on the hill makes for some scrumptious high speed carving.

Face4Me
01-19-2010, 01:15 PM
The holiday weekend seemed to have various issues throughout. Saturday Lower Skyward was closed for no reason I could figure, and after we got one run on Lookout they shut that lift down for a while, again for no reason I could figure. Coverage was great. Sunday had the power issues. Monday, the Lookout Triple didn't open until 9:50, and the Summit Quad didn't open until 10:50. Late to open, but on Lookout I was third chair, and I caught 1st chair on the Summit. Skyward freshly groomed with not a soul in sight on the hill makes for some scrumptious high speed carving.
It had rained a little on Friday, and apparently there was an ice-crust on top of the snow on Lower Skyward. Since they didn't groom it, I guess they felt it wasn't ready to be opened. I saw one guy "poach" it on Saturday, and he didn't seem too happy with his decision.

Lookout closed for a while on Saturday morning so that they could put the fencing back up just below Hickock Hill. They had to remove it so that they could groom. Ski Patrol didn't want people skiing by while they were working on the fence. Same thing on Monday morning as well.

On Monday morning, the Summit Quad was open early in the morning, but they had to close it due to a mechanical problem with the lift. I actually noticed the problem on my second run up before they closed it ... I think there was a problem with one of the rollers on the last tower before the unload point. There was a strange noise coming from that part of the lift. Halfway down, I noticed that there weren't any people on the chair and by the time I got to the bottom, they had stopped it. I asked one of the lifties what was going on and he said there was a maintenance problem that would take about an hour to fix.

On the one hand, it's definitely frustrating to have to deal with these things, but on the other hand, what can you do ... things break!!! As for the fencing delays on Lookout, those you'd have to think could be handled better, in terms of getting the fencing up earlier in the morning, but I guess there are only so many resources available, particularly since they're spending a lot of time and effort getting ready for this week's World Cup events.

All in all, it was a great weekend, and considering how short the lines were, the time lost wasn't too big a deal! At least in all cases, they did get everything reopened pretty quickly.