PDA

View Full Version : Snowmaking

ilovesnow
02-05-2010, 09:33 AM
Anybody have any idea why there not making snow on upper northway and/or cloudspin? kind of annoying in my opinion. Other than that the mountain has been in great shape all season...all considering.

Face4Me
02-05-2010, 02:15 PM
I've been wondering the same thing. The only thing I can guess is that they've decided not to use snowmaking resources to add any new terrain at this point in the season, and reserve it strictly for increasing the base on terrain that's already open.

Denison
02-05-2010, 03:49 PM
Today all the ORDAs snowmaking resources are in Central Park

evantrentful
02-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Ive got to imagine the lack of natural snow has really crippled them. Normally cloudspin has a decent natural base by now and the snowmaking is used to shore it up. Heres to a nice 20in+ storm asap

nyspnypd
02-06-2010, 03:02 PM
Ive got to imagine the lack of natural snow has really crippled them. Normally cloudspin has a decent natural base by now and the snowmaking is used to shore it up. Heres to a nice 20in+ storm asap

Dont want to be the bearer of bad news but according to accuweather they are not expecting large storms the rest of the year for NY they stated we are in a snow drought and they can only say they are eyeballing a Nor'easter very late in the season. Seems like its a great year to be further south go figure :?

GoofyRider
02-06-2010, 05:45 PM
they were blasting snow on upper skyward and the lower part, upper cloudspin, and several trails on little whiteface today.

kerovick
02-08-2010, 11:51 AM
We have plenty of snow down here in PA, your welcome to some if you'd like.

snowman
02-08-2010, 12:07 PM
I have been really impressed with the snowmaking this year. Last weekend was awesome. I don't really miss Northway. I love cloudspin, but think they are doing the right thing taking care of the other trails.

NPN
02-08-2010, 07:37 PM
Upper Northway was scheduled to be blown the week before that nasty Monday rain event.

It was passed on because forecaster's were so sure of the event.

It's still planned to open.

Regardless, considering the way '09-'10 has gone to this point, I don't think anything but huge PRAISE should be showered on Management, and the Snow Tribe.

Yeah, I love UN, and UC, but am WAY happy with the great season I've had so far considering the budget issues, and weather dramas we've all seen going on this year.

Face4Me
02-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I completely agree with the posts above ... the snowmaking at Whiteface has been great this year, particularly when you consider how little help we've been getting from Mother Nature. I was saying to someone on Sunday morning that the Wilmington Trail has been really great the past few weekends. They've been doing an awesome job keeping the snow on it.

I'd love to see Upper Northway and Upper Cloudspin open, however, at this point, it's definitely more important to keep the terrain that's already open in good shape for the rest of the season.

On a side note, I was a little skeptical about the idea of using snowmaking resources to make a public skier-cross trail on Wolf, but after having skied it this weekend, and having seen my kids reactions to it, I must admit that it was probably a good idea!

zski
02-10-2010, 10:16 AM
the last two days there has been no snowmaking posted on the web site and the conditions were perfect to make snow - This may be the end of snowmaking for the season

looks like we will never see northway and access to cloudsplitter glades this year

I do agree that the kids love the skier cross course on wolf so that appears to be a big success. I think most of that snow was pushed there from the WC skier cross course on valley

Face4Me
02-10-2010, 01:14 PM
I noticed the lack of snow-making info on the conditions report. I was hoping it was just a problem with the report! :(

zski
02-10-2010, 05:34 PM
i was at the mt for a few runs at lunch time and they are not blowing and i saw snow makings taking hoses off the mt so it looks like that is the end of snow making - i figured they would at least wait unitl after presidents week

snowman
02-10-2010, 09:02 PM
Doesn't seem like they would be stopping now, maybe just slowing down. We still Empire State Games skier cross and snowboard, pres week and USSA Nationals. I figured they couldn't keep going at the rate they were.

zski
02-11-2010, 09:11 AM
i thiink we need to accept that except for what they need to blow for the nationals we will not see any more snow blown

we can blame gov patterson - we need pataki back. NYC dems are not going to care about us or ORDA

snowman
02-15-2010, 12:13 PM
late in the afternoon on Sunday, the tribe had guns going on Parkway. There are still some guns out, like one at the top of lower Skyward. I heard a couple of rumors this weekend about the snowmaking, but nothing firm.