PDA

View Full Version : Will Eagle's Nest open ?

Snowballs
02-25-2010, 10:18 PM
What do you think? Is this last snow enough that Gore will open Eagle's Nest this weekend? They did say we'ld being skiing it this season. The " 30 inches " of new snow oughta be enough to open it. There's shuttle service also.

Will someone go " fowl ", duck-a-rope and ride to goofy glory as the first one to ride that line? Who's Gonna Be First? :lol:

Somehow, I don't think Gore will open Eagle's Nest at all this year. Too much bad JuJu already.

Pssssst.....pics please!!! :wink:

Danzilla
02-26-2010, 12:19 PM
The upper and lower pipeline and eagles nest ought to be open this weekend. 30 inches of wet snow ought to be enough to groom out. They also have the shuttle running.

Hit them up on the facebook page. maybe peer pressure will get them going;)

Snowballs
02-26-2010, 12:36 PM
Hit them up on the facebook page. maybe peer pressure will get them going;)

OH Yeah! They absolutely love me! Let's see how did Emily put it ?......." My good friend Snowballs " hehehe. Yep, I'm still waiting for that dinner invitation. Likely starve before she calls though. LOL.

I doubt they will open Eagle's Nest this year. I may well be wrong, but I don't think they will. There's a reason for that.

Denison
02-26-2010, 03:20 PM
I ducked the rope on pipeline earlier this season and here it is: there is no Pipeline trail and no Eagle's Nest, it's all in their wild imagination. That "pipeline" road end in 100 ft with dead end

Jeff
02-26-2010, 04:41 PM
Supposed to be open tomorrow according to the website.

Lbtchnlgs
02-26-2010, 05:28 PM
took pipeline on tues. it's a maintenance road, make sure you've got wax on your boards. nice long run tough, a little more grading and it'll be a decent way of getting to BR

Snowballs
02-27-2010, 02:17 PM
It's supposed to be open today. Anybody gonna post an honest review?

Frostillicus
02-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Long and flat and pretty much an old work road. My guess, after looking up to my right while skating, is that Pipeline will be a feed out trail form some NICE North facing glades coming off the ridge.

Snowballs
02-27-2010, 06:59 PM
ok sounds like you went to the Bowl? Did you, or anyone else cross the new bridge and take Eagle's nest to BRQ?

adksara
02-27-2010, 07:35 PM
And why did we want that open?

No, seriously it wasn't that bad. The snow was slow and got stickier as you headed down to the bottom of the BR quad. Yes pipeline is amazingly flat, but I was kind of happy about Eagle's Nest being so narrow and more of a trail than a boulevard. There were some pitches here & there and if the ruts/lumps get groomed out better it's ok to get down to BR.

Cedars even though it is flat as well, is lots faster though than the roundabout way down Pipeline to Eagle's... but if I was finishing the day from the summit, I'd loop down and around and run out on Echo just cause.

markGore
03-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Skied Pipeline, Saturday in the new snow, it was very slow, lots of poleing. I did do a tour down it a few years ago in different snow conditions and remember it skied much faster. Eagle's Nest was nice, good pitch and kind of narrow, reminded me of Otter Slide. Given it's low elevation and south face it will rarely be open unless they put snowmaking on it.

I'm a little confused about the new bridge, if we went over it we did not notice it, perhaps the bridge is for next year from the ski bowl? We did pass by the existing bridge over the creek that i think goes to the bowl.

markGore
03-01-2010, 12:57 PM
Skied Pipeline, Saturday in the new snow, it was very slow, lots of poleing. I did do a tour down it a few years ago in different snow conditions and remember it skied much faster. Eagle's Nest was nice, good pitch and kind of narrow, reminded me of Otter Slide. Given it's low elevation and south face it will rarely be open unless they put snowmaking on it.

I'm a little confused about the new bridge, if we went over it we did not notice it, perhaps the bridge is for next year from the ski bowl? We did pass by the existing bridge over the creek that i think goes to the bowl.

Snowballs
03-01-2010, 02:03 PM

OK. That's the info I needed. If you had went over the new bridge Mark, you would have known it. It's a sizable span with some elevation, relatively speaking. I suspect there's an uphill section from that bridge to BRQ, which is what I was trying to ascertain. Gore had hinted we would be skiing across it this year.

Anyway, apparently you never crossed the Roaring Brook creek. Instead Gore routed skiers away from the bridges and directly over to BRQ. Had you crossed the first bridge, the one you saw, that would take one to the Ski Bowl. Enroute you would intersect Eagle's Nest. It's new bridge would be on your right. Eagle's Nest crosses Roaring Brook on it's way to BRQ. The route they sent you on, from the bridge you saw to The Burnt Ridge section of Eagle's Nest proper, is a work road, not a ski trail per se, at least so far. Roaring Brook creek bisects Eagle's Nest, half on the Ski Bowl side, half on BR side.

Alot hinges on the grade/slope of Eagle's Nest from the Roaring Brook crossing to BRQ. If it is sufficient, then one would think Gore would have us skiing it now and showing us the new high dollar bridge they've been talking up in the Off season. It would be good " advertisement " for the Ski Bowl and it's Village, generating a buzz. If there's an uphill section, then the Ski in/Ski out aspect of the Ski Bowl gets flushed, i.e. nonexistant. That would have big implications for the Ski Bowl Village which is being marketed as Ski in/Ski out. Property values there and indeed sales in general would be in jeopardy. Bad JuJu.

I'll check this out myself. If it's bad, then the vid goes to youtube. If it's good, then yea! for Gore and it's patrons.

Hoser
03-01-2010, 02:41 PM
Ok I am confused. As markGore, I stayed right at the bridge, following the signs to Burnt Ridge. Slope was ok from there down, but rocks and dirt showing at times.

Also agree did not see a new bridge, just the one if you take a sharp left and go to the ski bowl. So the true Eagles Nest trail is across the old bridge, then a right later on, back across a new bridge? Therefore, the slope would be even less? Makes sense if so as it did appear we skied a work road down.

Certainly did not pass a bridge over the creek again. Actually not at all. Hmmmm.

Hoser
03-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Either way, flip a coin on the approach to the base of BRQ. Think Cedars wins (did I just say that?) Agree that this new Eagles Nest and/or work road will be rarely open due to low elevation.

Snowballs
03-01-2010, 02:52 PM
Eagle's Nest is the " return " trail from the Ski Bowl to Burnt Ridge Quad. It starts at the Lil Gore summit directly above the Ski Bowl, descends from there to cross Pipeline trail which at that point is on the Ski Bowl side of Roaring Brook. Eagle's Nest then crosses Roaring Brook via the new bridge and continues over to the Burnt Ridge Quad.

From the sounds of these preliminary posted observations, Ski in/Ski out from the Ski Bowl will be lame at best.

Hoser
03-01-2010, 03:01 PM
If that is the case, and they opened a work road, not Eagles Nest, then it gets worse due to the added mileage.

However, the website states Eagles Nest was open, and can't remember for the life of me if I saw a sign for E.N.

Frostillicus
03-01-2010, 03:53 PM
I thought I saw a sign for "Eagle's Nest" with a rope across it?

Snowballs
03-01-2010, 04:18 PM
:? OK...

1) Pipeline runs from the North Quad to the Ski Bowl.
2) Along the way, Pipeline crosses a bridge to the Ski Bowl side of the creek. This is the bridge you guys saw.
3) Eagle's Nest runs from the summit of Lil Gore(Ski Bowl) to Burnt Ridge Quad(Gore).
4) There is also a connecting work road/trail from the Pipeline trail to the Lower end of Eagle's Nest trail. This a the piece you guys skied. It departs Pipeline near the bridge you saw and stays on that Gore side of the creek to reach Lower Eagle's Nest, WHICH is what you skied out to BRQ.

You guys skied only a part of Eagle's Nest. You likely descended Pipeline-work road-lower Eagle's Nest.

Denison
03-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Snowballs, I think you got it exactly right up there ^

I ended up skiing Pipeline three times on Saturday, should have done it once, but ended up there again and again to avoid crowd at double and slow quad.

jimmer
03-01-2010, 06:37 PM
well what ever or how ever u get there,it was open today,,,all the trails on the dark side along with all the trails in the north were open,BUT neither chair was spinning,u had too go pipe line or eagles,,what ever,to burnt ridge,,too get back up,what a friggen joke,,alot of brain stormin went into that 1,and from what i understand it mostly flat,,way to go,,

Snowballs
03-01-2010, 07:53 PM
I saw that.^^^ Wondered how popular it would be. I thought it was odd.

GoofyRider
03-01-2010, 07:55 PM
There is no uphill section after the crossing the new bridge to the BR side on route to the BRQ. It is kinda flat for a bit after crossing the bridge, but definitely not uphill. After the flat spot there's a nice grade down to BRQ.

Also worth noting, on the ski bowl side of the new bridge is a nice little steeper section leading directly onto the bridge. I believe if you just point it from the top of that you can clear the flat area after crossing the bridge. Skiers should be ok, boarders may have to push depending on snow conditions.

I hiked it this fall. Hard to say how it will actually ski, but my best guess would be that it will be fine. Also, snowballs description of the 2 bridges set up is exactly right. I didnt get to hike the section from the old bridge down to eagles nest but it seems to make more sense than crossing the old bridge then the new bridge again to get to BRQ. I also did not hike from the old bridge to the new bridge on the ski bowl side.... maybe THAT has an uphill in it?

Looking up at the ski bowl side from the bridge:
http://s4.postimage.org/IkNW9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVIkNW9)

Here is the sequence from directly after leaving bridge onto the BR side and continuing down to the lift:
http://s4.postimage.org/IkXUJ.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=aVIkXUJ)
http://s3.postimage.org/YEb7A.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=PqYEb7A)
http://s1.postimage.org/eOsB9.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxeOsB9)
http://s1.postimage.org/eOxAr.jpg (http://www.postimage.org/image.php?v=gxeOxAr)

Snowballs
03-01-2010, 08:06 PM
That's great news Goof! We/Gore don't need a bad project. I'll be very happy if the Ski Bowl goes as announced. Crossin fingers.

Snowballs
03-01-2010, 11:47 PM
Thanks for the photo update Goof. Your pretty handy to have around. hehehe.

Glad you joined SkiADK.

Hoser
03-02-2010, 06:57 AM
Now it makes sense. Snowballs your post describes it (the one with the numbers).
From the pictures, on sunday skied the bottom two pictures, and the left side of the third from the bottom. Which is the work road. Got it.

Looks like the true E.N. is the right side of the picture third from the bottom, coming in front the Little Gore summit.

markGore
03-03-2010, 12:56 PM
i think the comments are correct, after the old bridge we were skiing on a work road. Whatever the case from what i remember it was all downhill (no poleing involved) after the bridge and it eventually got a decent grade. The flat parts were at the start of pipeline

Irrespective of the grade on the new bridge, one would have to come to almost a complete stop to go over the old bridge, it is not that wide and perpendicular to the trail.

Snowballs
03-07-2010, 12:39 AM
The steel shown here will create our second bridge over Roaring Brook, and you will ski on it this season in a new route from the base of the North Quad to the base of the Burnt Ridge Quad! - Gore

http://www.goremountain.com/multimedia/popphoto.cfm?photo=20090706125437466%2Ejpg&id=1220

That bridge isn't close to being done. No decking at all and I'm not sure the frame work is even complete. The approach needs work.

Anybody hear why?

There's a fair sized bank on upper Eagle's Nest, right before it crosses the narrow Pipeline trail. Then immediately another bigger one drops down to the new bridge. There's a bit of an edge off that side of Pipeline. So I can see us slowing atop the first bank, to see if anyone's coming down the Pipe, then dropping down, catching some air off the edge of Pipeline and dropping down to the new bridge.

Could be a fun spot. The way it's cut now, you could definitely catch air. If you had a lookout watching for cross traffic, so you could carry some momentum from Upper Eagle's, you could catch some BIG AIR and have a nice downhill landing zone.