PDA

View Full Version : ski instructor

skiguy14
03-08-2010, 09:10 PM
has anybody done it? I've been tossing it around for the last few seasons and my buddys dad suggest i do it. He is one as well. Anybody know what the pay is or any suggestions or their thoughts......

fujative.
03-09-2010, 09:35 AM
Do you need the money to get through the ski season or is it just something you thought would be fun? (I'm assuming you're on the younger side)
If you just thought it'd be fun I say skip it. Don't mix work and play, especially if the only time you get to ski is when you'll be working.

Snowballs
03-09-2010, 10:18 AM
You have to want to do it. Patrol's the same way. Once talked to a guy who thought joining Patrol would be the answer to skiing alot and getting a free season pass. The day I met him, he was lamenting usually being assigned to a mediocre trail, so to speak, and not getting to ski the whole hill. He had joined for a wrong reason.

If one wants to just ski more, they should do what they can to get a season pass.

You have to be ready to deal with people and their kids also. Nowadays there's alot of dinks and that can be a deal changer.

Some people have a real knack for it though. Talked to an Instructor and his young student last weekend. He spends every weekend, Sat & Sat, 6 hrs per day with the 6-7 year old girl. Now he didn't mind it and is well suited for spending his weekend ski time with shortie in tow. They had fun and were telling fun stories. So if you feel the teaching call give it a try.

Spongeworthy
03-09-2010, 10:35 AM
Mountain Host or lifty (but not if you're only there on the weekends) are better ways to get a free pass

Powderqueen
03-09-2010, 02:53 PM
I too thought about teaching and ski patrol, mostly because it was suggested by friends who were either ski instructors or ski patrollers. I decided it was not worth mixing work and pleasure after the first day of Ski Patrol orientation. Last thing I wanted to be doing is dealing with other people's traumas and being limited as to where I could ski in a day.

I became a ski host at a large resort, which was good and bad. Good because I got in a lot of skiing, but bad because I couldn't cherry pick my ski days and had to be out there when I didn't feel like it (boilerplate or raining) because I was on the schedule. Quit after 7 years of wearing the corporate hat..which was another dislike.

Now I just factor in the cost of skiing into my budget. I work full time during the week to pay for it and buy pre-season discounted lift tickets and the early-bird seasons pass at my local hill.

Choosing not to procreate can also give you more time and money to ski.

Use condoms, ski more.

That's my 2 cents.

TomCat
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
I believe that one advantage of being an instructor is that you will also get lessons from the better instructors.

But you probably should talk to someone on the hill to find out what is and is not involved.

tom

Lbtchnlgs
03-09-2010, 07:23 PM
[quote="Powderqueen"

Use condoms, ski more.

That's my 2 cents.[/quote]

priceless

:lol:

fujative.
03-09-2010, 07:27 PM
Use condoms, ski more.

That's my 2 cents.

priceless

x2

Snowballs
03-09-2010, 09:58 PM
Use condoms, ski more.

That's my 2 cents.

priceless

x2

Screw that!

Harvey44
03-09-2010, 10:13 PM
This thread took an interesting turn.

I spent the first 48 years of my life ... well ok I didn't use condoms the WHOLE time, but you know what I mean...

ANYWAY there's fun to be had both ways.

Being a trouble maker (and a teleskier - pretty much the same thing)... I have to stand up for the road less traveled:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2010/03/neve-on-hill-video.html

x10003q
03-09-2010, 11:06 PM
This thread took an interesting turn.

I spent the first 48 years of my life ... well ok I didn't use condoms the WHOLE time, but you know what I mean...

ANYWAY there's fun to be had both ways.

Being a trouble maker (and a teleskier - pretty much the same thing)... I have to stand up for the road less traveled:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2010/03/neve-on-hill-video.html

Plus 2 - worth every cent :D

I:)skiing
03-17-2010, 02:35 PM
I have been teaching 10 yrs. Short in tenure for most instructors I have run into lately. My two cents:

Do not take this job for money--even if you think the money is ok--which likely it is not. Though Gore, being State owned is much better than most other places.

Take the job if you can:

1) miss most power days and not cry about it.
2) work most of the day in your boots, but no skis. Or spent on bear cub.
3) can muster a smile and cheerie tone, on a dime.
4) like to talk on the lift, about the same subjects over and over.
5) talk techie---all of your peers will want to break a turn into 1000 parts.
6) improve on "technically" correct skiing. I put in quotes only because good skiing is had by all who enjoy their time/turns on the hill.

But most importantly if you want to share your gifts of teaching others to enjoy the snow and outdoors as much as you.

If you decide to teach and are hired, you will be well paid in smiles, internal sucessess of your students and comments like..." I wish I had taken a lesson years ago.....skiing is soooooo easy, now its actually fun.." Which is when I smile and interally say....why have you been coming here if it was not fun before. :roll:

Know this as well. 99.9% of your cusotmers are happy to be there and willingly pay for the service. Not many other jobs can say that....kind of like if you worked as a scuba instructor in the Virgin Islands. Its not selling insurance or being a dentist. Boring, sad,unenthusistic and pessimistic people generally stay far away from ski areas.