PDA

View Full Version : orda budget

snowman
03-19-2010, 11:30 AM
http://adirondackdailyenterprise.com/page/content.detail/id/511906.html?nav=5008

1 million less then originally. They are doing a great job with what they have. Hopefully this will work out.

I am trying to think where I would spend more money at ORDA facilities. Any ideas? I might buy more food if I got a passholder discount, but I am not sure that would make more money for ORDA.

asland
03-19-2010, 08:57 PM
I'd probably buy and drink 4X the amount of beer in the cloudsplitter bar if there was better (friendlier and faster) service. 5X more with a pass discount. I'm just trying to do my part. Would this help the mountain?

toofaraway
03-22-2010, 10:13 AM
Agree about the bartender. Slow and nasty.

adkgirl
03-22-2010, 11:40 AM
You have to remember that the food service and the bar are run by Centerplate, so discounts in those areas may increase sales but it is Centerplate that will benefit the most.

Snowballs
03-22-2010, 12:02 PM

Takes forever to OR DA a beer, eh?

Yo, bartender...

Gore recently came out with some very real and tangible discounts for season pass holders.

Frostillicus
03-22-2010, 02:34 PM

Gore recently came out with some very real and tangible discounts for season pass holders.

I'm going to file those discounts under "too little too late", Snowballs.

FWIW- The Centerplate Bartenders at Gore haven't done much to impress me either. They tend to act like they're doing me a big favor when they get around to doing their job.

SKIdds
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Hey, at least the wings at Gore are decent when they finally get them to you. Wish Clouspin had wings.

Snowballs
03-22-2010, 02:58 PM
I hear ya Frost. I'm hoping they'ld become a permanent perk for passholders. They don't do me any good cuz I don't lodge, eat or get my skis tuned there, I do all that at home. I was hoping for others to benefit!

So Frost, do I hear an undertone of " I'm kinda sorta maybe thinking of bailing on Gore " in your post ? It's a malady that's making the rounds. You infected ?

Now we have reports of Centerplate employees at both hills having a Bar-titude. :lol:

You might have to join PDQ in the parking lot for beers. She'ld be hard to catch up with on the hill.

zski
03-22-2010, 04:46 PM
Ted and Jeff should start by cutting their own travel budgets. Jeff went to Europe and Ted went to the Olympics on Orda's dime this past season. Anyone want to bet a beer that these guys flew first class and not coach?

Seems that the organization is pretty top heavy. Any one know what the executives of Orda make - it must be public record.

Without further slashing snow making i can't see how they can save much more money. Except of course eliminating the terrain parks which would be a great idea in my mind.

I'm sure this means that there will be no snow making on Hoyt's and Gore's expansion will be put on hold

Staff training was already cut to an absurd level.

Snowballs
03-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Ted and Jeff should start by cutting their own travel budgets. Jeff went to Europe and Ted went to the Olympics on Orda's dime this past season. Anyone want to bet a beer that these guys flew first class and not coach?

Seems that the organization is pretty top heavy. Any one know what the executives of Orda make - it must be public record.

Applause! Applause!

Oysters and Champaign on the Ausable......while Gore hasn't enough coin for snowmaking.
Trips to Vancouver and Europe......while Hoyt's goes unfinished.
A 25 million dollar Convention Center....while the ski mtns get short changed and this makes long time customers bail.

I'm sure this means that there will be no snow making on Hoyt's and Gore's expansion will be put on hold

Staff training was already cut to an absurd level.

Agreed. The others don't wanna admit this and today Gore denied it, but ORDA will put everything on the table for possible slashing. Mike Pratt foreshadowed this when he and Harv were talking and Pratt said.... funding can be diverted at anytime.

We will prolly have to fight for our Mtns. The million dollar Orda budget reduction figure is all VERY preliminary, from the Gov. "proposed" budget. The final cut could well be much more severe. Keep in mind that our mtns charge as much as private ski areas and thus our ski dollars are adequet to finance our mtns, especially since Gore/Face never had to pay for a mortgage, any improvements or any taxes. That's huge savings! When there's little money for roads, schools, cops etc, the non skiing public will be screaming against tax money going for skiing.

Frostillicus
03-23-2010, 11:38 AM
So Frost, do I hear an undertone of " I'm kinda sorta maybe thinking of bailing on Gore " in your post ? It's a malady that's making the rounds. You infected ?

I am really torn, because I love Gore and Whiteface and I have a lot of friends there and I love the terrain. BUT, the negatives are starting to sway me towards VT after 8 or 9 (can't remember exactly) seasons at Gore/WF. I can live with Gold Parking, management's (perceived?) lack of love for passholders, closed lifts, etc. The complete LACK of snowmaking when we didn't have the natural snow to ski anywhere but the trails is what got my blood boiling, and I've heard every excuse out there as to why they didn't or shouldn't have blown snow. The news from the State Budget is most likely the final nail in the coffin for me. I'd rather stay, but almost feel forced to go. My $ will go further at Killington/Pico and I can live with the longer drive. Sorry to rant about Gore on the WF board, but their futures are intertwined.

I agree with you on the Gore Wings, SKIdds. At least they got those right. The Chatimac Black from ADK Brewery has also been a favorite of mine this year. Do they have that up at WF?

Snowballs
03-24-2010, 12:14 AM
I think that says it for about all of us. Really, right now I don't feel too secure in even buying a G/F pass. Albany is about to implode. Eitherway, there's a very good chance the Season Pass price will now increase substantially and services like snowmaking will decrease. I don't wanna pay even more for even less.

I'm starting to realize Ski Mtns are alot like Women. Every 7 or 8 years I get the itch for a new one.