PDA

View Full Version : weekday closings

Cliff
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
Please forgive me if this has been asked before, but I'd like to know why at the end of the season Gore is closed during the week but WF is not. What gives?
C

I:)skiing
04-05-2010, 12:12 PM
To answer this, we would need to know the number of skier visits WF has at the end of the season, compared to Gore. At Gore, Wed/Thurs were very light last week.

Then...Gore is (as I understand it) profitable, and WF is not. This could be some of that reason.

WF, because of its height, has to be colder. In my experience there is more wind, which makes it colder. Seems like they both blow the same amt of snow. That said, Gore had a lot more snow at the bottom last year than WF. Did not visit WF this spring so I cannot comment.

Might be training/highschool/college programs that require it?

If they were open Mon/Tues last week or this week, I would have gone up earlier or stayed longer. So be it....for what its worth, I was glad to see them open through April 4th this year. Me and the family had a blast. Wont make it for the "last day" Guess pond skimming is out?

fujative.
04-05-2010, 01:26 PM
I think it has to do with the amount of people who go midweek. Gore has a very light midweek crowd, especially during the late season. I'd imagine it's rare to find people who don't have season passes skiing there midweek towards the very end of the season.

Whiteface tends to have heavier midweek crowds, plus they have a bunch of ski academies that go there.