PDA

View Full Version : Uncut trail head from the top of Upper Darby

kcyanks1
12-25-2005, 03:00 PM
For those for whom the subject is not enough, there is the beginning of a trail cut from the top of Upper Darby going down in the direction of headwaters. This was cut either the same time or a year or two after Rumor, and before Lies. Anyone know the full story on this? I've heard a couple different stories - (1) it was the original location of Lies, and was too steep/rocky to cut, and (2) It was "Innuendos" (I had heard at one point that they were going to cut "Rumor," "Lies," and "Innuendos") and was never finished for some reason unrelated to steepness/rockiness (i.e., money, priorities). It looks to me like it would be a nice location for another challenging expert trail that ends on Headwaters at a similar location to Lies. Or perhaps they could thin it out and putting in some (likely extremely challenging) glades. They probably would have room for both another trail and some glades in between the new trail and Rumor or the new trail and Lies, though if it is anywhere near as rocky as Rumor or Lies, they might never have enough snow to open it.

Son of Drifter
12-28-2005, 12:22 PM
For those for whom the subject is not enough, there is the beginning of a trail cut from the top of Upper Darby going down in the direction of headwaters. This was cut either the same time or a year or two after Rumor, and before Lies. Anyone know the full story on this? I've heard a couple different stories - (1) it was the original location of Lies, and was too steep/rocky to cut, and (2) It was "Innuendos" (I had heard at one point that they were going to cut "Rumor," "Lies," and "Innuendos") and was never finished for some reason unrelated to steepness/rockiness (i.e., money, priorities). It looks to me like it would be a nice location for another challenging expert trail that ends on Headwaters at a similar location to Lies. Or perhaps they could thin it out and putting in some (likely extremely challenging) glades. They probably would have room for both another trail and some glades in between the new trail and Rumor or the new trail and Lies, though if it is anywhere near as rocky as Rumor or Lies, they might never have enough snow to open it.

Never noticed it to be honest with you. I'll have to look next time I'm out at Gore.

St. Jerry
01-04-2006, 08:43 AM
They started to cut it but then ran into rocks/cliffs and then discontinued.

mattchuck2
01-04-2006, 07:53 PM
That trail is called "Mistake" by a few people. There may or may not be a steep tight glade in that vicinity

Hugh
01-13-2006, 02:07 PM
yes originally there where going to be 3 runs, rumours, lies and inuendo. I too heard that they discovered a cliff there and gave up on that run.

takeahike46er
01-13-2006, 02:32 PM
yes originally there where going to be 3 runs, rumours, lies and inuendo. I too heard that they discovered a cliff there and gave up on that run.

I have heard this as well. What I don't get is why they would start to cut it in the first place. Wouldn't they survey and tag the trail route first to avoid things like cliffs? Either the rumor is incorrect or person in charge is a dummy.

Hugh
01-13-2006, 02:47 PM
yes well dummy might be closer to the truth but I think honest mistake is fairer. This was part of the first expansion they had done in years ( I think '95 or '96 ) and they clearly learned from their mistakes as they have done a lot of good things since.

takeahike46er
01-13-2006, 02:54 PM
they clearly learned from their mistakes as they have done a lot of good things since.

Totally agree.

mattchuck2
01-13-2006, 03:56 PM
Sweet Avatar 46er!

takeahike46er
01-13-2006, 04:12 PM
Thanks! It is from a batch of pics I took last year. They are here: http://forums.alpinezone.com/modules.php?set_albumName=GoreMountain-3-19-05&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Lbtchnlgs
03-08-2006, 10:02 PM
Im not sure exactly where you are talking about. I do know there are some nice tight lines off lies in the left woods if your on top of the trail, a few little drops. I have a pass and havnt been up much this year but last time i was up i ducked into those woods and a lot of trees were down, big bummer some nice scenery in there is ruined now