PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Whiteface in April?

SKIdds
03-06-2006, 01:32 PM
The good news is the wife wants to get up to Lake Placid again. A stay at the Mirror Lake Inn, lunch at the Cottage for her, some skiing for me, and some skiing for the kids, too. The bad news is she's reluctant to pull our daughter out of school for two days (so we can take advantage of a midweek package) or have her miss her dance team practice. Oh, and I'm too cheap to spend Mirror Lake bucks for a Fri/sat stay.....and no Mirror Lake Inn-y, no Ski-y, if ya know what I mean.

So she's hatch an Easter vacation plan. Going to Lake Placid April 8 - 10.

Of course Mother Nature will determin all, but when does Whiteface usually close, and what kind of trail count do they have on average come the first week or two of April?

highpeaksdrifter
03-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Like you say it depends on the weather. Most years the trail count is very good he first half of April. Three or Four years ago the Slides where open on Easter Sunday and that was an Easter in April.

AdironRider
03-06-2006, 02:30 PM
Depends on the weather and how much more snow we recieve. Last year I rode until the beginning of April. Itll be standard spring skiing for sure, but the summit should be in good shape. Just keep an eye on the conditions report. There isnt a strong base this year from the rediculous thaw in January so well have to wait and see.

Phineas
03-06-2006, 02:31 PM
Best time of year - soft snow and sun - at that point trail count is obsolete!! just do it man!

SKIdds
03-06-2006, 02:44 PM
Yes, I suppose whatever skiing is there in April, short sleeves, sun glasses, and all will beat a day of no skiing, but if I'm gonna go I want to have some real fun for myself. If that means pushing for a March visit so I can be there while most of the glades are still open than I'll have to do what I have to do ;).

Do the woods at Whiteface usually hold their snow pretty well into early April, in a typical year?

I have enjoyed first week of April skiing in the past, but that was in Colorado........on the upper half of 12,000+ ft peaks. Lower mountain sucked, way too slushy and grabby. Soft corn is one thing, mashed potatoes are another.........

tjf67
03-06-2006, 03:11 PM
Yes, I suppose whatever skiing is there in April, short sleeves, sun glasses, and all will beat a day of no skiing, but if I'm gonna go I want to have some real fun for myself. If that means pushing for a March visit so I can be there while most of the glades are still open than I'll have to do what I have to do ;).

Do the woods at Whiteface usually hold their snow pretty well into early April, in a typical year?

I have enjoyed first week of April skiing in the past, but that was in Colorado........on the upper half of 12,000+ ft peaks. Lower mountain sucked, way too slushy and grabby. Soft corn is one thing, mashed potatoes are another.........

I have great thoughts of Whiteface in April. Usually while I am walking down a fairway reminiscing about the season.

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-06-2006, 03:54 PM
It looks like you should have a great ski weekend in april... as they say "in like a lion, out like a lion"... If it stays relatively cool this month, and we recieve our typical snowfall for march, you should have great conditions... plus, april riding at whiteface consists of bluebird skies, corn snow, and cold beer! Come on up and celebrate the spring skiing!

Faceplant
03-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Depends (not what tj wears :wink: )on the weather. Gib the weatherman is worried about a warm spell in a few weeks while Mac the farmer sees lots of snow.

Plan on coming. You can always back out later.

Phineas
03-06-2006, 06:34 PM
[quote="SKIdds"]Do the woods at Whiteface usually hold their snow pretty well into early April, in a typical year?
quote]

WF woods face north and does hold snow but we need some dumps to have any shot at April tree skiing.. From Mid up snow conditions stay corn and there really isn't any reason to ski to base any way. Lots of great skiing in April.. And most the of the tour-ons have packed it in for the season!