PDA

View Full Version : WF Snowmaking Tour, 11/24

Jeff
11-25-2010, 02:58 AM
Got to tour the mountain yesterday with GM Bruce McCulley and other WF personnel for an up-close and behind-the-scenes look at snowmaking operations. I've got a bunch of pics from yesterday here: http://saratogaskier.blogspot.com/2010/11/whiteface-snowmaking-tour-11242010.html. Bruce and Jon Lundin (ORDA PR Coordinator) talked about the plan for Friday. the rest of opening weekend, and more. And of course lots about snowmaking.

11-26-2010, 07:20 AM
Thank you very much for this great post! :D I hadn't realized there was so much technology in snowmaking at WF. I'm looking forward to snowmaking on Hoyt's High in the next few years.

NPN
11-26-2010, 03:12 PM
Agreed on the thanks, but the info given is just the tip of the ICEBERG that is the drama of making snow at Whiteface.

If the skiing/riding public actually knew how intricate a process making snow is at Whiteface year in, and year out, they'd never complain about the daily conditions again.

Bruce M is a snowmaking God!

Harvey44
11-26-2010, 04:53 PM
Agreed on the thanks, but the info given is just the tip of the ICEBERG that is the drama of making snow at Whiteface.

If the skiing/riding public actually knew how intricate a process making snow is at Whiteface year in, and year out, they'd never complain about the daily conditions again.

Bruce M is a snowmaking God!

+1

As I learn more, I am amazed at the number of variables involved. I used to think the variables were water/pumping, compressed air, temperature and money. Add in at a minimum grid management and utility pricing agreements based on peak and non-peak usage for starters. You'd be amazed the percentage of the mtns total budget that is spend compressing air.