PDA

View Full Version : Newbie 2 also seeking advice

bcrum0420
03-07-2006, 10:36 AM
I am coming up to Lake Placid for SnoeDown in March. :( Boo it is supposed to warm up and rain the week before. Anyways I will be riding and skiing at Whiteface for 2 or 3 days but I also want to check out some other resorts while I'm up there. I was thinking about heading up to Jay Peak, for the backcountry and extensive glades, after the festival. Anyone know approximately how long the drive is from Whiteface to Jay Peak. I mapped it and it says about 3 hours, I was just wondering if this seems correct. Also wondering if there are any roads that are closed around Jay Peak during the winter that would make the trip longer. Any other suggestions as to where I should or shouldn't go for some good deep stuff, preferably some backcountry and glades. Thanks can't wait to be back at Whiteface and Lake Placid.

Phineas
03-07-2006, 11:20 AM
we've got plenty of manAmade that will weather the showers AOK and the warmer temps will make for some awesome soft conditions.

This year I'd head over to Sugarbush for tree skiing. It's probably 1:45 minutes from LP. U could ski Mad River Glen as well but Sugarbush be the better option -(snow pack wise). Stowe is just up the road from Sugarbush. I love Jay but it is 4sure 2.5 to 3 hours from WF and they have not been doing as well as usually on snow. They have snow but so does the bush

bcrum0420
03-07-2006, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the input, drive time really doesn't matter hell I'm driving 10 hours to get up there. I just am looking for the best snow. Are the glades at Gore worth the trip? When I mapped Sugarbush and Stowe it said right at 3 hours drive time as well that's why I was thinking about Jay. Jay just looks freaking insane and I'm not sure I can pass it up.

Tsavolion
03-07-2006, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the input, drive time really doesn't matter hell I'm driving 10 hours to get up there. I just am looking for the best snow. Are the glades at Gore worth the trip? When I mapped Sugarbush and Stowe it said right at 3 hours drive time as well that's why I was thinking about Jay. Jay just looks freaking insane and I'm not sure I can pass it up.

jay, sugarbush and mad river glen all just got 20" plus.

dont be mad about the rain. its supposed to rain a bit on friday, but it wont do any damage. we survived an onslaught of rain in january, a few spinkles wont be a big deal. will be awesome spring skiing for snoedown.

Phineas
03-07-2006, 12:42 PM

if drive time is no issue - go to Jay.