PDA

View Full Version : APA to OK Gore, Ski Bowl link

highpeaksdrifter
03-08-2006, 07:53 AM
Article in today's Times Union

http://timesunion.com/AspStories/story.asp?storyID=458272&category=REGIONOTHER&BCCode=HOME&newsdate=3/8/2006

mattchuck2
03-08-2006, 01:56 PM
11,000 foot Gondola Ride!!!!

WOW! I heard 2 High speed Quads, but if they want to put a gondola from the bottom of NCSB to teh top of Gore, I'm all for that.

AdironRider
03-08-2006, 07:30 PM
Frankly, that little place where they have a tubing park doesnt look like its going to open up that much interesting terrain. Couldnt the money be better spent expanding Gore?

Lbtchnlgs
03-08-2006, 10:25 PM
how the heck are they going to cut and easy trail from the gondola to the saddle lodge? but this looks like it may actually happen! sounds good to me!

mattchuck2
03-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Frankly, that little place where they have a tubing park doesnt look like its going to open up that much interesting terrain. Couldnt the money be better spent expanding Gore?

I think the plan is to expand Gore. If they eventually link the two, I don't think there will be mouch rowdy terrain down there, but there is certainly enough pitch for some beginner/lower intermediate terrain, as well as a decent park and pipe. I heard 12 new trails, so they must think they have something going on down there.

kornfein
03-09-2006, 01:32 PM
The article states the gondola will go from the BASE of the Ski bowl to the BASE of Gore. In my mind this is a very very questionable idea. This 11 million dollar transfer lift would only get used in the morning for people who are staying near the bowl. I think the money could be much better spent elsewhere on the mountain

The idea at one point was to put a lift up from the Ski Bowl to Burnt Nob where you could ski down to the bowl or connect up with Twister this seems like a better plan. The terrain on Burnt Nob looked prettty nice with the possibility of a bunch of north facing trails back to the Ski Bowl. I'd assume

As for the begginner trail I believe I read elsewhere that this trail would be to the skiers right of Fairview which is another questionable move. The trail would therefore end in another flat Gore walk. Whatever happened to the plan to connect a trail to Sunway from the Gondola (somewhere below the Wild Air turn off)?

highpeaksdrifter
03-09-2006, 01:45 PM
The article states the gondola will go from the BASE of the Ski bowl to the BASE of Gore. In my mind this is a very very questionable idea. This 11 million dollar transfer lift would only get used in the morning for people who are staying near the bowl. I think the money could be much better spent elsewhere on the mountain

You got that right, putting a gondi there seems nuts.

Son of Drifter
03-09-2006, 02:02 PM

The idea at one point was to put a lift up from the Ski Bowl to Burnt Nob where you could ski down to the bowl or connect up with Twister this seems like a better plan. The terrain on Burnt Nob looked prettty nice with the possibility of a bunch of north facing trails back to the Ski Bowl. I'd assume

As for the begginner trail I believe I read elsewhere that this trail would be to the skiers right of Fairview which is another questionable move. The trail would therefore end in another flat Gore walk. Whatever happened to the plan to connect a trail to Sunway from the Gondola (somewhere below the Wild Air turn off)?

That's the one thing I really can't stand about gore, all the flat spots you have to skate. If I wanted to walk with skis on, I'd do some nordic skiing. :twisted:

Wa
03-12-2006, 01:24 AM
http://www.poststar.com/story.asp?storyid=213877

mattchuck2
03-14-2006, 06:02 PM

Yeah, you're right, I misread the article. Skier's right of Fairview is fine . . . skiers left would kick you out onto the flat part of cloud (which is no fun at all). From Fox Lair to Sunway is doable, but there are some big cliffs in those woods and I don't know if you could cut a trail around all of them. It's probably a better idea than goingwith a green trail from the Fairview side, though.