PDA

View Full Version : Slides R open

skigolfhunt
03-08-2006, 11:35 AM
Web page & phones say the slides are open - no avalanche gear required.

AdironRider
03-08-2006, 11:41 AM
OK now that just sucks. Every single person was complaining yesterday about the beacon crap and now they get rid of it. Either require it at all times or only open them when you dont need it. THis just pisses me off.

highpeaksdrifter
03-08-2006, 11:43 AM
Web page & phones say the slides are open - no avalanche gear required.

Nice, that's 6 days so far this season. I hope it can hold on through the weekend, but I know that's alot of hope.

tjf67
03-08-2006, 11:47 AM
OK now that just sucks. Every single person was complaining yesterday about the beacon crap and now they get rid of it. Either require it at all times or only open them when you dont need it. THis just pisses me off.

Not really if you think about it. The first day they open it up to people with beacons. They go out there and pack it down. After that there is no need until there is a change in the snow pack.
I dont think I am going to get in them this time.

AdironRider
03-08-2006, 11:54 AM
Im just going off of what everyone said to me personally yesterday, including those who went it. From what I was told and could see from afar, there wasnt a need for beacons yesterday. Eh I guess Im just bitter.

tjf67
03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
Im just going off of what everyone said to me personally yesterday, including those who went it. From what I was told and could see from afar, there wasnt a need for beacons yesterday. Eh I guess Im just bitter.

Joing the club. I was born bitter

SKIdds
03-08-2006, 12:03 PM
The wheels are in motion for tomorrow, and hopefully my brother and I will be there and the Slides will be open. Even if not, we'll spend the day in the Cloudsplitter Glades and 10th Mtn Division. Weather forecast isn't ideal, but it looks like the weather is likely to hold off until afternoon.

As for Slides status and the need for avi gear, I have no problem with them changing on the fly. I'm just glad that they have a little more formality to the Slides status with the Bronze/Silver/Gold designations. I hope that is a signal that management is going to be a little more active when it comes to opening/managing them.

Slides don't open until 10:00, so we'll just head to the mountain for first chair and ski until the Slides status is known. If it happens to be Silver we'll just hop in the car and over to Placid to rent some gear. Yeah, that's an hour out of the day, but well worth it to get the required gear to get in there. EMS doesn't open until 10:00 anyway. BTW, they do rent an Avi Safety Kit for $20 a day, including beacon (bring your own AAA batteries), shovel, and probe (no probes available right now).

Hey, if anybody else is going to be sliding and you want to put a face with a name, let me know.

tjf67
03-08-2006, 12:22 PM
I hope the exgamers are up there and get a chance to get into th slides. There opinion will be altered on east coast boarding. Can only be a good thing.

ski_newbie
03-09-2006, 10:25 AM
Never hit the slides during our trip but I chatted with a few instructors who said the requirement for beacons depends on the the conditions so it sounds like it can change daily. The better the chances for an avalanche, the more likely they are to require a beacon. Not sure how that holds up or what the guage is but thought I'd pass along the info.

highpeaksdrifter
03-09-2006, 11:08 AM
They're open again today too. Gold.