PDA

View Full Version : Avatar

highpeaksdrifter
03-08-2006, 01:35 PM
Not too many of our forum members have posted an avatar. It's east to do, just click on profile and go to the bottom, go to upload avatar, browse, pick any pix on your computer or internet and you're all set.

Come on it spruces up the place.

freeheelwilly
03-08-2006, 01:51 PM
how do you shrink an image down to the max of 15kb? All mine are over 500kb

SKIdds
03-08-2006, 01:58 PM
If you have any photo editing software on your machine you can use that to crop and resize the image until it fits. I took the RSN Shot of the Day of the Slides and cropped it until it was below 15 KB. Still didn't work as the file was more than 100 pixels high/wide. I then resized (custom sized) it to 100 pixels x 100 pixels.

Obviously in cropping you will lose some of the image, and when you resize you might lose some clarity, but all in all it worked for me.

highpeaksdrifter
03-08-2006, 02:01 PM
If you have any photo editing software on your machine you can use that to crop and resize the image until it fits.

Bingo, I use Adobe Photo Shop, but there are plenty of free photo editing programs that you can down load from the internet that can do the job.

highpeaksdrifter
03-08-2006, 02:06 PM
I took the RSN Shot of the Day of the Slides and cropped it until it was below 15 KB. Still didn't work as the file was more than 100 pixels high/wide. I then resized (custom sized) it to 100 pixels x 100 pixels.

Obviously in cropping you will lose some of the image, and when you resize you might lose some clarity, but all in all it worked for me.

I don't think you need to crop, (at least I havn't), I just resize the pixels. The picture I took for my avatar wasn't croped at all just resized.

SKIdds
03-08-2006, 02:10 PM
Probably right. I'm no expert, so my first attempt to make the photo fit was cropping. When it was still too big I resized. Resizing from the beginning probably would have been easier/better. Live and learn.........

SKIdds
03-08-2006, 02:17 PM
Yup, just resizing worked. However, by cropping first I was able to focus in on a tighter shot of the image that I wanted. More of the chute, less of the scenic mountains.

highpeaksdrifter
03-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Not too many of our forum members have posted an avatar. It's east to do, just click on profile and go to the bottom, go to upload avatar, browse, pick any pix on your computer or internet and you're all set.

Thanks Skidd, you're the one guy to make an effort to make an old feller happy.

"Did I ask too much
More then alot?
You gave me nothing
Now that's all I got"

Son of Drifter
03-09-2006, 02:07 PM

"Did I ask too much
More then alot?
You gave me nothing
Now that's all I got"

You can lead a horse to water, but I'll be damned if you can make it swim. :twisted:

SKIdds
03-09-2006, 02:53 PM
My pleasure. Hey, here's an idea for you. Can you access profiles with your moderator powers? If so, you go ahead and give everyone an avatar. Make it something they hate and they'll be forced to go in and make their own :twisted: .

highpeaksdrifter
03-09-2006, 03:15 PM
My pleasure. Hey, here's an idea for you. Can you access profiles with your moderator powers? If so, you go ahead and give everyone an avatar. Make it something they hate and they'll be forced to go in and make their own :twisted: .

Ya see it’s kind of a Superman thing. I try not to use my awesome powers to the detriment of normal humans.