PDA

View Full Version : Breaking in new boots

highpeaksdrifter
03-10-2006, 11:00 AM
I’ve been waiting for warmer weather to break my new boots in, so the process starts tomorrow. I have a shoe size 9 and have been skiing a Dobie Pro 130, USA size 8 this season. They’re fine in very cold weather, but in warmer weather or when my feet heat up they expand too much and the last feels a little too wide and the heel retention isn’t as good as I like. So I got the same boot in a USA size 7 about 2 weeks ago. Now the work begins. It’s what I should have done in Oct.

tjf67
03-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I’ve been waiting for warmer weather to break my new boots in, so the process starts tomorrow. I have a shoe size 9 and have been skiing a Dobie Pro 130, USA size 8 this season. They’re fine in very cold weather, but in warmer weather or when my feet heat up they expand too much and the last feels a little too wide and the heel retention isn’t as good as I like. So I got the same boot in a USA size 7 about 2 weeks ago. Now the work begins. It’s what I should have done in Oct.

I feel for you. I like my boots loose. My feet bounce around but I am used to it and learned to ride it.

BTW size seven. Poor Mrs. drifter.

highpeaksdrifter
03-10-2006, 11:13 AM

I feel for you. I like my boots loose. My feet bounce around but I am used to it and learned to ride it.

:lol: Good one :lol: But I said my shoe size is 9.

BTW, you don't like your women like your boots do ya?

tjf67
03-10-2006, 11:23 AM

:lol: Good one :lol: But I said my shoe size is 9.

Back to the boot. If your foot is moving.around is it because the shell is to big or that it not fit properly to the dmensions of your foot. With my boot I know if you get a pad that is thinner in the heel It would stop the motion of the foot.

BTW, you don't like your women like your boots do ya?

highpeaksdrifter
03-10-2006, 12:02 PM
Back to the boot. If your foot is moving.around is it because the shell is to big or that it not fit properly to the dmensions of your foot. With my boot I know if you get a pad that is thinner in the heel It would stop the motion of the foot.

You're right about the shell fit. I have a little more then an inch behind my heel when my foot is in the shell (for sizing) and that's too much for a performance fit.

Duck taping pads to the liner may work for awhile, but they will pack out too and you'll still have too much volume in the boot. Ask SOD about that. He had all sorts of pads inserted, but they packed out.

Most people buy boots too big. There is alot you can do to stretch them out if they have tight spots, but really very little you can do to make a too big boot fit smaller.

I was being lazy when I bought the size 8's. I learned my lesson though, after I ski them through the spring, I'll bring them to a pro fitter to get them alligned, canted and any hot spots taken care of.

03-10-2006, 12:44 PM
The best boot fitter that I have found is in the Village of Tremblant. It's the LaChance shop the guy that fits boots designed boots for Rosssignol for 20 years. He also does most of the cCanadian national ski team. They have some strange machines that heat and bent the boots. LP/ Whiteface needs a good boot fitter. The childeren in town have to be reminded to shell fit the customer. I think you are into S&M to go that small in size especially in a Dobi. Good Luck, your going to need several dirnks in the pub at the end of the day.

tjf67
03-10-2006, 12:51 PM
I got my boots tweaked at the shop up in Jay peak. What this old guy did for 20 bucks was unbelievable. Everyone wanted to cut the lining. I knew that was not the answer. I went in to this guy. Within 20 minutes he had if figured out. I came back the next morning and skiing has been much more comfortable ever since.

highpeaksdrifter
03-10-2006, 01:18 PM
I got my boots tweaked at the shop up in Jay peak. What this old guy did for 20 bucks was unbelievable. Everyone wanted to cut the lining. I knew that was not the answer. I went in to this guy. Within 20 minutes he had if figured out. I came back the next morning and skiing has been much more comfortable ever since.

Do you know what the guy did? What was the problem? I'm not being nosey I just like to learn.

03-10-2006, 01:41 PM
I have a wide foot, size 10. I ski in a Diablo that has a flex of 100. My guy took my boot and placed it on a special machine that applied heat to the forfoot and pressure to spread the boot. The boot has to stay on the machine until it cools. Plastic has memory. He added 1/4 of an inch to the boot. Made a big difference. I also go a custome foot bed made. He charges $60 @ hour canadian for his services unless you buy boots. Worth every penny. After the fitting you ski on them, if they don't fell right he works on them some more at no charge. My friend skis in the same boots as you and he had the same thing done. I could see the difference in his face. He was no longer in as much pain. The review I read on the Dobi was if you buy this boot, buy another to ski in. It's made for racing.
Have Fun!

tjf67
03-10-2006, 02:42 PM

Do you know what the guy did? What was the problem? I'm not being nosey I just like to learn.

Th nobs on the outside of my anckles stick out further than normal. He heated up the plastic and blew out a bubble where my knobs land so the pressure was relieved.
He is the owner of the shop i think its hot dogs. Its the only shop on your way down the mountain toward 100.