PDA

View Full Version : What's the scoop?

SKIdds
03-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Sunday's SBX final cancelled due to "unforseen circumstances"? What's that all about? Poor snow conditions, something else, anybody know?

SKIdds
03-13-2006, 10:21 AM
Ok, did a little more digging. Swedish snowboarder died during a practice run. That is such a shame. Prayers for his family.

Anybody know anything about the circumstances? Saw a picture of the a section of the course and it looked kind of tight, at least compared to what we saw in the Olympics. Saw some guys really go flying out of the Olympic course, and they had a lot more in place in the way of safety fencing than it looks like Whiteface did.

freeheelwilly
03-13-2006, 10:24 AM
Ok, did a little more digging. Swedish snowboarder died during a practice run. That is such a shame. Prayers for his family.

Anybody know anything about the circumstances? Saw a picture of the a section of the course and it looked kind of tight, at least compared to what we saw in the Olympics. Saw some guys really go flying out of the Olympic course, and they had a lot more in place in the way of safety fencing than it looks like Whiteface did.

He didn't fly out of the course. Go here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11796381/) to read more.

SKIdds
03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah, found some more news regarding the incident.

Officials said Johansson landed within the course boundaries and was wearing a helmet. Olympic Regional Development Authority spokesman Sandy Caligiore said he did not hit a tree, a pole or any other obstacle. The course where Johansson crashed, the Boreen Trail, has special snowboardcross features constructed for competition.
Cause of death was apparently multiple internal injuries from the hard landing.

tjf67
03-13-2006, 11:00 AM

He didn't fly out of the course. Go here (http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11796381/) to read more.

Yikes that really is to bad. 80% of fatalities would occur with or without a helmet.

highpeaksdrifter
03-13-2006, 11:05 AM
It was kind of a freak accident. Two frinds of mine saw it happen. The boarders where going through the course one behind the other as is normal in warmups. He went off a jump at a relatively slow speed. When he went behind the jump he was out of my friends view. The next time they saw him he was laying on his back. I'm told he broke vertabre in his back and it went through his aorta. He went in full cardiac arrest. It was a sad day at WF yesterday.

Faceplant
03-14-2006, 04:16 PM
by now you heard about the swedish boarder fatality. I wa working the start and as the news filtered in, the kids got really bummed out (me too). Good call to cancel. That is a tight knit grouop that travels around the world together and you could see they were really having a hard time coping. To try to race would have been very dangerous to them.

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-14-2006, 04:53 PM
As a vetran Boardercross racer, I know the inherant dangers of stepping onto the race course. This accident is a horrible example of what happens when everything goes wrong. Boardercross is a relatively safe sport in comparison of the other types of racing in our sports. I have seen some bad crashes, some worse than the one were talking about... but any crash is scary. My heart and thoughts go out to the family of the racer that passed, and to the race community which has embraced the sport of Boardercross. I just hope this doesnt deter whiteface from holding future boardercross events, both professional and amateur.

intheknow
03-14-2006, 05:20 PM
thanks to all of you who posted your sympathies in here for jonatan johansson of sweden. we had a great day in the pipe on saturday with blue skies and 50 degrees. that was followed by a terrific show saturday night in lake placid with the north mississippi all stars and the quarterpipe comp. we figured that the SBX event sunday was going to cap a perfect weekend. faceplant nailed it....the scene has been very somber since then.