PDA

View Full Version : Top gear choices for Whiteface...

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
Hey guys, how about we give some of our less experienced riders/skiiers a bit of advice on what gear works best up on the mtn...
I dont know much about skiis or tele's... but ill put down my opinion of which boards/boots/and bindings are best for Whitey.
Board(s): I prefer a longer, narrower board for whiteface. With a few extra cm's of length really help you stay in control at high speeds on Whiteface's hardpack and corduroy. A narrower profile allows you to get from toe to heal edge much quicker resulting in much more control.
Bindings: If youre in the market for control, especially at speed, burton's c-60, or P1 carbon are great choices. I own the c-60's and they lock you in soooo tight... paired with a long freeride deck, these things give you the control of a porche! However, if you like some slack in your bindings, or a binding that is more forgiving look elsewhere... try the Cartel, or mission from Burton. These bindings have some slack, are more flexible, and way more forgiving. The P1 carbon is nearly as stiff as the c-60, and Burton also offers the P1 without the carbon stiffining... Great freeride binding.
Boots: Since Whiteface is so steep and stiff, I like to go with a supportive boot, with lock-down lacing and custom molded insoles and liners. I purchased a pair of Burton SL-6's from the 04 season at a great price. These are Burton's top of the line freeride/freestyle boot. They have heat moldable liners, gel ankle pads, and custom made footbeds from Viking Ski Shop. If you want a pair they will cost you $75, but are soooo worth it. Make sure Phil or Jim makes them for you, they do the best job.
Helmet: I think not wearing a helmet at Whiteface, or any mtn for that matter, is like playing roulette. With Whiteface's technical terrain features, rock-hard conditions, and numerous patches of ice, it can be one of the most dangerous places to ski/ride in the northeast. I know i feel much more secure when im riding with my helmet.
Hope this could be helpful and informative for newbies, or individuals coming up for a weekend of riding. The most important thing is to make sure all of your equipment is in good shape and free of damage/defects.
GO OUT AND RIDE!!!

highpeaksdrifter
03-14-2006, 08:03 AM
How about the unofficial official ski of Whiteface’s Host, Safety and Ski patrolls – the Nordica Speedmachine 14. Its stiff, fast, powerful, great edge hold, rebound out of a turn, and all the turn shapes.

Even with that stiff tail they ski well in bumps, they’re nice in trees. Waisted at 67mm they don’t have a lot of float, but S4L was eatin up the Slides with them none the less.

Now if you want an East Coast ski that does everything great then you go with the greatest recreational ski known to man, the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel.

Boots you say? With 8 different series, countless models, 6 different lasts and a variety of flex indexes, Nordica has a boot perfect for everybody.

freeheelwilly
03-14-2006, 08:22 AM
How about the unofficial official ski of Whiteface’s Host, Safety and Ski patrolls – the Nordica Speedmachine 14. Its stiff, fast, powerful, great edge hold, rebound out of a turn, and all the turn shapes.

Even with that stiff tail they ski well in bumps, they’re nice in trees. Waisted at 67mm they don’t have a lot of float, but S4L was eatin up the Slides with them none the less.

Now if you want an East Coast ski that does everything great then you go with the greatest recreational ski known to man, the Nordica Hot Rod Top Fuel.

Boots you say? With 8 different series, countless models, 6 different lasts and a variety of flex indexes, Nordica has a boot perfect for everybody.

Wow - sounds good. know any reps?

tjf67
03-14-2006, 08:44 AM

Any one that can make turns are going to have there own opinion on what skiis work best up there. I would say if a person that does not visit whiteface often is reading this the best thing to do is dress realy warm. Lots of layers and wear face protection. Nothing turns a newby off faster than being cold. Ok maybe size 7 boots when you have a size 9 foot.

Phineas
03-14-2006, 08:51 AM
On the ski side I would recommend a GS/all mountain cruiser. Something on the stiffer side that performs better at a higher rate of speed but has enough beef under foot to handle wet powder and spring mush. I prefer the Stolki Stormrider DP 120/90/108 for mashed and powder days and the Stormrider XL 119/78/104 for groomer racer ready days. This season I am trying out one of the Nordica Hot Rod series and it is quite a nice snappy WF ski - I think it is the Lime. HPD is a good hook for the Nordica

SKIdds
03-14-2006, 09:18 AM
With 8 different series, countless models, 6 different lasts and a variety of flex indexes, Nordica has a boot perfect for everybody.
Yes, but sometimes trying to be all things to all people isn't a good thing. Jack of all, master of none, if you know what I mean.

They may not have a menu like Nordica, but if you can get properly fitted in the right model you won't find a better way to connect your foot to the binding than a Lange boot. They've been successful in filtering their race inspired lineage into performance boots that won't make you work hard all day long like you used to have to do.

I'd have to agree, the most important gear for someone who doesn't ski WF often is proper clothing, worn in layers, including glove liners and face protection.

For those who are moving up in the sport, don't make the mistake of placing a higher value on a good ski over a good boot. You can have the best ski in the world, but if your connection to it sucks than you won't be able to get the ski to deliver on it's promises. So buy a really good pair of boots before you buy a really good pair of skis. My brother is case in point. He's what I'd call an advanced intermediate (one who can get down almost any expert trail so long as there are no moguls) who just hasn't been able to shake the intermediate label and move to the next level. Year before last he did his research and got himself a good pair of skis, but you guessed it........he didn't do anything about his boots. Long story short, he an I have the same size foot so we swapped boots for an afternoon. Best skiing he's ever done......and worst afternoon I think I've ever had.

I know they are a few years old, but I love my K2 Fours. Nothing I can't ski well on them. Groomers, ice, trees, bumps.....only had them in powder once, but they even did ok there.

ski_newbie
03-14-2006, 09:38 AM
Okay, this may seem silly but I'd like recommendations for jackets and gloves/mittens! When I started out last year I bought a Northface jacket (I think its actually a snowboarding jacket though I don't see the difference) and some "waterproof" mitts. The mitts are warm for a while and then get horrible... if I sweat or get any water in them they never dry out and forget trying to wear them 2 days in a row. The jacket keeps me warm most days but isn't very flexible and IS very bulky. Now that I've spent the bucks on boots and skis (Nordica and K2, respectively) I'd like to get comfortable in my clothes!

I'd like a jacket that is warm, relatively water/wind proof, and is easy to wear. Something flexible for colder or warmer conditions would be a plus but I'm thinking most people probably just have a few jackets for that? Generally I stear away from gloves because my fingers get cold in them but if anyone can recommend something good in the way of gloves, mitts, or even those lobster claws I'd appreciate it. There's so much out there I don't know where to start and would rather spend my money building up a couple of good pieces than wasting it on stuff I'll only wear once. Thanks!

tjf67
03-14-2006, 09:50 AM
Okay, this may seem silly but I'd like recommendations for jackets and gloves/mittens! When I started out last year I bought a Northface jacket (I think its actually a snowboarding jacket though I don't see the difference) and some "waterproof" mitts. The mitts are warm for a while and then get horrible... if I sweat or get any water in them they never dry out and forget trying to wear them 2 days in a row. The jacket keeps me warm most days but isn't very flexible and IS very bulky. Now that I've spent the bucks on boots and skis (Nordica and K2, respectively) I'd like to get comfortable in my clothes!

I'd like a jacket that is warm, relatively water/wind proof, and is easy to wear. Something flexible for colder or warmer conditions would be a plus but I'm thinking most people probably just have a few jackets for that? Generally I stear away from gloves because my fingers get cold in them but if anyone can recommend something good in the way of gloves, mitts, or even those lobster claws I'd appreciate it. There's so much out there I don't know where to start and would rather spend my money building up a couple of good pieces than
wasting it on stuff I'll only wear once. Thanks!

By things in layers. Fleece jacket. softshell and a good shell for the top. the top should be gore tex xcr. I buy spring jackets and keep layering them up as the conditions dictate.
Hot chillies in different cuts make for my base layers. XCR gore tex pants with zip up all the way up are the way to go in snow pants. No lining as you can adjust that with the underwears
I am a marmot whore but most of the companies out there have gear just as good.
Buy thing to meet you needs. My softshells have to have a pocket in the upper left side to hold my smokes and other things. Make a statement and follow it up on the mountain.

Gloves I will endosre the Marmot work glove. Its got everything from durable leather to a shammi on the thumb for the goggles. On cold day throw some hand warmers in and you are all set.
Gear is fun to buy but expensive to replace so guard the stuff

SKIdds
03-14-2006, 10:15 AM
The gloves are a tough one. The watreproof label added to most gloves/mittens usually doesn't mean much, in my experience. I've had so many different pairs, and haven't really found one brand to be that much better than another, but others will probably have recommendations. One thing I do recommend looking for is a glove that has a velcro strap that closes around your wrist. That helps to keep anything from entering through the cuff. Other than that, put your gloves over a heater vent each night (forced hot air heat works best ;)) to dry them out, or have a second pair and rotate them. I also use a pair of glove liners for added warmth and to wick moisture away from my hand.

Jackets run the gamut as well. I'd definitely recommend something that is truely waterproof and breathable (emphasis added on breathable), with critical seams sealed. To avoid having a jacket that is too stiff or bulky, avoid the most expensive jackets at the upper end of the technical lines. The high end Columbia Titanium jacket I got a few years ago is great, but for the technical performance it delivers it uses heavier fabrics and a heavy fleece liner. Great features and highly technical jacket, but a little heavy for some perhaps. I've been happy with Columbia, and haven't found North Face to be worth the premium. I've had good experiences with Columbia, EMS, Marker, Obermeyer, and North Face. I think features are more important than brand though (but of course only better brands will have the best features).

So, waterproof with sealed seams if a must. Back to that breathable part. A jacket needs to do more than keep moisture out. It also needs to let moisture from your body get out of the jacket. This is critical to staying warm and dry. So breathable is an absolute must. Beyond that, look for a jacket with proper venting, including pit zips. A removeable hood is nice so you can get rid of the bulk when you don't need it.

Now the most important thing you didn't ask about: Base Layers. Layering is the most important thing when dressing for skiing, and the proper fabrics make a big difference.

The best jacket will do you no good if you are wearing cotton thermals/turtlenecks that hold your sweat next to your body. You need proper base layers with wicking ability that will draw moisture away from your body toward the jacket so some of that moisture can escape. To achieve this you need base layers (thermals) and turtlenecks made of polypropylene (or some other material that will wick moisture away - but I swear by my polyproylene base layers). Granted, even a breathable jacket will not get all the moisture out, but with the right layers you can be sure to keep yourself dry....and warm.....by keeping the moisture away from your body.

Even on a blue sky day, if you were to feel the shell of my jacket (particularly the inside) it will be quite wet from sweat at the end of the day. However, the base layers up against my body will be dry as a bone. The wicking property of the polyproylene moves that moisture away from me and toward the jacket. That is crucial, because once your body gets wet you are sure to get cold.

SKIdds
03-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Anybody else remove the liners from their boots each night to dry them out?

Of all the people I've skied with, nobody else does this. Listen, I'm not one prone to excessive sweating, but even on a dry day my gear is wet on the inside. Without removing the liners from your boots, there is no way they will dry out overnight. I just can't imagine putting on a wet boot in the am.

highpeaksdrifter
03-14-2006, 10:48 AM
Yes, but sometimes trying to be all things to all people isn't a good thing. Jack of all, master of none, if you know what I mean..

You speak with forked tounge. :wink: I agree Lange makes a great boot if you have the foot for it, but if you're inferring that Nordica makes inferrior ones with your "master of none" take you have an opinion that most people who know what they're talking about don't share.

I know they are a few years old, but I love my K2 Fours. Nothing I can't ski well on them. Groomers, ice, trees, bumps.....only had them in powder once, but they even did ok there.

A few? I think they came out around the same year as the yo-yo. :wink: Seriously, if you ski alot and keep them tuned I'm supprised you have an edge left on them. K2 came out with those 3 or 4 years before the K2 Merlin took their spot in K2's lineup.

highpeaksdrifter
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
Without removing the liners from your boots, there is no way they will dry out overnight. I just can't imagine putting on a wet boot in the am.

I got a portabel boot dryer for $20. Plug it in, takes about an hour.

SKIdds
03-14-2006, 11:28 AM
but if you're inferring that Nordica makes inferrior ones......
I do think Lange makes a better boot, not that Nordica doesn't make pretty darn good boots :D . If Lange is the master, Nordica plays a pretty darned good second fiddle......but it is still second fiddle :twisted: ;). Of course that is just one man's opinion and we are splitting hairs, as you know. And yes, Langes aren't for everyone, hence the "if you can get properly fitted" part.

As for those Fours, well......I'm a sucker for a good old stand by, and I don't ski nearly as often as I'd like so the tuning thing isn't an issue. I got my pair the year the Merlin came out, seeing as the Fours were a boat load cheaper and not very much different. Hard to improve on a good thing, you know. I'll be due for new skis soon I suppose, but like they say, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I've skied on a few other boards since I got mine, and haven't been inspired to run out and buy something new. Yeah, yeah, yeah....I may not know what I'm missing, but there isn't anywhere on the mountian I won't keep up with just about anyone 8) .

SKIdds
03-14-2006, 11:33 AM
Without removing the liners from your boots, there is no way they will dry out overnight. I just can't imagine putting on a wet boot in the am.

Sorry, I should have specified that for those too cheap to spend $20, without removing the liner, etc., etc...........;).

Tsavolion
03-14-2006, 01:47 PM

Sorry, I should have specified that for those too cheap to spend $20, without removing the liner, etc., etc...........;).

just stick them in front of a heater or heat source...you have that dont you? just dont stick them directly on the heater, they melt..ask phineas

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-14-2006, 01:56 PM

Any one that can make turns are going to have there own opinion on what skiis work best up there. I would say if a person that does not visit whiteface often is reading this the best thing to do is dress realy warm. Lots of layers and wear face protection. Nothing turns a newby off faster than being cold. Ok maybe size 7 boots when you have a size 9 foot.

Layering is definately crucial at most times at Whiteface. Wearing the proper layers insulates your core as well as provides protection to your extremeties (hands, feet, face, nose, etc.) For a midwinter day at whiteface I start with a base layer of underarmour... some people love it (like me), and others think its a gimmick. Personally, i feel that the underarmour keeps my skin dry and wicks away the sweat i create during riding. It keeps my skin comfortably cool, not hot and clammy as some poly underwear can feel. After the base layer i usuallylayer one or two lawers of polartec fleece on my upper body. After these layers come the protective layers of my outerwear. So, if I get hot i can swap out a layer of fleece depending on my core temperature. Remember that proper insulating of your core will also benefit your extremeties. As far as my lower-body I usually just wear my underarmour layer and then my pants. I dont need an extra layer on my legs because my core is well insulated. This in turn supplies my legs and feet with warmer blood to keep them warm and loose. Some people wear a fleece layer on the bottom, but i find i dont need this unless its well below zero. I often wear a pair of b ball shorts underneath when its real cold, or if im gonna be taking the chance of smashin my butt, like in the park. I like to wear a thinner, less bukly, poly ski sock. Ive found that your boots stay much warmer if they arent jammed up with thick thick socks. For my hands I almost always wear gloves. For real cold conditions one should think about mittens if gloves just arent cuttin it. Mittens allow your entire hand to share the warmth of the mitten with all the fingers together. Personally, mittens make my hands sweat too much and in turn arent as warm as a good pair of gloves. As far as face protection goes its important to try a few different methods of protection. I cant stand anything touching my chin and face, and i dont care for the way fleece neck warmers get clammy after you breathe on them a bit. I look for outerwear jackets with a high neck cuff and an attached hood. This allows me to give my face and neck some protection from the cold, while allowing my head and neck to move independently from the jacket. There are scores of different styles of neck/face warmers/protection. Go to your local shop and try em all out and see which works best for you. However way you keep warm on the mtn is your thing, and do whatever works for you...

Tsavolion
03-14-2006, 02:41 PM

Layering is definately crucial at most times at Whiteface. Wearing the proper layers insulates your core as well as provides protection to your extremeties (hands, feet, face, nose, etc.) For a midwinter day at whiteface I start with a base layer of underarmour... some people love it (like me), and others think its a gimmick. Personally, i feel that the underarmour keeps my skin dry and wicks away the sweat i create during riding. It keeps my skin comfortably cool, not hot and clammy as some poly underwear can feel. After the base layer i usuallylayer one or two lawers of polartec fleece on my upper body. After these layers come the protective layers of my outerwear. So, if I get hot i can swap out a layer of fleece depending on my core temperature. Remember that proper insulating of your core will also benefit your extremeties. As far as my lower-body I usually just wear my underarmour layer and then my pants. I dont need an extra layer on my legs because my core is well insulated. This in turn supplies my legs and feet with warmer blood to keep them warm and loose. Some people wear a fleece layer on the bottom, but i find i dont need this unless its well below zero. I often wear a pair of b ball shorts underneath when its real cold, or if im gonna be taking the chance of smashin my butt, like in the park. I like to wear a thinner, less bukly, poly ski sock. Ive found that your boots stay much warmer if they arent jammed up with thick thick socks. For my hands I almost always wear gloves. For real cold conditions one should think about mittens if gloves just arent cuttin it. Mittens allow your entire hand to share the warmth of the mitten with all the fingers together. Personally, mittens make my hands sweat too much and in turn arent as warm as a good pair of gloves. As far as face protection goes its important to try a few different methods of protection. I cant stand anything touching my chin and face, and i dont care for the way fleece neck warmers get clammy after you breathe on them a bit. I look for outerwear jackets with a high neck cuff and an attached hood. This allows me to give my face and neck some protection from the cold, while allowing my head and neck to move independently from the jacket. There are scores of different styles of neck/face warmers/protection. Go to your local shop and try em all out and see which works best for you. However way you keep warm on the mtn is your thing, and do whatever works for you...

wow - you must have OCD