PDA

View Full Version : Staying safe on the mountain

FCBHOLESHOT13
03-14-2006, 05:23 PM
A couple of things that can make your time on the mountain a bit safer for you and yours...
-Helmet- I cannot stress the importance of a high-quality, proper fitting helmet. A few years back, when i was 20, I suffered a severe crash and was knocked unconscious, WITH A HELMET ON. The ski patrollers that took care of me said that if I had not been wearing the helmet I would have died or been in diapers for the rest of my life. Everyone on the mountain, begginner or expert, should be rockin a helmet.
-2 way radios- If you have a large group, or are all new to the mountain you are riding, you should consider purchasing a few sets of two-way radios to keep in touch with the members of your group, and in emergency cases the ski patrol. It is important to know how to use your radios very well before you get out on the mountain and are using them. Check with the patrol services and see if they have a certain channel you can use to get in touch with patrol in an emergency. They can also save you time when trying to get your group back together to break for lunch, go home, or keep tabs on the kiddies.
-cell phone- I know that it is a faux-pas to being your cell on the mtn with you, but in the event of a emergency you can call 911 and get help fast on the hill. Make sure you turn off that damn ringer when youre in the Gondola, or you might give the impression that youre some bonehead from the city or JERSEY!
-protective gear- Ive been skiing and riding for nearly 18 years now and ive found a lot of comfortable protective gear you can wear to protect from bumps, bruises, and broken bones that could surely cut your day short. I wear a carbon fibre knee brace from EVS. This helps keep my bad knee supported and the brace will break before your leg will to help reduce the chances of broken femurs and re-injury of the ligaments and the knee joint. If you dont have any past knee injuries, but need support, check out the other braces offered from EVS. They have braces to stabilize the joint, and keep everything where its supposed to be. These braces also keep the joint warm, so you dont get stiff as quick. I also picked up a pair of there padded riding shorts. They are basically lycra bike shorts with padding sewn in to protect the tailbone and hips in a fall. These shorts have saved the day for me numerous times, and i dont need to have a hemroid pillow handy when i smash my buns. Adding a kidney belt to your gear can also help make your day more comfortable. I purchased a nice one from EVS last season and wear it nearly everytime i ride. The large elastic belt gets super tight and supports your lower back and your internal organs, which keeps you comfortable and also keeps the snow outta your underwear! When I race BX or if im trying new tricks and the kickers are firm I rock a awesome "flak jack" from sixonethree. This is basically a tight fitting lycra shirt with built in shoulder and elbow caps, a built in spine protector, and some minor padding on your chest and ribs. It looks great, you cant even see it underneath your jacket, and it keeps you pretty warm too. Something that noone ever has, but probably should have is a mouthguard. You can get one at any hockey or teamsports retailer for under 5 dollars. Simply mould it following the directions and you will have a good fitting mouthguard that ill protect your teeth, tongue, and help prevent possible concussions and broken jaw. I think all kids should be wearing a mouthguard when they ski or snowboard. If youre scared of falling, go get some of this gear... not only will it protect you if you fall, but it will also give you piece of mind when youre pushing your limits. Hope this information was helpful!
EVS Protective Gear
http://www.motoworldracing.com/evs-riding-gear.html
[/url]

freeheelwilly
03-15-2006, 09:30 AM
A couple of things that can make your time on the mountain a bit safer for you and yours...
-Helmet- I cannot stress the importance of a high-quality, proper fitting helmet. A few years back, when i was 20, I suffered a severe crash and was knocked unconscious, WITH A HELMET ON. The ski patrollers that took care of me said that if I had not been wearing the helmet I would have died or been in diapers for the rest of my life. Everyone on the mountain, begginner or expert, should be rockin a helmet.
-2 way radios- If you have a large group, or are all new to the mountain you are riding, you should consider purchasing a few sets of two-way radios to keep in touch with the members of your group, and in emergency cases the ski patrol. It is important to know how to use your radios very well before you get out on the mountain and are using them. Check with the patrol services and see if they have a certain channel you can use to get in touch with patrol in an emergency. They can also save you time when trying to get your group back together to break for lunch, go home, or keep tabs on the kiddies.
-cell phone- I know that it is a faux-pas to being your cell on the mtn with you, but in the event of a emergency you can call 911 and get help fast on the hill. Make sure you turn off that damn ringer when youre in the Gondola, or you might give the impression that youre some bonehead from the city or JERSEY!
-protective gear- Ive been skiing and riding for nearly 18 years now and ive found a lot of comfortable protective gear you can wear to protect from bumps, bruises, and broken bones that could surely cut your day short. I wear a carbon fibre knee brace from EVS. This helps keep my bad knee supported and the brace will break before your leg will to help reduce the chances of broken femurs and re-injury of the ligaments and the knee joint. If you dont have any past knee injuries, but need support, check out the other braces offered from EVS. They have braces to stabilize the joint, and keep everything where its supposed to be. These braces also keep the joint warm, so you dont get stiff as quick. I also picked up a pair of there padded riding shorts. They are basically lycra bike shorts with padding sewn in to protect the tailbone and hips in a fall. These shorts have saved the day for me numerous times, and i dont need to have a hemroid pillow handy when i smash my buns. Adding a kidney belt to your gear can also help make your day more comfortable. I purchased a nice one from EVS last season and wear it nearly everytime i ride. The large elastic belt gets super tight and supports your lower back and your internal organs, which keeps you comfortable and also keeps the snow outta your underwear! When I race BX or if im trying new tricks and the kickers are firm I rock a awesome "flak jack" from sixonethree. This is basically a tight fitting lycra shirt with built in shoulder and elbow caps, a built in spine protector, and some minor padding on your chest and ribs. It looks great, you cant even see it underneath your jacket, and it keeps you pretty warm too. Something that noone ever has, but probably should have is a mouthguard. You can get one at any hockey or teamsports retailer for under 5 dollars. Simply mould it following the directions and you will have a good fitting mouthguard that ill protect your teeth, tongue, and help prevent possible concussions and broken jaw. I think all kids should be wearing a mouthguard when they ski or snowboard. If youre scared of falling, go get some of this gear... not only will it protect you if you fall, but it will also give you piece of mind when youre pushing your limits. Hope this information was helpful!
EVS Protective Gear
http://www.motoworldracing.com/evs-riding-gear.html
[/url]

Dude. WTF?!

AdironRider
03-15-2006, 09:46 AM
This isnt football man, I dont need body armor.

Phineas
03-15-2006, 10:11 AM
certainly some good advice for the JIbNation crowd. All them man made structures are tough on the body...

I was three for four off the cross over loop on Saturday; the one crash was a result of a snowboard children putzing on the launch pad which resulted in me having to make two turns to avoid them which dumped speed resulting in me trying to make more of it than I had speed for - resulting in body too forward, landing short and over the tips - face first summersault! But snow was soft and it wasn't my time...

I think HoleShot is preaching the good gospel but "U cant teach old dogs new tricks..."

SKIdds
03-15-2006, 11:07 AM
Seeing as a professional SBX rider died on the mountain during a routine training run on a fall that probably wasn't unlike some you'll find in the park, especially from those who are throwing bigger tricks, and I suppose extra protection for that crowd isn't bad advice.

As for the skiers amongst us, helmets, communications, knee braces for bum knees.........hard to argue with any of that.

frashdog
03-15-2006, 11:48 AM
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/photos/300/g9070.jpgFull plastic protection, $150 on ebay, made for sport bikes. Fits nicely under my jacket, most people just think I'm buff :lol: I always wear this along with composite helmet, knee and hip pads. I can be seen frequently skimming along the snow at speed throwing down old school brake dance floor moves. I'm able to push myself in a much higher compfort zone with my gear on.

I've broken both collar bones, arms, wrist, jaw, knocked out teeth, damaged shoulders and knees, countless stitches and black outs, blablity bla....If you push it , might want to protect it. I plan on playing till I'm way old.