PDA

View Full Version : super pipe?

frashdog
03-14-2006, 08:03 PM
So we finally get to ride the half pipe, oh horray. This is a bit lame. Actually this is wicked lame. This is supposed to be an olympic caliber mountain and we do not get a pipe until the last month of the season :cry: We're just pumping out pipe riders from this area, yea pumping them out to areas with pipes.

I'm no expert, but it looks like they could have saved a bit of time (cash) by doing more excavating/shaping work in the summer.

And how much money was spent on making the pipe this year? The number I heard from an employee (not fact) was in the hundreds of thousands. Suppose passes go up next year too right.

I wonder...would they have even bothered making one this year if the competetion had not come?

AdironRider
03-14-2006, 11:50 PM
I agree, I was pretty dissapointed in Whiteface this season in the pipe department. They have a perfect setup to regulate the pipe riders exclusively with their own lift. Set up some rails on the lead in. I think that would make skiers happy, as well as boarders.

tjf67
03-15-2006, 07:46 AM
I agree, I was pretty dissapointed in Whiteface this season in the pipe department. They have a perfect setup to regulate the pipe riders exclusively with their own lift. Set up some rails on the lead in. I think that would make skiers happy, as well as boarders.

It looked like to me they were trying all year to get the thing up and going. They just kept getting busted. January they could not make snow.

How could they make it better.

I say but a tent over the whoel thing and blow snow underneath it. Like those plastic things they put over feed for cows. That will allow all the snow blown to get to the pipe as well as avoid erosion from the rain when it comes. Different? Yes but I think it would work.

Son of Drifter
03-15-2006, 09:18 AM
So we finally get to ride the half pipe, oh horray. This is a bit lame. Actually this is wicked lame. This is supposed to be an olympic caliber mountain and we do not get a pipe until the last month of the season :cry: We're just pumping out pipe riders from this area, yea pumping them out to areas with pipes.

I'm no expert, but it looks like they could have saved a bit of time (cash) by doing more excavating/shaping work in the summer.

And how much money was spent on making the pipe this year? The number I heard from an employee (not fact) was in the hundreds of thousands. Suppose passes go up next year too right.

I wonder...would they have even bothered making one this year if the competetion had not come?

Cry me a river. They tried and worked like hell to get that thing up and running but mother nature never was on their side. There are plenty of other places to ride at the Face, the park, in the woods, the slides but all you hear about is how the pipe wasn't open. Big freaking deal. There are plently of other mountains with pipes that if you REALLY REALLY had to ride in a pipe you could go to. Why don't you get a season's pass from one of them dog? Save the whine for the cheese. :twisted:

SKIdds
03-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Hey, I couldn't care less whether or not there was a pipe, but I'd have to go with the halfpipe being low on the WF priority list as much as I'd blame mom nature. As you point out, plenty of other mountains (who had to deal with the same January) have pipes up and running. Other than that I agree........don't like the way WF sets its priorities and there are plenty of other places to ski or ride.

AdironRider
03-15-2006, 09:44 AM
SOD shut up. Whiteface didnt try their hardest to get a pipe up and you know it. Every other resort that wanted to put one up did, and they had the same crappy January weather that Whiteface did. Just becuase you dont want a pipe, doesnt mean hundreds of other paying customers dont. Plus, it will attract more people to the mt. More people = more money for snowmaking, maybe even that expansion I keep hearing about but never see any progress on. Also, before you flame me for adding people to the mt. look at the setup Whiteface has going for them. I cant think of a single resort that Ive been to in NE that has a better setup for just a halfpipe. They have a lift right next to the pipe that will quarantine all the park rats there, leaving the goods to you. Wheres the problem? Just because youve got a thing against boarders doesnt mean you have to have a thing against the pipe, last I checked skiers ride pipe as well. Arent you supposed to be one of those hospitality guys anyways? Id like to see the reactions you give the gapers on the weekends from Jersey.

Tsavolion
03-15-2006, 09:53 AM

their priority was opening up the whole mountain and getting the trails in decent shape. this is the earliest they have had the whole mountain open. They had great conditions all season despite the fact that we had barely any natural snow. I am quite pleased that they did not waste their effort on buiulding a stupid half pipe. They knew about the world cup too...i would imagine that they wanted to wait and make sure that is was pefect for that competition, not build it early and have it ruined by all of the gapers.

AdironRider
03-15-2006, 10:08 AM
I really hate the snowmaking was better spent elsewhere argument. Every resort that wanted a pipe put one in and still had enough coverage on their trails. And let me clarify, Im not demanding a pipe be the first thing they make, let alone the most important. I ride and rarely go into the pipe actually, Id rather find some sweet natural hits than waste my time in a pipe. However the fact of the matter is that the ski industry is a business, and it just doesnt make sense to advertise the World Cup event all year, but only make a pipe the day before the comp, when it wont be used by 95% of Whiteface patrons. I overhead on Sat that it cost a couple hundred grand to make the pipe at Whiteface this year. Does it make sense to spend all that money when they wont be able to recoup much of that money this late in the season? I dont think so. A pipe isnt going to be ruined just cause Joe Veli from Jersey faceplants a week before, thats why they have pipe groomers. Face it, park riding, snowboarding and the freestyle skiing have brought millions of dollars and hundreds of thousands of new skiers and riders to the industry. Id like to see where most of you would be without your shaped skis today if it werent for some of the developments snowbaording and freestyle has had on the design of equipment. I just dont understand why people constantly tend to hate on this aspect of the sport these days.

tjf67
03-15-2006, 10:12 AM
SOD shut up. Whiteface didnt try their hardest to get a pipe up and you know it. Every other resort that wanted to put one up did, and they had the same crappy January weather that Whiteface did. Just becuase you dont want a pipe, doesnt mean hundreds of other paying customers dont. Plus, it will attract more people to the mt. More people = more money for snowmaking, maybe even that expansion I keep hearing about but never see any progress on. Also, before you flame me for adding people to the mt. look at the setup Whiteface has going for them. I cant think of a single resort that Ive been to in NE that has a better setup for just a halfpipe. They have a lift right next to the pipe that will quarantine all the park rats there, leaving the goods to you. Wheres the problem? Just because youve got a thing against boarders doesnt mean you have to have a thing against the pipe, last I checked skiers ride pipe as well. Arent you supposed to be one of those hospitality guys anyways? Id like to see the reactions you give the gapers on the weekends from Jersey.

You are communicating with narrow minded selfish people in here. Dont argue you can't win. Most are not rational.

frashdog
03-15-2006, 10:28 AM
their priority was opening up the whole mountain and getting the trails in decent shape. this is the earliest they have had the whole mountain open. They had great conditions all season despite the fact that we had barely any natural snow. I am quite pleased that they did not waste their effort on buiulding a stupid half pipe. They knew about the world cup too...i would imagine that they wanted to wait and make sure that is was pefect for that competition, not build it early and have it ruined by all of the gapers. I agree. Was amazing how much mountain was open early on. And yup yup to the gapers like me chewing it up. I've seen what has had to be done in the past to get the pipe to cup reg.s after it was already built.

Sooooo how about a mini pipe early season? Like the size it used to be years ago. Get's us dialed in for when the big one comes. Some good excavating work in the summer would be simple enough.

Cry me a river. They tried and worked like hell to get that thing up and running but mother nature never was on their side. There are plenty of other places to ride at the Face, the park, in the woods, the slides but all you hear about is how the pipe wasn't open. Uh Yea.... they sure tried like hell, at the last minute, cause the fact is they got it done when they needed it. Didn't they? All you really heard about is how the pipe was not open, for real? Is that all you really, really hear about? Not how great the snowmaking has been, or how bad the weather has been, or how really really cool the opening of the slides considering the weather has been?

There are plently of other mountains with pipes that if you REALLY REALLY had to ride in a pipe you could go to. Why don't you get a season's pass from one of them dog? Save the whine for the cheese. Yes there are lots of other mountains with pipes, none compare to what WF has to offer as a total package for me. Besides the fact I live minutes away. So you know what I'm going to do is voice my opinions and concerns in hopes of improving upon something that is already pretty dam good. Continous improvement is what it's called. And that whine and cheese thing...that's kind of really really old, like middle school old. How old are you son? :lol:

Phineas
03-15-2006, 10:49 AM
Dudes come on w/ all that negativity.. MoNat was consistently inconsistent this season. just brutal. WF values the JibNation crowd but has some unique factors that spreads resources thin at times.

First, WF is long and wide - takes significant amounts of manAmade to cover our trails. Second, we had world cup moguls to prepare for and weather was not helping; so lots of time/energy/money went to ensure a pre-Olympic event was the best it could be. Third, WF has serious commitments to junior racing programs and race trails need safe snow surfaces (JOs, Empire State Games). Fourth, the world cup snowboard event required a much larger pipe than I bet any mtn in the east built this season. Many times, during this season, WF attempted to build the pipe but weather always put the brakes on.

Holiday weeks are huge priority and for both Christmas and Presidents week the lead up was rain/warm wind/freeze so resources were diverted to address dangerous trial surfaces (again the long/wide factor adds to recovery time)

So it just was not in the cards this season - but its there now so have fun and take advantage!

Overall I think WF rocked as best they could this year and I appreciate their efforts!

Tsavolion
03-15-2006, 10:57 AM
Dudes come on w/ all that negativity.. MoNat was consistently inconsistent this season. just brutal. WF values the JibNation crowd but has some unique factors that spreads resources thin at times.

First, WF is long and wide - takes significant amounts of manAmade to cover our trails. Second, we had world cup moguls to prepare for and weather was not helping; so lots of time/energy/money went to ensure a pre-Olympic event was the best it could be. Third, WF has serious commitments to junior racing programs and race trails need safe snow surfaces (JOs, Empire State Games). Fourth, the world cup snowboard event required a much larger pipe than I bet any mtn in the east built this season. Many times, during this season, WF attempted to build the pipe but weather always put the brakes on.

Holiday weeks are huge priority and for both Christmas and Presidents week the lead up was rain/warm wind/freeze so resources were diverted to address dangerous trial surfaces (again the long/wide factor adds to recovery time)

So it just was not in the cards this season - but its there now so have fun and take advantage!

Overall I think WF rocked as best they could this year and I appreciate their efforts!

quit trying to suck up and get a quote on the home page!

Phineas
03-15-2006, 11:00 AM

quit trying to suck up and get a quote on the home page!

whatever!

Son of Drifter
03-15-2006, 11:01 AM

There's some hospitality right there. I express my view and get that reaction. Nice real nice. I know for a FACT that they tried but because they have other priorities like getting the top open early and keeping the trails covered they didn't have a lot of resourses to devote to the pipe. Don't tell me want I want and don't want. I love when the pipe is open because it frees up room on the mountain. And I don't hate snowboards. I know a lot of them. I'm just sick of hearing all the whining and crying about it not being open. I treat everyone on the mountain with respect unlike the way you treat people in this forum. Have a nice life. :twisted:

frashdog
03-15-2006, 11:20 AM
Overall I think WF rocked as best they could this year and I appreciate their efforts! I'll agree, in all they did a dam good job. Yes I am very happy with what we have, but I think we can do better.

BTW I am not a pipe rat, just an all mountain tele skier who likes to switch it up. Woods, groomers, park, pipe any where really. Most people I meet who do not like the pipe can not use it, it scares them :lol: IMO Not much beats a sunny 50 degree plus day in the pipe with the reggea tunes kickin.

Bottom line WF is not a charity org. they need to make money and user input (negative whining to some) is needed.

Peace

Phineas
03-15-2006, 11:29 AM
[quote]Bottom line WF is not a charity org. they need to make money and user input (negative whining to some) is needed.

Peace

No doubt and lots of constructive criticism worked to re-direct snowmaking to upper mtn earlier this season (on skyward be4 Christmas - how cool was that!)

and the new slide policy - that was a local rumble that helped to influence better slide access - yep constructive criticism works well....

I agree w/ U as well that WF offers a great total package and we can keep making it better (wish constructive criticism could effect a positive change w/ the weather though!!)

2001 - O what a second half of a season that was!! Snow strorms through third week of April!!

AdironRider
03-15-2006, 12:03 PM

There's some hospitality right there. I express my view and get that reaction. Nice real nice. I know for a FACT that they tried but because they have other priorities like getting the top open early and keeping the trails covered they didn't have a lot of resourses to devote to the pipe. Don't tell me want I want and don't want. I love when the pipe is open because it frees up room on the mountain. And I don't hate snowboards. I know a lot of them. I'm just sick of hearing all the whining and crying about it not being open. I treat everyone on the mountain with respect unlike the way you treat people in this forum. Have a nice life. :twisted:

Excuse me but you opened up this can of worms there buddy so be prepared for the heat when it gets shot back. This is a forum about Whiteface, and I can complain about things all I want. Last I checked Im a paying customer, and if I feel improvements can be made, Im within my rights to mention them. Frashdog makes a great point in that user input is how the mt is made better as a whole. My point above was just because YOU felt that resources were better spent elsewhere doesnt mean everyone feels the same way. Just like if Whiteface turned into Mt. Creek NJ Im sure YOU would be the first the first to bitch and whine. And if you think people have been bitching about it to much, then your just a tad sensitive there sally, I havent heard much of any complaining. I feel like this forum is just turning into a form of advertising for Whiteface. Pretty unfortunate as I felt this would have been a great place. Ill keep my thoughts elsewhere.

Son of Drifter
03-15-2006, 01:07 PM

Excuse me but you opened up this can of worms there buddy so be prepared for the heat when it gets shot back. This is a forum about Whiteface, and I can complain about things all I want. Last I checked Im a paying customer, and if I feel improvements can be made, Im within my rights to mention them. Frashdog makes a great point in that user input is how the mt is made better as a whole. My point above was just because YOU felt that resources were better spent elsewhere doesnt mean everyone feels the same way. Just like if Whiteface turned into Mt. Creek NJ Im sure YOU would be the first the first to bitch and whine. And if you think people have been bitching about it to much, then your just a tad sensitive there sally, I havent heard much of any complaining. I feel like this forum is just turning into a form of advertising for Whiteface. Pretty unfortunate as I felt this would have been a great place. Ill keep my thoughts elsewhere.

There really is a god. :twisted:

highpeaksdrifter
03-15-2006, 01:35 PM
When everyone agrees all the time a forum can become stale. The trick is not to make it personal or a flame war starts. Sometimes flame wars start on purpose then it's a death match to see who can be the most witty. I was certainly quilty of that at RSN and have tried to mend my ways here so it doesn't go the way of RSN. We can disagree and kid with each other, just keep it above the belt. :) All opinions are welcome, both positive and negative.

As Phineas pointed out constructive criticism can have a positive effect. I believe management at WF listens and tries to make all there customers happy. It’s just hard to please all the people all the time.

Phineas
03-15-2006, 02:19 PM
As Phineas pointed out constructive criticism can have a positive effect. I believe management at WF listens and tries to make all there customers happy. It’s just hard to please all the people all the time.

the correct use would be "their" customers - just think where over THERE when confussed about the their/there!

Tsavolion
03-15-2006, 03:17 PM

the correct use would be "their" customers - just think where over THERE when confussed about the their/there!

the mere fact that YOU are correcting peoples grammar makes me want to laugh out loud silly!

ronnyrider said sensitive sally! where has our little sensitive sally been. how dare he put up one post and leave!

bsmaven
03-17-2006, 05:34 PM
I was asking these same questions backi in January check the posts!. Ok so WF doesn't make the pipe a priority, and they can't seem to do what other mountains do. Fine, then don't advertise the damn pipe on your website and other places!!!! Then don't open it up just for world cup! Unless you call WF you would never know that the pipe is not open. Most times they show it open on the trail map. In most places that would be called lying or false advetrising. The only whiners i read are you suckers sticking up for poor whiteface who "is trying really hard to get the whole mountain open" If they are not going to open the pipe, say so, don't list it on the trail map and don't mention it in the pipe and park web page with all the pictures. Are these guys used car salesmen? Why are SOD and others defending them?

highpeaksdrifter
03-17-2006, 05:44 PM
Why are SOD and others defending them?

It's our place, we love it there. No ski area is perfect. No problem voicing your complaints. If I was a half pipe guy I'd be ticked too. Hopefully, next season it will get open early.