PDA

View Full Version : TREACHEROUS

03-15-2006, 01:53 PM
6-8 inches of snow at 2100’ elevation in LP. Very little snow at WF. With the soft cement setting up from yesterday we now have hard cement with a few inches of snow covering up all the imperfections. Those frozen softball size pieces of ice that have glued themselves to the mountain will pull your ski out from under you in a heartbeat. Look out for the ditches left by the groomers. They are now hidden with blown soft snow. Most of the mountain is closed. There is a sign at the gondola that said EXPERTS ONLY. Lots of blue boilerplate ice on the top. Hopefully it will keep snowing so the weekend will get better. I saw snow snails going up the mountain faster than the gondola. The poor tourists from Ontario. Thank goodness for beer.

Phineas
03-15-2006, 02:30 PM
hahahah thats a good one! I saw a bunch of the Ontario people leaving the hotel my beautiful girlfriend works at this morning. I said to myself "enjoy the dust on crust" I felt bad for them; they were all smiles cause of the snow in LP....

an excerise in futility this year... I said in the fall that if we got another crap winter this would be it for me on the east coast... three strikes in a row! I'm thinking Big Sky country... Heard them mtn towns have not gone all tinsel yet...

tjf67
03-15-2006, 02:46 PM
6-8 inches of snow at 2100’ elevation in LP. Very little snow at WF. With the soft cement setting up from yesterday we now have hard cement with a few inches of snow covering up all the imperfections. Those frozen softball size pieces of ice that have glued themselves to the mountain will pull your ski out from under you in a heartbeat. Look out for the ditches left by the groomers. They are now hidden with blown soft snow. Most of the mountain is closed. There is a sign at the gondola that said EXPERTS ONLY. Lots of blue boilerplate ice on the top. Hopefully it will keep snowing so the weekend will get better. I saw snow snails going up the mountain faster than the gondola. The poor tourists from Ontario. Thank goodness for beer.

tough conditions but its kida fun skiing on that stuff sometimes. It tests your survival skill. You learn you lesson quick if you get back on your skiis.

highpeaksdrifter
03-15-2006, 06:04 PM

What a great day. lots of fresh powder and it kept getting better :D Best skiing was lower sky cuz upper mt was closed and hardly anybody used the yellow dot trail to get to the huge stash on skiers right.. Skied til my legs went to rubber (well past 8:45, Drifter)

I was thinkin of taking Friday off and heading up if conditions where good. These reports together are most confusing.

Faceplant
03-15-2006, 06:06 PM
What mt were you at???? Tho there was an "experts only" sign at the gondy, the conditions were anything but. Yeah, there was ice under there but no problem carving ( and I haven't tuned my skis in a few weeks). it wasn't that heavy spring snow, twas light and fluffy. Its usually a lot worse on a big saturday afternoon when the trails are scraped clean. I found lots of good stuff. Lower sky and drapers were loads of fun!!!!

03-15-2006, 06:22 PM
If you think today was great you need to get out more often.