PDA

View Full Version : Gore parks

Lbtchnlgs
03-15-2006, 10:25 PM
I do not understand what gore is doing as far as terrain parks go. Their biggest mistake was removing the 'half pipe' from the face of the mtn. They have a cutting machine leaned up against the Groomer barn, I dont see why they dont blow 8 feet of snow and make some sort of pipe, Im not saying a 22 ft wall super pipe but at least something mess around in. It is in the perfect location so that the lodge can be amused and its off to the side of a very wide trail, why anyone would complain baffles me.

its hard not to laugh at their terrain parks. worst excuse for parks i have ever seen. Whiteface is the mother mountain, olympic caliber facilities? show it! Dont put your main park on a bunny hill and expect people to be happy. :evil:

St. Jerry
03-16-2006, 08:20 AM
Gore always seems to miss the "big picture" with a lot of things. But, to be honest, that's fine with me. I like gore for what it dosen't have: lots of crowds because it dosen't cater to snowboarders or beginners. (if it ever did get its act together with these two huge markets, it could be one of the most popular mountains in the east, but also much more crowded. So, I'm fine with the way it is.)

highpeaksdrifter
03-16-2006, 01:36 PM
Gore always seems to miss the "big picture" with a lot of things. But, to be honest, that's fine with me. I like gore for what it dosen't have: lots of crowds because it dosen't cater to snowboarders or beginners. (if it ever did get its act together with these two huge markets, it could be one of the most popular mountains in the east, but also much more crowded. So, I'm fine with the way it is.)

When I ski Gore it's usually with my 11 year old and I let him bring a friend or 2. When the friend is a snowboarder I always feel bad for him. Too many flat spots. The worst is getting off the summit quad and heading for Lies or Open Pit. Boarders either walk or push with one foot and it seems like it takes them forever and alot of energy. The terrain there is sure not snowboard friendly.

10-19-2006, 07:36 AM
The "parks" are a joke. A silly subsititue to shut up those damn snowboarders and XxXtreme Skierz. It's lame.

Someone above me commented and said they're missing the big picture, along with two gigantic markets, although they're kinda making a step to really put a lock down on beginner/learning centers.

the parks are trash, they're missing the boat, and from what's been said...nothing is coming for a few years....and then some. Don't hold your breath.

Tobesssss
10-19-2006, 07:41 AM
I think what Tmorry is saying is completely false. I think the parks at gore are thriving. They have some of the most extreme 3 foot rails and gnarliest funboxes i have every seen in the northeast. It is way better than any other "good" park such as West Mountain and Williard. I think that what Gore is doing is not only being a place to really embrace the art of freeriding but also they are being a pioneer to the entire "Genre" of skiing and snowboarding.

10-19-2006, 07:52 AM
I think what Tmorry is saying is completely false. I think the parks at gore are thriving. They have some of the most extreme 3 foot rails and gnarliest funboxes i have every seen in the northeast. It is way better than any other "good" park such as West Mountain and Williard. I think that what Gore is doing is not only being a place to really embrace the art of freeriding but also they are being a pioneer to the entire "Genre" of skiing and snowboarding.

You're so smart. Period and exclimation.

alexcaraco
10-20-2006, 09:55 PM

sarcasm meter 10.

in all seriousness, i didnt buy my pass to gore this season just because of an email sent back to tmorry and several other freeskiiers and riders concerning the park, by Dave B. Basically flat out said that gore has a solid enough base of OTHER people at their mountain that they dont need to be concerned with the park. well dave, i am part of your business, whether you want me to be or not. and either you make some effort to make my days at gore more enjoyable, or you lose business. understood you have all kinds of shit to run through with the state, but gore is running a fucking ski resort. obviously there are going to be insurance issues. if gore really gave a shit at all, they could make a good enough case for better park features and funding as they do for cutting new trails and glades- just as risky as the park. and since you take the stand you do, im sitting at the desk looking at my jiminy pass. everyone who likes freestyle terrain knows gores rep for a shitty park. come on now.

BigAirJay
10-21-2006, 07:52 PM
Everybody complains about it, but who has actually done something about it. I know Tmorry has tried talking to them and even presenting statistics that they so nicely ignored, but has any one else done anything. I going to try to do park crew instead of teaching, so I can hopefully help give them a step in the right direction. Plus teaching isn't to fun when you are just picking kids off the ground at the bottom of the J-bar for two hours.

alexcaraco
10-21-2006, 08:44 PM
i think we should start focusing our arguments towards a really good park at the bowl and the trails leading to the bowl. there is room to put stuff and its kinda like throwing all the freestylers to the bottom side of the hill, something gore would probly approve of doing, so all those gnarly tricksters wouldnt get in the way.

10-21-2006, 11:09 PM
Everybody complains about it, but who has actually done something about it. I know Tmorry has tried talking to them and even presenting statistics that they so nicely ignored, but has any one else done anything. I going to try to do park crew instead of teaching, so I can hopefully help give them a step in the right direction. Plus teaching isn't to fun when you are just picking kids off the ground at the bottom of the J-bar for two hours.

It's true, but you can't get past any form of NEW action without out first opening the dialogue floodgates. You'll do park crew(and hopefully not just shred all day) and make improvements on the existing things...but that's not much to improve on. It's already shitty as hell...now say good dialogue is opened about new rails and jump building techinques, and then something is done about it financially and mountain-managerally by Gore, then the real direct-action by all of us could happen. Until then it's just putting band-aids on an broken bone.

alexcaraco
10-22-2006, 02:41 PM
were kinda workin on the dialogue right now, we gotta find out the money issue then maybe toos around some ideas for how to get more funding. whiteface has enough tourism so funding will keep going there, i think gore needs some more events- mybe make the big air actually big with helmets required and a 15$ fee, with a 40 footer, and a waiver. then maybe. just remember battesh, 30 degrees for a landing.

mattchuck2
10-23-2006, 02:21 PM
Well, Gore is looking for a new park manager because the guy who was in charge of the parks is probably going back to grooming. You guys should apply for the job.

Gore is probably right that they have a base of other skiers and they don't really need to worry about the park/pipe crowd. But, it is a segment of the skiing population that they are missing out on and if they are really serious about drawing people away from the VT mountains, they should address the issue ASAP.

I did note in the other thread that once the Ski Bowl/Gore interconnect is completed, there will be a lighted pipe/park available for night skiing. Hopefully, it will be a little stronger than the stuff they have set up now.

BigAirJay
10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
Yea it's not set in stone yet that Jason will be a groomer, but that's the way it's looking now. I think the new park manager will just be one of the snowboarders that did nothing in the park, but was park crew last year, unless someone completly new with experiance comes around. Yea so were pretty much looking at a worse park then last year.

alexcaraco
10-23-2006, 08:00 PM
good call^. also, how many people died or were seriously injured last year just by skiing? or in glades? i know i heard a new story almost every weekend. and people going technically off trail in the glades do so at their own risk with a high risk of getting lost or hitting a tree. however i hear no stories of someone who died from falling on a park jump.also, if they are concerned about liability issues on jumps, how could you sue for hitting a jump? doesnt the purchase of a ticket or pass have a statement on the back saying that you ski at your own risk?

10-24-2006, 06:53 AM
This is what it could be.(Sleighrides has way more potential than Gully)

20 foot flat rail >> 30 foot down rail >> 35 foot flat-down rail

20 foot flat box >> 30 foot up box >> 35 foot flat down rail

30 foot jump.

I'd be totally stoked and happy, but chances are subtract 15 feet from all those measurements...

alexcaraco
10-24-2006, 11:44 AM
"I'd be totally stoked and happy, but chances are subtract 15 feet from all those measurements..."

35-15=20=better then 8...

alexcaraco
10-24-2006, 11:45 AM
also i hear there is a "suprise" in the works but have yet to figure it out.

10-24-2006, 02:14 PM
20 is better than 8, if the following features grow exponentially, not shrink at that rate.

The surprise, well I can only speculate it but my guess is it's going to be the friday/saturday night park over at the Ski Bowl along with a "pipe" in the next two years.

alexcaraco
10-24-2006, 03:28 PM
20 is better than 8, if the following features grow exponentially, not shrink at that rate.

The surprise, well I can only speculate it but my guess is it's going to be the friday/saturday night park over at the Ski Bowl along with a "pipe" in the next two years.

nope. its this year, comes in dozens, and is from the sky, according to dane. they know what it is, but jay wont release it. an d dane said it was gay, so idunno. i heard a rumor about a quarter pipe on the face, but i have no idea.

10-25-2006, 07:03 AM

nope. its this year, comes in dozens, and is from the sky, according to dane. they know what it is, but jay wont release it. an d dane said it was gay, so idunno. i heard a rumor about a quarter pipe on the face, but i have no idea.

Things that come in dozens from the ski. A foot of snow. 12 rails helicoptered in. A QP on the face would be a wreck(everyone would ski into it to test it out) At least make the QP at the end of your actual park(Sleighride).

P.S. I'm claiming Gully isn't even a park anymore, personally. They should make sleighride 1/2 decent and put all the shiesty 8 foot rails in gully.

alexcaraco
10-25-2006, 02:46 PM
battesh is claiming the suprise is the qp. i predict destroyed in 2 days because of overuse.

10-25-2006, 03:39 PM
Teh surpirizee is the QP on duh face right where the old lolz big air uzed to b.

alexcaraco
11-01-2006, 12:58 PM
omfg lolz, i h0p3 they are not jk -ing. g2g bbl

11-01-2006, 03:29 PM
It's sad I was that drunk at 4:39pm.

colonel klink
11-01-2006, 04:21 PM
i know what it is but i cant tell you

11-01-2006, 04:27 PM
It's a QP. At least thats what my ear to the street tells me.

colonel klink
11-01-2006, 04:32 PM
that and another thing but i have to be careful about what i say as to not ruin something for my self. and ya the second part will most likely be a let down. as it is being bought from some where

colonel klink
11-01-2006, 04:38 PM
FUCK IT HALF A DOZEN RAILS COMMIN. MOST LIKELY SHITTY

11-01-2006, 05:21 PM

Yah...everyone knew that...so you didn't even need to swear.

alexcaraco
11-01-2006, 05:59 PM

hi dane. welcome.

colonel klink
11-02-2006, 12:51 PM

i know more tho

colonel klink
11-02-2006, 12:55 PM

what i can't swear on here?

11-02-2006, 10:11 PM

what i can't swear on here?

Basically Gore/WF have affiliation, and they used to have a similar forum with RSN...too many people overran it and litered and they pulled the plug on it...this is the new creation...

Lbtchnlgs
11-02-2006, 11:51 PM
personally i do not see the reason for swearing- its a message board online its not like you don't have time to re-read what you post. Maybe your trying to be noticed but it just makes you look trashy. maybe thats what your going for, whats the point?

colonel klink
11-07-2006, 12:46 PM
personally i do not see the reason for swearing- its a message board online its not like you don't have time to re-read what you post. Maybe your trying to be noticed but it just makes you look trashy. maybe thats what your going for, whats the point?
i couldn't care less about how i sound on the internet

mikebike
11-07-2006, 07:12 PM
"Klink.....You Idiot"..... tone down your language......signed General Birkhalterer

now before you freak....if you watched Hogan's Hero's you know Birkhalter often called Klink and Idiot

now go see Fraulien Hilda :lol:

colonel klink
11-08-2006, 03:21 PM
"Klink.....You Idiot"..... tone down your language......signed General Birkhalterer

now before you freak....if you watched Hogan's Hero's you know Birkhalter often called Klink and Idiot

I have learned from my actions not to do that

alexcaraco
11-09-2006, 12:58 PM

I have learned from my actions not to do that

what a good little boy

Hute
11-19-2006, 12:45 AM
Ok, so im new around here. Ive been tryin to find pictures from gores park, but havent found any. So what do you guys actually have there? Rails, Jumps? You guys all say it sucks. I hope there is at least something to do in the park. Because i already bought a season pass.

Lbtchnlgs
11-19-2006, 10:20 AM
Ok, so im new around here. Ive been tryin to find pictures from gores park, but havent found any. So what do you guys actually have there? Rails, Jumps? You guys all say it sucks. I hope there is at least something to do in the park. Because i already bought a season pass.

A couple jumps, spine some small rails. dont focus on the park though just go out and find some stashes you wont be disapointed

NPN
11-19-2006, 10:40 AM

Well, the good news is, your pass is also good at Whiteface where they put much more time, and effort into their park systems.

Hute
11-19-2006, 04:54 PM
How big are the jumps ? Or what kind of rails you guys have ?

NPN
11-19-2006, 05:22 PM
How big are the jumps ? Or what kind of rails you guys have ?

If you're asking me about Whiteface's parks, etc., I'm afraid you're talking to the wrong person because I suck in the air, and, as a result, don't spend much time in them.

What I can tell you is that there are usually, once the season is in full swing, four different park sections. One is a starter park. One is big with a series of multiple size kickers on each feature. Another is also big but, if I remember correctly, containing fewer options per feature. And the last park is just above the half pipe, and has a series of different rails set up one after the other.

You might want to call Whiteface, and talk to the guys from the park service to get a better answer.

Hute
11-19-2006, 10:42 PM
Ok thanks NPN! I might be snowboarding more on gore because my hostfamily just bought a place from there. oh yes btw im exchange student. And im gonna be here for this winter. But yeah what about gores park. What kind of rails and jumps? Because i have like no idea what should i expect. Well where i come from, we kids work hard with our own park, and thats why its sometimes in decent shape. Otherwise it would be like a piece of shit all the time. I dont know how it works around here. Do you guys take care of the park at all yourselves? Like build up a new kicker for the box or something like that.

NPN
11-19-2006, 10:57 PM
Ok thanks NPN! I might be snowboarding more on gore because my hostfamily just bought a place from there. oh yes btw im exchange student. And im gonna be here for this winter. But yeah what about gores park. What kind of rails and jumps? Because i have like no idea what should i expect. Well where i come from, we kids work hard with our own park, and thats why its sometimes in decent shape. Otherwise it would be like a piece of s*** all the time. I dont know how it works around here. Do you guys take care of the park at all yourselves? Like build up a new kicker for the box or something like that.

Sorry, I don't know where you're from, but only authorized employees work on the parks in this neck of the woods.

Welcome to the lawsuit capital of the World, and a sincere welcome to upstate NY.

Chin up, just because Gore's park has been pathetic in seasons past doesn't mean they won't throw a little more money that way in the future.

fujative.
11-20-2006, 07:10 PM
heres a little video we put together from a day last season...
http://media.putfile.com/gore-skiing

Lbtchnlgs
11-21-2006, 11:18 AM
nice video

Hute
11-21-2006, 05:01 PM
Thanks fujative! nice skiing! That shows what kind of park they have. Rails in the park looked ok, but the jumps could be a bit bigger. Oh yes by the way NPN i'm from Finland. I kinda knew that here you can't do anything to the park. Yeap on my home mountain we do the park pretty much with the employees. Does anyone know whos in charge of the park ?

BigAirJay
11-23-2006, 08:01 PM
It was this guy Jason that did it last year, but they are thinking of making him a groomer, which would suck. They were looking for help in the park, but when my friend went up and said he wanted to me a digger, they didn't hire him. I was going to do park crew, but I'm not sure anymore. And if it is Jason feel free to help him out as long as no managers are around. Him and this kid the skis, Sam are the ones who are pretty chill up there.

mikebike
11-24-2006, 07:34 AM
nice video.... several sweeeet moves

8)

alexcaraco
11-24-2006, 08:53 PM
Thanks fujative! nice skiing! That shows what kind of park they have. Rails in the park looked ok, but the jumps could be a bit bigger. Oh yes by the way NPN i'm from Finland. I kinda knew that here you can't do anything to the park. Yeap on my home mountain we do the park pretty much with the employees. Does anyone know whos in charge of the park ?

if you really feel that something needs fixing, do it yourself. it has been done many times.

alexcaraco
11-24-2006, 08:58 PM
haha, i just realized how gay josh sounds in that video. and was that jays first box at the end?

Hute
11-26-2006, 08:55 PM
yaaaaaaaaap youre right alexcaraco. but some stuff you can't do by yourself. and it would be nice to know someone who knows whats going on with the park. yaaap hope it stays cold during the weeeek so it would stay open.

BigAirJay
11-27-2006, 06:52 PM
Opening weekend, they asked me to do park crew for them this year so most likely I will do that. And the kid Sam I mentioned before moved to western NY so they are looking to replace him (most likely will be Dane). As far as Jason the park manager becoming a groomer, it was going to be the park groomer which would be nice, but that didn't happen yet. I'll keep you posted with whats going on.

AdironRider
11-27-2006, 07:43 PM
Gores parks really do leave a lot to be desired. I dont even go in the park really but from a business standpoint, its just stupid to neglect an entire market segment like that.

Lbtchnlgs
11-27-2006, 08:44 PM
if they are going to keep the park at the gully I do not really see much room for improvement because there is just clearly not enough vert. As for being in charge of parks what does that put you in the position to do? Are they going to start making big(ger) rails, big(ger) jumps, and take care of bombed out ice holes for landings? If there is nothing like that in the plans i dont see what else could be done.

Here are some recemendations:

Bigger rails (save money and make them)
Maintained jumps especially landings

relocation of sleighride park a place that recieves more sunlight

ditch the whole gore e gully idea and put everything into a legit park elsewhere where park staff are focusing on one goal one solid park

not tryng to be a jerk just some ideas*

BigAirJay
11-28-2006, 11:40 PM
^ Thats exactly what we need is people expressing to Gore what they want. I really have no power over what they do. I don't even have the actual job yet, they've just asked me and I said that I wanted to. And when I do get the job, I'm not going to single handedly change the parks, I'm just going to be setting up fences and rebuilding lips and landings and shit with a shovel.

Lbtchnlgs
11-30-2006, 11:28 AM
^ Thats exactly what we need is people expressing to Gore what they want. I really have no power over what they do. I don't even have the actual job yet, they've just asked me and I said that I wanted to. And when I do get the job, I'm not going to single handedly change the parks, I'm just going to be setting up fences and rebuilding lips and landings and s*** with a shovel.

I just sent them a message in the suggestion box, gave them some ideas.

If people are going to complain in here any more at least do your part and give gore some ideas without being rude about it, they can't change anything unless they know what to do.

fujative.
12-05-2006, 07:41 PM
^ Thats exactly what we need is people expressing to Gore what they want. I really have no power over what they do. I don't even have the actual job yet, they've just asked me and I said that I wanted to. And when I do get the job, I'm not going to single handedly change the parks, I'm just going to be setting up fences and rebuilding lips and landings and s*** with a shovel.

If people are going to complain in here any more at least do your part and give gore some ideas without being rude about it, they can't change anything unless they know what to do.

i just did that too.

highpeaksdrifter
12-05-2006, 07:46 PM

Just a thought, why don't you guys drop a line in their suggestion box about a dirrect link hear from the Gore web site the way WF does? If enough of us do it maybe they'd would and we'd get more Gore posts.

Lbtchnlgs
12-05-2006, 07:52 PM
[/quote]Just a thought, why don't you guys drop a line in their suggestion box about a dirrect link hear from the Gore web site the way WF does? If enough of us do it maybe they'd would and we'd get more Gore posts.[/quote]

I did that a month or so ago, as soon as i did people got pretty negative in here about Gore- i assume they checked out the forums and opted 'no'. Not totally sure though- never recieved an e-mail back. I may have asked greg about it too w.o a response.

alexcaraco
12-07-2006, 03:30 PM
you cant really just whore their suggestion box talking about the park, the more negative you are with them, the less inclined thay are to help you. we got jay working in the park now so he and jayson can throw some ideas around.

colonel klink
12-08-2006, 04:01 PM
[quote="alexcaraco"]you cant really just whore their suggestion box talking about the park, the more negative you are with them, the less inclined thay are to help you. we got jay working in the park now so he and jayson can throw some ideas around.[/quote
Jay isnt gonna get anything done, Jason who is like thirty times higher on the ladder then him cant get any thing done. Its up too the management what happens and they are too conserned with thier racing programs which have been losing money. Gore advertise hardcore to families and beginers.

I find it funny how even willard(now my home mtn) has a better park for its size.

jimmer
12-08-2006, 09:23 PM
yo von klink wow willard thats abig step up, by the way r they open yet? :evil:

Hute
12-09-2006, 11:08 PM
Well if they are worried about the money, they should get some sponsors to the park. Some logos to the rails and stuff. That would be cool advertisement for some brand.

mikebike
12-10-2006, 07:43 AM
sponsorship in the Park would be a good idea.... getting the state to work with private sector could prove interesting.

We would need to be more positive here if we want the Mt to link here from their site. Also the language and inuendo would need to be toned down a bit. Not sure what the benefit would be except for better reporting of what is going on ....

food for thouhgt :roll:

alexcaraco
12-10-2006, 01:54 PM
well now jaysons having a kid. so maybe jay will have some influence. hahaha.

colonel klink
12-14-2006, 05:57 PM
yo von klink wow willard thats abig step up, by the way r they open yet? :evil:

nope and w/e its better than gore

alexcaraco
12-15-2006, 05:01 PM
gore could be better than willard. but they dont have good enough features. willards park is nothing to call home about, but they did buy a 50 foot down rail and they have way better features. gore has a way better opportunity to have some flow but they dont have good stuff. im about ready to buy one myself and donate it.

Nerdle
12-16-2006, 01:39 PM
parks are for needles...

12-17-2006, 08:42 AM
Gore, at least this season, CANNOT be better that willard. 50 foot flat rail, kinked boxes, stock barrel rails, jumps are very meh but still shaped better that Gore.

Hute
12-19-2006, 03:57 PM
I heard that they have new rails and boxes coming. even heard that they might be workin on a big ass battleship box. I don't even need that though. Im totally happy if they get any new rails!

alexcaraco
12-19-2006, 04:08 PM
battleship box would be so sick. dont get me stoked on rumors though...

Hute
12-19-2006, 05:00 PM
i know it might not gonna happen. but lets hope for new rails!

fujative.
12-20-2006, 02:25 PM
sponsorship in the Park would be a good idea.... getting the state to work with private sector could prove interesting.

We would need to be more positive here if we want the Mt to link here from their site. Also the language and inuendo would need to be toned down a bit. Not sure what the benefit would be except for better reporting of what is going on ....

food for thouhgt :roll:

sounds like something whiteface would do. o wait. they did. too bad gores so centered on racing.

alexcaraco
12-21-2006, 09:10 PM
since when does wf have sponsored features?