PDA

View Full Version : Beginner trails from Bear mountain

kornfein
03-20-2006, 01:09 PM
I was at Gore Sunday (better than expected), Since the snow was fast and the Top Ridge triple was very windy we decided to take Lower Cloud back to the Saddle. On the way over I looked to see where they could possibly put a beginner trail to the skiers left of Fairview. As far as I can tell to the left of Fairview is almost as steep (with a few cliffs they would need to blow away) and a flat bottom that can only empty on to Lower Cloud. Doesn't seem to promissing. When they first put up the Gondola the trail map had a trail they never built that turned right off FoxLair i would have thought it would be straight forward to build a trail from there to Sunway. Isn't there a road already that goes to the old gondola mid station?

On a related note I was tring to find the topo map that included the proposed Gore expansion lifts not sure if i saw it on this forum or somewhere else, any pointers would be appreciated.

takeahike46er
03-20-2006, 04:06 PM
I think Gore would be better off cutting a green trail down to Sunway on the eastern face of Bear. (Though, I'm not sure it is possible with all the cliff bands.) It would help eliminate some of the bottlenecking that occurs at the Saddle and distribute people across the mountain better.

Wa
03-20-2006, 08:28 PM
Can't find the expansion map, but here's the map when they first put the new gondi in.

http://skimaps.com/map2193

...and here's another after Foxlair cut back to where we ski it now

http://skimaps.com/map2441

adkman656
03-21-2006, 10:00 AM
If you want the accurate maps of Gore's expansion plan you can look at the UMP. It's a public document and should be available at Gore, in town, etc. I'm sure if you call the Town hall they have a copy you can look at. I saw the preliminary one at Gore and all the trails were laid out. Pretty impressive actually.

The beginner trail is slated to go down the area where the mountain bike trail is. They will have to blow out some rocks and regrade. won't be perfect, but will enable beginners to get to the North side and the saddle lodge. Should be a help, and move a bunch of people off Fox Laire. No other way to get a beginner trail off of the Bear Mt area that also gets to the saddle lodge and the north side and I guess that is a priority. They could put a beginner trail in that dumps down onto sunway somehow, but then those folks could never get to the North side or the Saddle...