PDA

View Full Version : Bikeface Freeride Park @ Whiteface Mountain. YEP BIKEFACE!

downhillmike
03-22-2006, 08:26 AM
I know this is a ski forum but i wanted to let you know of the epic mountain bike center that whiteface turns itself into during the summer months.
I like to call it Bikeface. We use the gondola for expert riders and we use the high peaks adventure bus to access the beginner and intermediate trails.
All runs off the gondola are advanced and you need a dh bike and previous dh experience. Even though we use exelsior off the gondola for one of our runs, it's considered extreme on a bike. We usually start on approach and then enter the singletrack right after you pass upper empire. Big fun!
The shuttle bus drops off bikers at the base of tower 10 hill on the lower valley trail. All these runs are beginner to intermediate, and very fun and fast. There are 27 bike trails in all.
Our trail map along with some pics and a cooll video our on our website www.highpeaksma.com

We open on june 23rd this year and close on columbus day [10-10-06].
We have awesome rentals bikes and all the necessary pads too. We even offer guided trips that come with all equipment and a guide to help you learn the basics of downhilling.

No other mountains offer close to the amount of vertical that we have here in the summer [2,500 ft']. Thet are only around 1000 ft' at best.

See ya at the face
Downhill Mike
Bikeface Freeride Park
@ Whiteface Mountain
Size does matter!

Phineas
03-22-2006, 09:47 AM
Word Downhill Mike!

Been riding at WF since the inception, back during the summer of 00 or was it 01??? I think 00. I like trail 26 and 24 through 10th mtn. 24 gots alot easier now that its worn.

I B riding a monster Yeti from leap-off cycles (Keene Valley bike shop) this season!

downhillmike
03-22-2006, 10:02 AM
yea i'm sure i must know you then.
since i post on like 10 mt. bike sites i thouhgt i'd let some skiiers know about what we do in the summer. personally i think every day in the summer @ bikeface is like a powder day that never tracks out, and you have it all to yourself.
Last year we averaged around 24 riders a day on weekends. It's a start. it looks like we'll be open 7 days a week this year. Hopefully racers and more locals will make it easier for us to survive.
We will be constructing a skills course on the mixing bowl trail this year. tabletops, hip jumps and a wall ride. we will also be adding some new features in the singletreack.
did you notice the small jump we made on upper 24 [old downhill run]. we didn't do it till late in the season and it's nothing major, just a niceley placed jump that helps the trail flow.
We need more bikers!
at high peaks cyclery and our web page is were you'll find the most up to date info on the dh biking at whiteface and mt. van hoevenburg's x-c trails.
check out our video that starts at the top of the summit rock just above the top of the gondola. it's on our web page if you go to downhill pages courtesy of jim and the crew from extreme sports exchange.com
our web page can also be found at whiteface's web page if you go to summer programs.

see ya this summer
Downhill Mike
Bikeface Freeride Park
@ Whiteface Mountain
Size does matter!