PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Whiteface

finallyss
09-15-2006, 01:16 PM
I want to make my first trip to Whiteface Mtn. What would be better around Jan. 3rd or the first week of March?
What is the closest lodging with an indoor pool?
How does Whiteface compare to someplace like Breckenridge?
Thanks for the help, Bill

Tsavolion
09-15-2006, 01:25 PM
I want to make my first trip to Whiteface Mtn. What would be better around Jan. 3rd or the first week of March?
What is the closest lodging with an indoor pool?
How does Whiteface compare to someplace like Breckenridge?
Thanks for the help, Bill

Or both! if i HAD to chose, i would say first week in march, usually more comfortable temps and we are hosting the world cup snowboard that week, so will be lots of excitement in town. I have never been to breck, so someone else could help you better than i, but i would say hard to compare east and west conditions. Whiteface is a big mountain with lots of vert and a nice laid back vibe. for indoor pool, you will have to stay in lake placid. plenty of indoor pools to chose from depending on how much you want to spend--mirror lake inn, hilton, crowne plaza, best western golden arrow all come to mind. lake placid has a shuttle to and from mountain, so no need to drive--about a 10 minute commute. hope that helps!

St. Jerry
09-15-2006, 01:27 PM
No comparison between Breck and Whiteface. And I don't mean that in a good way.

finallyss
09-15-2006, 01:52 PM
Thanks to both of you, your replies are helpful. I did not know Lake Placid was that close. The Mountain is worth the 11 hour drive from Michigan isn't it? We would ski 4 days. The largest vertical drop in Michigan is 600' and 1 mile long run.

St. Jerry
09-15-2006, 02:43 PM
go to Breck and ski Breck, Keystone, & A-Basin.

highpeaksdrifter
09-15-2006, 02:47 PM
No comparison between Breck and Whiteface. And I don't mean that in a good way.

Breck is hugh, mostly blue, crowded on weekends, the town is fun, but kinda Epcotish if you know what I mean.

WF is nowhere near the size, challenging, never crowded, best ski town in the Northeast.

East and West is a completely different experience. Breck is a so so Western mountain WF is a grat Eastern one. When you come post it here if you want to hook up with someone who knows their way around. This is a friendly board for new WF skiers and riders.

finallyss
09-15-2006, 05:17 PM
I am trying to take four people skiing / boarding for 4 or 5 days for under $2,500.00. I can drive to Whiteface in about 10 hours, get a hotel room for about 100.00 a night so with everything included I can do it for about that price. Airline tickets to Colorado are too expensive for me with college kids cost. This is why I am looking for a challenging / fun place to ski cheaper. I do know what you mean about the town of Breck, we were there last Easter. It was great skiing. Does Whiteface have a true 3,000 vertical drop? My wife and daughter have never been anywhere with more than a 600 drop. Thanks

highpeaksdrifter
09-15-2006, 05:43 PM
Does Whiteface have a true 3,000 vertical drop? My wife and daughter have never been anywhere with more than a 600 drop. Thanks

It's a legit 3,166 ft right off the summit chair lift. You can get even more when the Slides are open and you hike a bit.

highpeaksdrifter
09-15-2006, 05:46 PM
go to Breck and ski Breck, Keystone, & A-Basin.

A-basin da bomb. Keystone and Breck not so much. Copper, Vail, Winter Park, Loveland, all in easy range from the town of Breck, all better choices IMHO.

finallyss
09-17-2006, 07:27 PM
Is the difference the size of the mountain and the snow conditions?
The vert seems good, are there enough good runs?
Is Whiteface worth a 10 hour drive to ski? Much cheaper than going west.
Thanks you all are very helpfull.

tjf67
09-18-2006, 09:19 AM
I would not drive 10 hrs to ski the face in January. To unpredictable. March is the better option. There will be plenty of terrain to ski on.
The mountains out west are larger with respect to skiable terrain not vet drop. In March you will find plenty to ski. You will not be bored on or off the mountain.
The Best Western is the most reasonable place to stay with a pool.

Phineas
09-18-2006, 10:37 AM
we get great snow in Dec but the last three years, Christmas week weather not so good - so March is best bet.

Breck was OK when I skied there.. a litte on the flat side for me but the new imperial lift and the peak 8 and 9 chutes look sicko..

whiteface is not as spread horizontally as western mtns but the vertical spread is great. our trails are long and steep. Early March is great chance for deep snow. tree skiing at WF is condensed, steep but w/ the right conditions very fun.. some of the lower glades are more open and flat as well as lower mtn trails so intermediate skiers (tjf67) have opportunity for fun.

Upper mtn is generally wide trails (designed to accomandate world cup races) and fairly steep - a sustained steep. Lift setup keeps people on the mtn and not waiting in line

You will not be dissapointed skiing WF

finallyss
09-18-2006, 06:03 PM
You are all awesome. Thanks for the help, we will be there in early March. Will try to hook up with some of you then for a few runs, thanks again very nice of all of you.