PDA

View Full Version : Re-Vegetating Trails

takeahike46er
10-05-2006, 05:29 PM
Hypothetical:

It's the year 2015. The Tree-Island Pod is complete. Whiteface has reached the 25 mile limit that the ski area is constitutionally allowed. Whiteface tries unsuccessfully to raise the ceiling to 30 miles of trails. The ski area wants to add new terrain, but the only way to do so is to re-vegetate existing terrain. What currently existing trails do you re-vegetate and why?

St. Jerry
10-05-2006, 05:41 PM
I really wish I had the free time you have...

takeahike46er
10-05-2006, 06:54 PM
Just trying to get some interesting threads started here. :roll:

I'd could do without the switchbacks between Sky and Cloud. I wouldn't miss Essex too much if it meant a new black elsewhere.

Son of Drifter
10-06-2006, 08:07 AM

I'd could do without the switchbacks between Sky and Cloud. I wouldn't miss Essex too much if it meant a new black elsewhere.

The switch backs aren't going to give you a whole lot of miles back. Essex is a good call. Upper Boreen (a "blue" I think) could be filled in without anyone missing it. :twisted:

Tsavolion
10-06-2006, 09:58 AM

switchbacks between sky and cloud are good because the bottom of upper cloud opens earlier...also good way to sneak in and poach. i love essex..that is part of the "regular route" when taking gondi up for first time. I could do without upper northway over essex, upper thruway, i suppose if i had to get rid of some. I dont use lower wilderness too much, but thats the bump run, so you cant do away with that. I would want other blacks to compensate too. i could find plenty of blues and greens to get rid of, but thats what the majority of visitors want.

Son of Drifter
10-06-2006, 10:33 AM

switchbacks between sky and cloud are good because the bottom of upper cloud opens earlier...also good way to sneak in and poach. i love essex..that is part of the "regular route" when taking gondi up for first time. I could do without upper northway over essex, upper thruway, i suppose if i had to get rid of some. I dont use lower wilderness too much, but thats the bump run, so you cant do away with that. I would want other blacks to compensate too. i could find plenty of blues and greens to get rid of, but thats what the majority of visitors want.

Upper NW is a much better run than Essex. Essex is always in the shade and as a result it's almost always in worse condition than say NW. :twisted:

highpeaksdrifter
10-06-2006, 10:59 AM
I like Essex and Upper Northway, maybe they could get rid of Empire.

ONLY KIDDING :lol:

Tsavolion
10-06-2006, 11:17 AM

Upper NW is a much better run than Essex. Essex is always in the shade and as a result it's almost always in worse condition than say NW. :twisted: not part of the regular route!

takeahike46er
10-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Essex could go. Northway is similar enough that the variety of trails on the mountain wouldn't be affected. +1000 ft.

With Easy Acres expanding and all the greens concentrated on skier's left side of the mountain, perhaps Wolf and Wolf Run could go. Wolf is isolated, disconnected from any other green run making it only valuable from the bear lift. +2350ft.

Lose some of the switchbacks between Cloud and Sky. +600ft.

That would be +3950 ft, enough for additional full length trail, or 2 to 3 short trails/glades.

freeheelwilly
10-06-2006, 01:54 PM
Essex stays! It's one of the first blacks to open and skier's left on the lower half holds good snow. Plus, with more snow, that whacky bulge in the middle is a lot of fun skier's right. Plus it's part of the regular route and you can use it to avoid clusterfuck corner on excelsior and still get over to lower cloud and chair 6. Duh!

Here's the thing, other than nixing some silly greens maybe that really aren't needed- you don't need to get rid of anything! Most of the trails are far too wide for my tastes. We could get that MRG thing goin. Just revegetate the edges of almost all the trails. Essex is twice as wide as it needs to be and so is upper Northway. Lower wilderness should be just the bumps - skier's right sucks anyway-it's exactly the same pitch as Mountain Run. And Mountain Run - don't get me goin' on that! Lower sky and lower cloud could easily be halved in width - maybe more. Imagine lower sky as a windy trail? how cool would that be - it's gotta about 3 or four separate pitches on it - that would be cool.

And screw FIS regs. Who needs 'em!

So there it is. That's "The Answer". Next I'm gonna solve our nation's dependency on Middle Eastern Oil. It's so obvious!

Son of Drifter
10-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Essex stays! It's one of the first blacks to open and skier's left on the lower half holds good snow. Plus, with more snow, that whacky bulge in the middle is a lot of fun skier's right. Plus it's part of the regular route and you can use it to avoid cluster corner on excelsior and still get over to lower cloud and chair 6. Duh!!

With that rope at the bottom of essex on skier left it's becoming more difficult to cut across to lower cloud and chair 6. FILL IT IN ALREADY. :twisted:

takeahike46er
10-06-2006, 02:14 PM
...you can use it to avoid clusterfuck corner on excelsior and still get over to lower cloud and chair 6. Duh!

That's probably the best reason for keeping essex.

Here's the thing, other than nixing some silly greens maybe that really aren't needed- you don't need to get rid of anything! ... Just revegetate the edges of almost all the trails.

I'm all for narrower trails at WF. Seeing the plans to widen virtually every trail on the mountain makes me shudder. (<---------- are you reading this Ted Blazer?) Unfortunately, acreage doesn't matter with regards to a cap on trail mileage.

freeheelwilly
10-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Unfortunately, acreage doesn't matter with regards to a cap on trail mileage.

Oh.

Nevermind.

highpeaksdrifter
10-06-2006, 02:50 PM
[quote="takeahike46er"]
With Easy Acres expanding and all the greens concentrated on skier's left side of the mountain, perhaps Wolf and Wolf Run could go. Wolf is isolated, disconnected from any other green run making it only valuable from the bear lift. +2350ft.[/guote]

Besides the one trail coming down from the pod where is Easy Acres expanding. It should with al the traffic the new lodge and parking lot will bring, but I have not heard anything about new trails or lifts there. Fill me in.

highpeaksdrifter
10-06-2006, 02:52 PM
Unfortunately, acreage doesn't matter with regards to a cap on trail mileage.

I heard that before, it doesn't make alot of sense.

Tin Woodsman
10-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Do glades count against the cap?

takeahike46er
10-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Do glades count against the cap?

It would appear so based on the UMP. The glades are listed with their lengths and are tallied in with the total mileage.

Besides the one trail coming down from the pod where is Easy Acres expanding.

I didn't mean it is expanding as far as trails are concerned. With the lodge and the parking expanding it is becoming more and more of a self-contained area. So why not keep it all the beginner runs on that side?

ajl50
10-06-2006, 03:40 PM
Good quesiton- I was just going to ask that. If the glades count I would fill in the "silver" and the "golden glades." I would also close, Deer, Wolf and Wolf Run because nobody uses them despite the fact that they were trails I learned on.

takeahike46er
10-06-2006, 03:46 PM
If the glades count I would fill in the "silver" and the "golden glades."

Silver Glade is listed as 1425 ft.
Golden Glade is 950 ft.

2375 ft. = a "Mountain Run" length trail

AdironRider
10-09-2006, 08:14 PM
Id get rid of those pretty useless greens on the opposite side of the halfpipe. Then perhaps even a green or two over by the terrain park. That would open up some space for some harder trails off the summit/new trail pod.

skigolfhunt
10-10-2006, 07:52 AM
IMO Deer (under the bear chair) can go, use it only as a foot path for racing spectators. I'd keep those other two trails (Wolf/Wolf Run) they are useful for adult beginners & end of season lessons (kids campus closes early). Lower Valley could be narrowed some to give back acreage. Partial re veg on Connector from Excelsior to where the new John's Bypass ends (i'll have to ski it first, but I think the flat should go). And the Last turn on Follies is rarely open , give that back too.