PDA

View Full Version : Skiing and activities near Lake George, NY

hammer
10-06-2006, 12:38 PM
New to this forum but have been around Alpinezone for a while...

I just got reservations to stay at The Sagamore in Lake George, NY during the Christmas vacation week. The place looks pretty nice on the website, but I've never been to the area. It looks like Gore Mountain is not too far away, so I'm wondering what kind of terrain would typically be available there around that time. Also, are there other non-skiing activities in the area or other ski areas within a reasonable distance?

Wa
10-07-2006, 06:01 AM
Off the top of my head there is cross country skiing, horseback riding, and snow tubing in the area.

Lbtchnlgs
10-09-2006, 12:17 PM
Yes there are a good deal of things to do if you are staying at the Sagamore.

I actually saw your post in the Northeast forum and many people hit great things to do, I would especially try to get the hike of Black Mountain in on top there is a fire tower and some really great views, It is only about an hour and a half hike if you take the short route (aprox 2.2 mi?).

If the lake is frozen up well enough you could try ice fishing right in North West bay- If you like fishing this is a great spot and its a throw of a snowball from where you are staying! Even if you are not into fishing I would advise you to talk to some of the fishermen out there and maybe get to see them pull some nice fish in.

Off of the top of my head I think I remember someone encouraging getting to the top of Prospect mtn; I am almost positive that the close to road to cars/trucks and open it to snowmobiles and XC skiing and snowshoeing.

Another great spot that you could check is is Mount Defienace located in the town of Ticonderoga, there are great views of the champlain valley, lake champlain and fort Ticonderoga along with visual aids so that you know what you are looking at.

Have a Great time!