PDA

View Full Version : White Face Mountain - Open in Late October?

cyberfyber
10-10-2006, 06:33 PM
Hello,

I'd only visited Whiteface twice during a trip last year in August and we were quite blown away by it all!
Thing is, we're visiting again this October during the third week to the Lake Placid Area. I'm disappointed to find that neither the Memorial Highway nor the Gondola will be open during our visit.

Am I wrong about this? For us this is the highpoint of our visit. Yes, we'll be happy to see High Gorge Falls again, Ausable Chasm and more...But, for us WhiteFace is the end-all to top everything else.

Please tell me that I'm wrong. Please tell me that I CAN get to the top there during the third week of October 2006?
Thanks in advance for your help. :?:

oldskibum
10-10-2006, 06:43 PM
I think that you'll find that both close on Oct. 15. The foliage is gone, and snow coming on the high peaks, and they must prepare for the winter season (gondola maint.) and securing the summit facilities. Sorry. You could try ORDA.com they would tell you for certain.

cyberfyber
10-10-2006, 07:14 PM
Oh, no reason why anyone should be apologising since there was no getting around the Vacation Time Frame we were able to get.
Unfortunately Orda.com (Olympic Regional Development Authority) doesn't work right now.

Thanks btw for your input. It is graciously appreciated!

As for the foliage. Any reason to not think there might still be something to appreciate during that week in the Lake Placid Area? We'll be at Lake George during the first few days (Oct 21 - 24) then on to Lake Placid. I'd imagine as with any other area that the remnants of changing colors would still make the areas aesthetically pleasing to some extent (if at least small). We're not new to travelling during that time of year, but new to getting to THESE areas during this time.

I found great (spiritual) peace in both spots last year and can't imagine any lack of color totally ruining our trip anyhow. :D

ajl50
10-10-2006, 08:00 PM
Hike up- it's not a bad hike at all. Check out
http://alavigne.net/newHomePage/Outdoors/FeatureReports/Adirondacks/index.jsp?navpage=peakdetail&peakname=whiteface
it's got a good description of how to get up there.

cyberfyber
10-10-2006, 08:29 PM
Hmmmmm, with my bad hip which seems to be getting better with my workouts....methinks I CAN do that.

But question is, will the elevator be available at the top?, where the parking area is?...and even so, where would we park at the base? If not at the very base then how many more miles would that entail? Quite awhiles I'd imagine.

I probably can hike it and the end result would justify my suffering (really, it would!) despite my bad hip. BUT?

There's a number on their site for Contact Info which I'll call in the morning alongside the email I just sent.

Again, Many thanks!

PS, I saw snow capped images on that site. Quite beautiful! Have you been there during that time?...just curious.

oldskibum
10-10-2006, 09:15 PM
I'm not trying to be smart A--, but don't forget that if you hike up, you must also hike back down. Just concerned about your hip.

cyberfyber
10-10-2006, 09:39 PM
LOLOL,

Oh that's the easy part! Going downhill has always been easy for me. Even in pain which I've done plenty of times in extreme circumstances. (that is, being quite the umm, masochist?)...and hell, the trip would be the trophy in and of itself. I've done much worse in my time. I'm just for once trying to be smart regarding my health. I know my limits and climbing that last bit up the hiking trail will probably kill me. Thus, the question about the elevator.

'and no, you weren't being anywhere near out of line....Not at all!

My, I like this forum already!

thanks buddy! :D

Phineas
10-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Oh, no reason why anyone should be apologising since there was no getting around the Vacation Time Frame we were able to get.
Unfortunately Orda.com (Olympic Regional Development Authority) doesn't work right now.

As for the foliage. Any reason to not think there might still be something to appreciate during that week in the Lake Placid Area? We'll be at Lake George during the first few days (Oct 21 - 24) then on to Lake Placid. I'd imagine as with any other area that the remnants of changing colors would still make the areas aesthetically pleasing to some extent (if at least small). We're not new to travelling during that time of year, but new to getting to THESE areas during this time.

I found great (spiritual) peace in both spots last year and can't imagine any lack of color totally ruining our trip anyhow. :D

leaves are already down above 3,000 feet. coming from Lake George you might want to stay on Route 9N and follow it north in2 Ticonderoga where it becomes 9N/22. keep heading north through crown point, port henry and westport. at westport stay right on 22 then just past the DEC marina bear right onto Lake Shore Road- follow that into Essex. UR hugging Lake Champlain and traveling through some historic towns and amazing farm country. views east in2 VT are great (not as great as views west from VT in2 Dacks but...)

once in Essex take 22 back to Wadhams and look for 87 signs.

will take longer but UR at lower elevation and better chance for foilage and lots of pumpkin stands

Tsavolion
10-11-2006, 08:15 AM

the website is orda.org thats why is wasnt working for you. you can also go to whiteface.com to get info on other places to visit/things going on in the area. Lake George has not hit peak yet, so there should be something. Lake Placid will be way past peak. Regardless of leaves or not, the area is plenty aesthetically pleasing no matter what the season. Maybe you will even see a nice blanket of snow!

AdironRider
10-11-2006, 08:10 PM
I was hiking in the high peaks region last weekend (Sawteeth) and I was already a week past the peak leaf season. I cant see much being left by the time you get up here.

cyberfyber
10-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Thanks to everyone here for their helpful input. Uhuh, we'd driven up RT 9N and there abouts towards Fort Ticonderoga. It's such an immensely satisfying trip (long, but nice). So yup, probably that's what we'll do again this year.

As for missing out on any foliage in Lake Placid, I guess what will be will be? I'm sure we'll still enjoy ourselves all the same.

Again thanks everyone and Happy Autumn! :)